what are you packing

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Can't beat something like that for $4 . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

a pack of zig-zags and a 40 oz of Old English :twisted:
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
Dale

Post by Dale »

I have tire 2 tire irons taped to my cross bar and covered with a pad. Duct tape wrapped on an empty spot on the bars ( several feet). My spark plug wrench taped to the frame. A front tube tucked neatly behind my headlight and a rear in my fender pack with a patch kit and a small co2 tire inflator and spare co2 cartridge. All sockets that fit my bike and extra spark plugs in an old Glasses hard case wrapped in a sock. And the ever important first aid supplies with asprin for that spine jaring trail I'm bound to take. My back pack has phone, camera, maps, small GPS, snack bars and full bladder of gator aid. When riding with a friend, always, we don't carry any duplicates. We also carry small 2 and 4oz cough syrup type plastic bottles with the same amount of oil just in case. You can always get a little gas from some 4 wheeler or a home owner. I find that when we spend a couple hours here and there getting the bikes ready for a hundred mile 2 day trip, and pack all this stuff, we never need it. But one of these days.........
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I now carry a small pump, irons, a bead buddy, and a 21" tube

Flats suck 20 miles from the truck
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

i was jokin' btw... :rolleyes:
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

yeah we know :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

okey dokey...

i like to joke a bit, but this is really a kick a$$ site.

and i am really listening to this thread.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I also carry:

Microfiber cloth for cleaning glasses and shield/goggles
Antifog solution
A hat, beanie, something to cover my dome with
A knife
Extra sparkplug
Pack of chewing gum
Extra mouth piece for camel back
And for those times when it is just to wet and humid I have a case attached to the bike to put my glasses in. Riding without them is pretty freaking weird but sometimes gotta do what you gotta do
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

first enduro in 20 years, but i ride the rural hiways of iowa with my vn750 cruiser, it really is similar, often miles and miles from anything...

bandana-size handkerchief
roll of electrical tape
big bottled water
gatorade or lemonade
several long tie wraps
small tool kit
a few loose allen wrenches
8,10,12,14mm sockets
4-in-1 screwdriver
one rag
emergency cash
credit card
cell phone
a couple snacks

the one time my bike did break down, i was able to call the wife and let her know, and then do some petcock repairs with what i had... i was on a rural hiway, pulled over to a gravel road, it was 100 degrees with no shade... the few tools, bandana, and drinks saved me! and if not, i had a back-up plan, and cash and credit card...

goes to show that a few simple items can make all the difference.

going to invest in a tire-patch kit and inflator next.

also bought, for around $25 on ebay, a craftsman m/c tool kit, new, with wrenches, pliers, screwdriver, tie wire, wd-40, couple other things, in a nice little zippered pouch. i have 6 bikes, and some are missing the oem tool kit, so i can take that with whatever bike i am riding that day. haven't received it yet, it may be a bit heavy for the fender bag i am gonna put on the kdx.

never carry any wrenches/screwdrivers or really any tools in your back/fanny pack. i have heard horror stories of wiping out and getting shanked!!

an ounce of prevention is better than a pund of cure...
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

dale,

that is great advice about the oil in the cough med bottle. gonna def. do that!

and one of these days, you WILL need one of those items you so carefully thought out... and it will make it worthwhile.

ride on!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

An 8 ball and a cell phone... nothing else matters until you get rescued! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

:supz:
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Right now I carry:

Flatblade screwdriver
A few CO2 cartridges
spark plug
spark plug wrench
map
food
phone
my friend has a tow strap

Things I plan to start carrying but haven't yet:
small bottle of oil (enough to mix with 1 gallon of gas)
duct tape
small first aid kit
emergency blanket

I don't carry spare tubes and tire irons because even if I needed them one time every 5 years, it wouldn't be worth carrying two tubes, tire irons, and anything else i might need to change every time i ride. I use really thick tubes and I know I can still get a flat, but I have a friend that has been riding often for 20 years and he has had one flat.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Only need to carry a 21" tube, it will work fine on the rear

I would not bother with CO2, it's just a one shot deal

I prefer this

Pumps on both strokes. I have it strapped to my crossbar on my bars
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would think a Wookie would have the lung capacity to not use some human made tool. :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "