spark arrestor mounting

Got questions? We got answers....
Little Jeff

spark arrestor mounting

Post by Little Jeff »

I bought a 2000 KDX200 last Feb. I bought the bike with every intention on tearing it down to completely rebuild. The FMF spark arrestor that was on the bike, is not the right one I think. I bought a new pipe and SA from FMF and the new SA mounting tabs, at least the back one (tab closest to motor) have a huge difference in hole size. Can some one post pics of their silencers and how they are mounted on their bikes. Do they use rubber washers? My new SA came with an aluminum spacer and a bolt, but am not sure which tab it is for. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Anybody have any pics, anybody?
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

i have an FMF scilencer and it has rubber inserts with washers on both sides. i may be able to post some pics tonight.
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Did the rubber inserts come on the stock silencer or did they come with you FMF silencer? The guy I bought the bike from apparently did some improvising :shock: The pics will be greatly appreciated.
Little Jeff
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I have a power core on mine, and it has rubber gromets at the mounting holes, and a washer insert for each one. I won a PC silencer on e-gay a while back, and it didnt come with any of these parts. The bag was sealed. I think you can order those parts from FMF if you need them.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

The spacer and the longer bolt they sent is for the rear mount on the SA.
You reuse the front mounting bolt.
I have no rubber mounts or washers on my 05
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This is a common FmF problem...they don't ship the mounting KIT with the silencer. They are SUPPOSED to. It is NOT a separately purchased item.

At least..didn't used to be.

Contact the dealer. Tell them you did NOT get the mounting kit. If they are worth a plug nickel, they will get you one.

Probably not all parts included in that mount kit will be needed.

I ended up making my own.

How is the SA that is ON the bike differ from what you bought? Are both TC IIs? (Turbine Core spark arrestors).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

The hole on the rear tab mounting bracket is 11/16" and the hole on the rear tab mounting bracket on the new SA is only 5/16". There is no way that you can push a rubber grommet through the hole and then the bolt. Once I get the bike back together with the new pipe, I will see how the SA fits and if I have to I can always run to the hardware store and pick up some rubber washers or nylon washers, depending on fit. I looked at a '06 new KDX 200 today at dealer and there are no rubber mounts on stock silencer. All metal to metal. I will also contact FMF and see what they say. Thanks for the info guys.
Little Jeff
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I trashed my TCII some time ago, so I cannot measure/check/take pictures for you..but the 11/16" sounds about right for the 'older' style FmF TCII. It was a BIG hole!

I say 'older' only 'cuz it WAS an '01 or so piece..not that I KNOW they have changed over the years.

The PC arrestor I know has changed..but that's not the subject of discussion.

The OEM SA is metal to metal, as you said.

You didn't mention the model numbers of the two? Both TC IIs or not?

Hey!! While I appreciate your privilege to say what you want..in regard to your sig....if you don't ever want to ride down here you could just SAY so! NO reason to beat around the bush about it. :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

The old SA has to be an old model. I trashed the old one also because it was just all mickey moused together. As far as what my signature says, it has nothing to do with anybody on this site. It's an on going thing with my boss who also rides. It is also my sig on KTMTalk and Thumpertalk. It's meant more or less as a joke, so please do not be offended. :hmm: If you knew my boss, you would understand.
Little Jeff
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sorry in advance since I dont have an "H"

But you wanted pix and none of these sorry bastards have complied

So here ya go

Dunno about rubber washers or this and that??

Mine has a lot larger holes on the s/a too

Might be able to use a fender washer ??
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Thank you for the picture Mr. Wibbens. I sure do appreciate it. What year is your KDX?
Little Jeff
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

'92
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

Little Jeff,

Check out my gallery. I just shot some photos of all of the mounts for the FMF pipe and silencer. This is a 2004 KDX with an FMF Gnarly and a Quiet Core silencer.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Recurve, thank you very much for the photos. I kind of figured mine was metal to metal contact also. I just had a ols SA. Got a new one now though.
Little Jeff
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

>|<>QBB<
Little Jeff wrote:Recurve, thank you very much for the photos. I kind of figured mine was metal to metal contact also. I just had a ols SA. Got a new one now though.
Little Jeff
You're welcome! I was happy to do it. Time for me to help someone and give back for all the help this forum has been for me. Any other questions just ask. I did quite a bit a research with the FMF stuff recently.