A Gas Gas Ride Report

Got questions? We got answers....
AZRickD

A Gas Gas Ride Report

Post by AZRickD »

I received a KDX-Rider PM asking me how I like my barely used 2005 EC250 today. I decided to post up in the public forum.

My '05 EC250 is a pretty good compromise, without compromising.

The bike definateley spools up quicker with noticeably more oomph in all but the just-off-idle throttle positions. On the KDX, if there was a whoop section that snuck up on me around a corner, I wouldn't have enough juice to get up to speed to skip over them. With the Gasser (or KTM or Yammie) I can twist the throttle just before or during the whoops and change how I'm attacking them.

On the other hand, the KDX still feels like it has a bit more usable low-end. I notice it on hairpin uphill turns when it gets critical. But the hydraulic clutch on the Gasser allows very controlled clutching. I've had KTM owners ride the Gasser and they've all come away impressed. They've even said they like the clutch better. Five people have come up to me and said, "Is that the one that was sitting on the floor for a year? I almost bought that. But I bought this KTM instead."

The stock gearing on the six-speed Gasser is 13/47 (I think it's 47). The former owner put on a 50 tooth sprocket in the rear. Sometimes I debate putting on a 51. Sometimes not. I had a 13/50T on the KDX, for reference.

The Gasser revs all the way out and is almost as electric as the KDX. There is one mini-hit that I'd like to tune out. It is around 1/4 throttle and can sometimes spin the rear wheel more than I'd like on technical hill climbs. The former owner put on a 12-oz flywheel. Sometimes I wonder what another ounce or two would do. I'd hate to lose any spin-up-ability, however.

Other than the motor, the biggest difference is the sweet balance in the suspension from front and rear. It tracks straight and true fast or so over the whoops. The only place I've swapped ends was in a deeeep sand wash. Actually. it wasn't a wash. It was miles and miles of deeeeep sugar sand during a race. People were falling over all around me. The Gas Gas also has better balance left and right.

The ergos are smaller on the Gasser (though they can made to stretch out). Coupled with a low-centered gas tank, the think turns much quicker than the KDX. I'm less fatigued with the GG while at the same time pushing it harder. The brakes are nice too. Modulate-able and I haven't noticing them fade.

I bought a full compliment of jets, but I'm having a sneaking suspicion that the bike isn't too jetting sensitive. I'll let you know when I hit Flagstaff (7,000 feet) this summer. My bike has a spacer on the reed cage which puts the carb tighter against the airbox boot. I don't think it's a stock spacer. That makes it really tough to get the carb off (especially with my pranged thumb). I just undid the subframe and pivoted it away.

And, lastly, it's nice not to be another Orange owner.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Thanks for the post Rick . . .

I spent a very short period of time on an '05 (in a car dealership parking lot of all places) so my "test" was really just a sampling of the motor, but I've read & heard the Gasser's suspension was hard to beat.

I DO remember the linearity of the power. Very solid power but didn't come on viciously.

Best of my recollection of the Gasser, I'd say that as of late the power in my 220 is not far behind, but it would be a treat to get a feel of the Gasser's handling.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Thanks for the great write up Rick.

Have you had any problems with ordering parts?

When you did research on the Gasser, what was the impression concerning their reliability?

Do you find the Gasser to be as versitile as the KDX. I mean can you putt around with the kids and still take it to the weekend race?

I have heard everyone rave about their suspension and handling vs. the KTM.
'
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I ride with a couple guys that have Gas Gas bikes. One has a 250 the other a 300. I have ridden both and really like them. They have been Gasser guys for several years now and love them. They tell me that if your the type that keeps a bike a long time that is what you want. Both of the bike seem to be very well built and reliable. I think anyone who likes a KDX would love a gasser. Seems to be kind of the same crowd as us KDX humps.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Jeb, the GG is definately a smooth powerplant. But even the KDX hat a bit of a hit, too.

And just like the KDX, the GG's linearity of the GG can fake ya out. You're expecting a big hit to come before the scenary begins to rush by, but all you get is rushing scenary.

I would describe/compare the GG-KDX "linearity" as the GG having the greater slope, but starting a little lower off-idle than the KDX. After that, it's warp speed. In all but a few places, the KDX is comparable. From mid-revs on, (faster trails than I normally ride), the Gasser pulls away. And even though the GG might lack some of the low end, a twist of the throttle seems to get the GG on step on the whoops or especially in sand washes.

The 300 is even better in that last regard, but while I initially leaned toward the 300 (either KTM or GG) because I thought it would suit my terrain and my lack of skill better, I just had more fun on the 250s (be they KTM, GG, Husky, or Yammie).

As far as parts go, the GG owners scoff at comments that it must be hard to get parts. In an internet world, they just go to a handful of suppliers. These guys will let you know. http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php

Reliability? They are known to run very well for a very long time, assuming you take care of them (as all the rest).

KDX-like versitality? Well, I'm happy to say that the jetting might be even less finicky than the KDX and certainly less of a problem than the KTM 300s which are complained about ad-naseum at KTMTalk. The Gasser's coolant temps are good as well. Not a hint of a boil-over. I'll report back when I do my high-altitude trips this summer.

Putt-putting? Not as good as the KDX. But very good, nonetheless. I've putted along next to my daughter's PW80 with no problem.

I also won (after the zig-zagging cheater below was DQ-ed), a recent Slo-Race (all the heavy hitters where there, of course). :rolleyes:

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Thanks Rick for the write up.

Sounds like the GasGas would be the next logical choice after we are all done modding out our KDX's. :wink: And, you can RB a GasGas too! :supz:

The KDX will stick around in my garage for awhile now since it so dang fun in the tight terrain, and I just got her dialed in.
'
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

What size carb is on that EC? Does yours have the Ohlins?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I believe my next bike will be a GG 300
They say it is an old mans bike, and well....
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Fuzzy:
The carb is a Keihin with an LTR needle -- I don't know the bore diameter. The owner bought the Power Now and Power Now Plus divider plates (front-rear). Not as clean as RB, but the former owner said it made a difference and RB said that his mod might not be worth it given that I already have the P-Now. I'll wait for a squish mod decision next summer.

The shock? It's Ohlins in back and Marzocci "Zokes" in front. Very compliant. If you have particularly nasty square edged hits on the trail (big roots or big rocks), you might consider a suspension re-valve from LTR (I rode an '05 300 with the LTR suspender work -- most plush I've ever felt). I've not taken the plunge, but might. I have my clickers all the way out and things are fine.

The newer GGs come with Sachs in the rear standard but Ohlins can be had in "Race" versions. It has been said that the Ohlins are built to take bigger hits and the Sachs might be better for sharp-edged trail work.

KarlP:
The GG300 is not like the KTM300. The GG actually revs nicely. Not quite the low end of the KTM (possibly a good thing). It doesnt' vibrate like the KTM, isn't jetting finicky (especially with the LTR jet kit), and doesn't overheat like the KTM because GG has rads big enough to cool it (so they say).
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

That looks like a sweet bike. I think GGs are really cool - but I don't understand why there are people that feel not being a KTM is a good trait for a bike.

I'd like to try the 300. For me I see the ideal woods bike as a KTM/Gas Gas 250. I'm used to the 250 power, and my RM is considered to have extremely light flywheel mass and a screamin MX motor, but it makes plenty of low-end torque for what I need. That's with stock gearing and no FWW.....Can't justify the 300, mostly becuase I'd have to run open class, I'd rather run the 250 class.

Cool bike though. How wide does the tranny feel?
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

2001kdx,

The tranny feels pretty good, spacing-wise given the extra power that I'm only now getting used to. First gear seems a little tall (others say it's short). Just my bias after two years on a 13/50 KDX. I'm definitely shifting the GG much less than the KDX.
I don't understand why there are people that feel not being a KTM is a good trait for a bike.
Several factors. One is not being one in the crowd. But the main reason is that as good as KTM is and as many models they have, each one is a major compromise. Want bling and a snappy motor? Go with a KTM 250XC. But, darn, the XC suspension is a little on the stiff side and the tranny runs out of steam on transfer sections. Okay, do a KTM 250XC-W. Darn, there's that gappy first to second gear jump and both models lack a 6th gear. Then there's that linkless rear suspension that people try ever-so-hard to try to tune for themselves. The front is a problem as well.

You get the point. Just go to KTMTalk.com and click on the "Which KTM Should I Buy" forum and you'll see why they have so many headaches. Yeah, KTM gives you a lot of choices, but they're just not particularly optimal choices. Gas Gas makes one enduro model (EC 250/300) and it just seems to fit for so many people.