Don't use any.
58%

Total votes: 12

skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Knee Braces

Post by skythrasher »

I am currently recovering from a knee injury and am looking into knee braces. Could some of you folks that use these offer some advice or recommendations. I have also heard that sometimes insurance will pick up part of the tab if the doc prescibes them, is this something that any of you have done. Thanks
reymund77

Post by reymund77 »

I broke my femur wearing the EVS Vision...its a big and heavy chunky uncomfortable kneebrace but its much more cheaper then the rest...

then lookin at Asterisk when 4months ago, my mate broke his ACL and fracture his patella wearing the Asterisk Cell when he eject off from a double jump as he knew he jumped short landing on his leg and then drop on the knees..whole leg swell like a pig few hours later......after the accident, he say prob its due to the side moveable feature of the Asterisk tat gave tat allowance to allow his ACL to snap

Now his back riding on CTi2....happy man but no so on his pocket to get tis brace....also had similar crash, heard sorta snapping sound on his knee when he land but he managed to standup and walk away with jus bruises....so I would vote for PodMX which had similar feature like the CTi, made of carbon fibre and looks cool yet not that pricey...saving my $$$ for one too... :supz:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I got a prescription from my ortho surgeon and ended up with a custom brace - a Townsend. Look up "Townsend Knee Brace" under the Product Review forum for some details. I'm not a knee brace authority but the fit and flexibility of this brace is superb. Pricey for the custom rigs - $1,100. They have off-the-shelf versions for half of that, and I'm likely going to spring for one for my right knee (I'm using another "brace" now that provides some protection but is uncomfortable).

Even so, $1,100 is FAR cheaper than ACL surgery . . .

BTW - had I not been able to take advantage of the doc's prescription I woulda' went with the cells . . . here are some links that may give you more insight:

A few years old but good reading -
http://www.dirtrider.net/drn_tested/kne ... races.html

Some other links/threads that may be of interest, I'm sure there's others -
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/P ... ail/331385
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda- ... n-cti.html
http://www.dirtrider.com/drtested/141_0 ... index.html
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Thanks for the links Jeb
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I got Fox Pods for Xmas. Have used them twice. Really like them. Very comfortable. Easier transition than expected. I tried the Asterisk - some love them - I did not think they would last more than 2 seasons. So returned them and got pods.

All are quality braces. What ever you get, use the knee brace skins. Very important. Prevents slipping and skin iritation.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
september9

Post by september9 »

I went different yet, my knees aren't too bad yet so I went with the Thor Forces. They are more of a guard than a brace, but provide more support than just a guard. Does that make any sense?

I really like them so far, but I haven't crash tested them yet. I really wanted PODs, but just don't have the funding. These seemed like a decent in between cost/performance.
1998 KDX 200
- 2000 KX 125 front end.
- Bills Pipe
- RB Head and Carb !!!
1987 Husqvarna 430XC
- Up-Tite Pipe
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
SteveWR450f wrote: . . . What ever you get, use the knee brace skins. Very important. Prevents slipping and skin iritation.
Best to check on the slipping part, that may be different from brace to brace. The firm that measured my leg, ordered the brace, and instructed me on it's proper use actually recommended against using anything under the brace. My take is they suspect it could possibly facilitate slippage (if the brace isn't snugged tightly enough) and thus reduce the protection the brace is made to afford.

That all stated, I wear Underarmour-like longjohns under the brace but cinch my brace very snugly, and that seems to work very well in maintaining brace positioning. And keeps things comfy. :grin:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

I completely busted my ACL ligament last month and have been window shopping for knee braces since then. I considered the PodMX, EVS-Web and Asterisk Cell. I consulted my doctor, physiotherapist and orthopedic surgeon about them. They are unanimous: The Off-the Shelf products like EVS Web and PodMx are good to prevent an injury resulting from leg extension. If you had an injury of if you are suffering from an injury, a custom brace is the only way to go. The OTS products may not be as efficient to prevent the forward movement of the lower leg and tend to move out of place more that custom models.

By the way, for off-road use, my local knee-brace lab technician recommended the CTI Pro. It is a tad more resistant and thick than the CTI2. The CTI prices are at least double the PodMx. Good thing I have insurance...

Its a good thing that my kdx is also my shrink ... I am going crazy looking at it sitting still in the garage :blink:
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
johnkdx220 wrote: ... I am going crazy looking at it sitting still in the garage :blink:
It's pure torture, I've been there!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
RTSinDallas

Post by RTSinDallas »

I had my ACL replaced and the meniscus repaired the week before X-mas (Keep your feet on the pegs). Anyway, I picked up a pair of used Donjoy Extreme Armor's, with knee cap protectors, cheap on Craigslist. They are nice and sturdy, and have allowed me to ride the last few months. When I get fitted for my custom brace I will probably go CTI.

RT
2000 KDX 200
1993 XR600R
1992 WXC 360
fLyNbYu

Post by fLyNbYu »

I have and use the asterisks. They slip if I don't tighten them up. I tighten them so much that my leg muscles get deformed. Kind of gross looking, but they stay in place. I don't have any tears of any tendons or other injuries that can be found. I wear them as a preventative measure so I don't tear anything. Breaking is another story.

I chose them because I didn't like the velcro on the pods and evs makes too many different braces, so they obviously can't decide on a design. I didn't know 661 made braces when I got mine. If I were to do it again, I would get some custom braces because of the fitment problems with off the shelf braces.

I've had mine for about 3 years now and haven't had any problems with them falling apart.
'01 KDX 220R
'01 XR650R SuperTerd
cmot

Post by cmot »

Ha, This post about knee supports comes at a wierd time for me. I am waiting for the ins. co. ok for knee surgery. My right knee inner miniscus is gone completley. and the outter one is torn and expanded. The doctor said surgery will buy me another 5 years then I'm probly looking at knee replacement. I went to some of the sites and got some pretty good info. For some months now I have been looking at my DX in the corner and wonder if I should ever ride again. These thoughts are very painful, So maybe with supports I can still ride at a lesser intensity.

Thank You for the post, It helped.
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
plb

Post by plb »

I ordered a PodMx pair and I received them yesterday. Very nice product!!!

Some pictures:

The box:
The owner manual (in 4 languages!), the additionnal padding and stickers.

Inside side

Outside side

Lenght

Comparaison with Thor Impact

I dislike the big space between the patella cup and the fiber carbon leg.
The space is not so big with my Thor

I like the TPU tendon. Everything keep is place...

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

ACL injuries are bad. But..what do I know. I don't have 'em to worry about.

For one thing, walking is simple. There's a short write-up on it here.

:wink:

It is such a simple thing..who kneeds to fuss with things like 'support' when doing it anyway! :hmm:

Rehab after ACL surgery is tough. There is an article in this week's USN&WR (I think it is) that documents the routine for a professional athlete type. It's HOURS and HOURS a week..for MONTHS and MONTHS. It is NOT a matter of cut you open, stitch in some stuff, sew you up.

I've never done it..I doubt I would be successful in doing it considering the recovery process. And..if you don't do it right, you're worse off than you would be if you just forgot about it.

No knee brace will prevent leg injury, imo. If the brace is BRACED enough to keep you from hyperextension problems..it's going to break your leg (noted already).

I wear Asterisk Cells 'cuz they are better than nothing at all..but hyperextension still happens. It hasn't occurred to me that, having wasted knees I shouldn't ride anymore.

Screw that!

C'mon Idaho!!!

:grin:

Do the best you can with what you have to work with. My knees buckle when I step on a pebble in the parking lot. So...let's go riding!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:No knee brace will prevent leg injury, imo. If the brace is BRACED enough to keep you from hyperextension problems..it's going to break your leg (noted already).
The force required to break a leg from from a properly braced brace should be MUCH greater than the force required to snap a tendon like the ACL. Meaning that protection is provided without bones being broken.

I'm not an orthopaedic type but I feel confident in making that claim.

That doesn't mean that a knee brace prevents all knee injuries anymore than a helmet prevents all head injuries. But I will wear a helmet. And my knee protection.

CLICK FOR PICS!
plb

Post by plb »

This is an image from CTI!!!

Ouchhh!!!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I broke my femur wearing the EVS Vision...its a big and heavy chunky uncomfortable kneebrace but its much more cheaper then the rest...

If the brace is BRACED enough to keep you from hyperextension problems..**and enough force is applied**it's going to break your leg (noted already). No knee brace will prevent leg injury. (period) Not..no knee brace will prevent some injury..not no knee brace will prevent any injury.

..should be much greater?

Yep.

It's simple physics..force and motion. If you prevent movement in one place where force is applied..the force is still applied. The resultant stress is just transferred to some other place..some other thing.

Certainly there are stresses a brace can and will contain. That's why I wear mine every time I ride. There are stresses a brace will not and cannot contain, too. And when such an event takes place, whatever does let loose is going to be a worser letter looser.

I won't ride without 'em, either.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

RE: I won't ride without 'em either . . . bottom line is we're on the same wavelength!

CLICK FOR PICS!