rear hand brake

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

rear hand brake

Post by scheckaet »

Anybody ever tried to have both foot and hand brake? (iknow there is kit available for other bikes)
Just wondered if it'd offer any advantage especially in right turn while having the foot out.
Might be kinda hard to run both the rear brake and do some clutch feathering at the same time since i don't have a "lazy clutch" (I don't want one anyway, never tried one and don't WANT to, cuz i might like it! :wink:)
Come on lazyclutch guys what's the skinny on this?
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Somewhere on the web I came across a combination perch that had a hand brake and a clutch. I can't find it now (but I'm still looking). I plan to have a hand brake when I eventually get an autoclutch. The people I have talked to that have the hand brake really like it.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ski has had such on both his bikes. I've ridden his KDX that was so equipped.

Simply put, it worked great!

NOT having an autoclutch makes the whole idea rather problematic...but it (hand operated rear binders) IS handy.

BTW..there are Magura master cylinders that run on brake fluid.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

i just installed a EFM autoclutch and the rear handbrake on my 06' KDX and LOVE it, its alot like riding my mt-bike..........to all you people that say you HATE the autoclutch you have no idea what you are MISSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
imo- by adding the autoclutch along with the rear handbrake it just becomes a GREAT,GREAT advantage in alot of situations !!!!!!
JUST RIDE !!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I know I know but I like to feather my clutch on demand, like for log crossing, step up...kinda like you would on a trials bike (my 1st bike), habits are hard to kill
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

ok; so when you come to a log; you fan your clutch to raise the front wheel to cross the log.....all i do is blip the throttle and the wheel is in the air !!!!! imo - you have much more control with the autoclutch........
JUST RIDE !!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmm.... that's all I do too! I have no stinkin' autocrutch. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Good. Another autoclutch vs. no-autoclutch showdown.

So, Rick. Give us some details on the type of terrain where you feel it is an advantage.
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I was just givin' Rick ****... :lol:

Not all things are for everyone. I have been riding with a clutch for over 35 years and I really don't think I will ever change. The last time I used an autoclutch I was 5 years old on my Z50.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

SUPER tight single track (28"- 32" between the trees) w/ rock,roots and logs ---- the major advantage to autoclutch is - ITS STALL PROOF !!!!!!
JUST RIDE !!!
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

any you guys planning a trip to the eastcoast in the near future (pa,md,nj) if so....please feel free to look me up .... and don't forget to bring your riding gear !!!
JUST RIDE !!!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Do you feel that the autoclutch would be an advantage in faster woods conditions?
'
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

if you mean wide open ATV trails; NO..... there would be no advantage !
listen.....i'm not saying there are no CONs to the A-clutch; all i'm saying is theres tons more PROs then CONs.....wait; i can't think of any CONs other then you can't bump start the motor.....and the price $$$$$$,but if you ride the tight nasty stuff like we do back EAST here and you got the funds....then i highly recommend the A- clutch .......along with the rear handbrake . :wink:
JUST RIDE !!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Engine braking?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rick albert

Post by rick albert »

who ever said that you DON'T have engine braking with the A-clutch has no idea what the hell there taking about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
JUST RIDE !!!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup! Engine braking is unaffected other than, in fact, it's more controllable. I can lock up the rear brake to drop the rpm's down to where the clutch dis-engages the motor and idle down a hill and then goose the throttle to rev up the engine and the clutch engages the motor and the bike again has engine braking.

The only people who are nay sayers of the auto clutch are people who don't own one and have never ridden one enough to get familiar with it. Their opinion does not matter and can make them sound, well,,,, There is a slight learning curve, as with most things. Takes 2 or 3 rides (days) to get the muscle memory down and really enjoy the advantage an auto clutch provides.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I sure would like to give one a try. I've spent too much this year on mods, so it will have to be a Christmas present. :mrgreen:

I think with the 220 RB'd and autocluthed you would have the ultimate tight woods weapon. Throw on a trials tire and you could probably climb straight up a fir tree and be a firconquerer not a firffighter. :wink:
'
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I get it about the autoclutch
(I don't want one anyway, never tried one and don't WANT to, cuz i might like it! )
I'm more interested about the rear hand brake, would it be worth the trouble to set it up WITHOUT the autoclutch.
I would use the rear hand brake more like an assit and not as my main brake...
Thx
wilf
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

i think so;if you have a way to mount it;i really can't see where your going to get the room on the bars to have a clutch perch and lever along with a rear handbrake master cylinder and lever ?????
JUST RIDE !!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Anyone got pics of a rear handbrake set up?
I'd use a cut lever, one finger type.
For those that have one, did you keep the foot pedal too?