horrible squealing screching noise

Got questions? We got answers....
tommorth

horrible squealing screching noise

Post by tommorth »

was out rideing with a mate yesterday l and his bike a 2000 kdx200
started makeing the most horrible squealing noise so we stoped and got it towed back still got loads of compression and wasnt down on power sounds normal on kick over but makes a scretching noise when its runing clutch in or out makes no difference
any one got a suggestion of where to start?
beware the mighty kdx
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Is there oil in the tranny?

Do you have a general idea as to the general direction the noise is coming from....generally speaking?

Odo cables can make a nasty racket..no big deal.

So can crank bearings!! BIG deal.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tommorth

Post by tommorth »

yes had oil but think it may have been a bit low had car engine oil in it.
He changed it today with some gearbox oil and rekons the noise has gone
the oil that came out was black after only two ridesnot sure if thats normal or not mine goes a bit murky but not black
beware the mighty kdx
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'Car engine oil' is fine. It's what's specified for use by Kawi.

But...not all 'car engine oil' is the same.

What grade was it? It didn't happen to have 'friction modifiers' in it perchance? Anything on the can say, 'Increased fuel mileage'? Never use anything like that.

Spec is:

Transmission Oil SE Class SAE 10W30 or 10W40

Later specifications do not apply to wet clutch apps. IF you're going to use 'regular' oil, use something specifically spec'd for wet clutch apps...Yamalube 4T oil or something.

Problem is...once you put the wrong stuff IN there...it's not going to be 'gone' just 'cuz you changed it once. ...the plates soaked that junk up.

Re: 'the oil that came out was black after only two ridesnot sure if thats normal'

No. It's not.

Consider the source

tommorth

Post by tommorth »

I think he had 10w40 castrol magnatec in it . He also said it was making a bit of a slipping clutch smell i didnt smell it but was a bit procupied with my bike boiling .
didnt think the black was normal
Maybe pulling the clutch out to cheak it and soaking the plates in petrol then
correct gear oil would be a good plan ?

it was only his fourth ride on a the bike and im hoping it doesnt end up being a major that puts him off it as he seem to be having fun
beware the mighty kdx
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'He also said it was making a bit of a slipping clutch smell ..'

...which is where the noise was coming from.

I looked for Magnatec info on the web...found only the basics of advertising ('liquid engineering' and all that crap). Please do note that the specification of the oil (API SM/CF) DOES NOT MEET THE STATED BIKE REQUIREMENTS.

Yes. Pulling the clutch plates out and trying to clean them would be a good idea. I wouldn't be soaking them in gasoline !! :shock: !! I would use a product designed to clean such materials (friction surfaces). BraKleen comes to mind.

Do your buddy a BIG favor. Make him !READ THIS!

I suggest everybody read it.

No reason for a 'put off' as you say. He made a mistake in oil choice. Fix it. Pay attention next time when it comes to supplies/parts used and HOW they are used. It matters. There is NO SUCH THING as a 'one size fits all' approach to lots of things...and lubricants is certainly one of them.

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Good reading . . . I wonder where the 2 parts ATF "F" and 1 part 10w40 that I use stand in terms of viscosity and all the other stuff that makes a good oil. Performance seems OK but until you know what optimal is there's not much against to compare.

At some of the local auto stores there's a hand's on sort of demonstration that compares oil that has Lucas oil stabilizer added with "their" oil. You turn a crank and can see how the Lucus product causes the oil to stick to the plastic gears in the transparent disply (surely you guys have witnessed these displays). It's quite apparent that Lucus's product stays on the teeth of those gears better than the "other". But how does that affect clutch operation? Has anyone tried this product in a bike?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I don't know that the 'cling' you see in the demonstration has anything to do with shear forces and such found in 'real life'. I suppose you could get a similar 'stick' improvement by adding a dose of Mrs. Butterworth's, too.

Seems (to me) akin to the K&N demo boxes...the ones with the floating balls? That a filter moves more air doesn't necessarily make it better.

I think you should be the first to check out that Lucas product! Heck...check out the Mrs. BW angle, too!!

Consider the source