Clutch noise

Got questions? We got answers....
THill

Clutch noise

Post by THill »

Guys i've got my cylinder back on my 98 220 and slowly breaking it all in
and i noticed a funny noise coming from my clutch, kinda like a rattling sound....
When i first got this bike it had a BAD exhaust leak plus the piston was rattling abit too so i don't know if it was making this noise then or not..

But while i had it down for the cylinder rebuild i went ahead and replaced the stock clutch with a Tusk clutch kit...The clutch works just fine but now with the exhaust leak fixed plus no piston slapping around i hear this noise when i let the clutch out, if i pull the lever in it stops, makes no difference if it's in gear or out, as soon as i let the clutch out i hear the noise , it's a pretty good rattle....

I torqued the clutch basket and springs to spec, everthing looked good,
I followed the process i found here plus also went by the service manual.
anyone got any idea's what it might be ??
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the KDX makes a lot of noise. On mine the sound is different when I engage the clutch.
Putting a full quart of oil quiet it down some.

On the other hand, if it's bad rattling and really loud, the thing that comes to mind is a broken KIPS. Did you support the shaft actuator when you took the cylinder off and on?
Does the bike run good otherwise? (i.e: feel the KIPS working?)
ChiroKDX

Post by ChiroKDX »

My KDX was making the same noise that would go away when I engaged the clutch. I asked a mechanic friend about it and he said that the clutch basket can get grooved where the teeth of the plates fit into the basket. The grooves provide room for the plates to rattle around until you pull the clutch and squeeze the plates. After I replaced the basket the noise went away. if you take the basket out you can see if it is grooved or not.
THill

Post by THill »

Yep, got a full qt of oil in it,
supported the KIP shaft, bike seems to run good so far,
i haven't opened it up yet, mostly 2nd an 3rd gear stuff right now getting it broke in..what little bit of throttle on and throttle off i've done she seems pretty spunky, not lacking in power forsure....

Maybe im just abit paranoid ,
After riding my 05 220 it makes some noise , just not as much,
i'd hate to get this motor over in my kx and have it come apart after already putting as much money in it as i have...
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..