need a little help, buying a kdx 200

Got questions? We got answers....
01kx125

need a little help, buying a kdx 200

Post by 01kx125 »

hey everyone the names James, just joined these excellent forums, im after a bit of help.

i currently ride a 2001 kx 125 and all my riding is trails, single track and hill climbing. so im thinking its about time to get a bike more suited to the type of riding i do. im looking at a kdx 200, probably a 2000 or 2001 model.

now the only thing i dont like is the suspension i had a ride on a friends 01 kdx200 and its just not for me. so what im thinking is ill do a kx fork swap as i love the forks on my 125. with the fork conversion and a new pipe and muffler and an mx rear fender i believe the bike would be the perfect bush bike but it will also allow me to do some motorcross stuff and bigger jumps and stuff.

what exactly will i have to buy to do a fork swap?

ive done some reaserch and it seems finding a set of second hand forks in australia is difficult so im think i could buy some from the states and ship them over.

like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI ... enameZWDVW

it would work out costing $340 US to get them over here.

is there anything else i need other than the ebay add?

how much extra on top of the $340 will it cost me to complete a fork swap?

thanks for all your help, James
THill

Post by THill »

James welcome to the site..
If you go over the the Fork Conversion section i think you will find just about all the info you need about the KX fork swaps...
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Can always shop for a motor or a cheap complete 89-94 model, and swap the motor into your KX....If you have some fab skills.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Keep the KX, get a KDX and ride it for a while.

You can put the KX forks on the KDX and you can also put the KDX forks on to the KX. That way you still have two bikes.

The KX with the KDX motor might be the way to go, though
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
01kx125

Post by 01kx125 »

Nah whats happening is i can only afford one bike so im selling the kx, to buy a kdx. then after i buy the kdx i was going to purchase a set of kx forks and put them on. im only 16 and have no fab skills plus i want the kdx so i can register it in two years time and use it as a road/trail bike.

i would love to have both the kx and kdx but its not going to happen. so it looks like im selling the kx to afford the kdx.

does anybody know where i can get an mx rear fender for a 1996+ yr model kdx? im in australia by the way.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Beware the SR!!!

Lots and LOTS of things that apply to the US model do NOT apply to the overseas models..folks are always getting caught off-guard in that regard.

Maybe the suspension on the bike you rode wasn't right? If it didn't have a set of springs to fit you..hadn't had an oil change ever...hadn't had the OEM valve stack changed...was still running the OEM preload...THAT setup isn't right for much of ANYone soing ANYthing.

I'm sayin' don't change what don't need changin'.

To answer some of your questions: What you need to make the swap is a complete front-end. Given the ebay link...you would have no axle, no front wheel. You need to put a KDX stem IN the KX bottom clamp. That means buying a stem in your case, 'cuz you don't have a KDX to swap FROM. Ask Fredette if he has one. That's where I got mine.

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
01kx125

Post by 01kx125 »

yeah maybe it wasnt right, i just think a kx fork swap would be best in the long run.
How do i know if the bike im looking at is a SR model?

why would i need to buy a stem? when i buy the kdx it will have conventials on there cant i use that stem?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=019

is this an Sr model?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why buy a stem? :hmm:

If you take the stem out of the KDX, you will likely destroy the bottom clamp. That will make what you take off useless.

Speedo? Blinkers?

Yes. That is an SR.

Does it have an oil pump? Is oil injected into the fuel?

I am NOT saying that nothing US (or non-SR) will fit on, work with, or apply to your bike. I AM saying that asking a bunch of US riders (like most of KDXRider) questions about a KDX will get you a good number of wrong answers...'cuz the bikes are NOT the same.

THAT said...you can certainly fit a USD fork setup to an SR bike. It has been done.

Actually...in that regard (fork swaps) both bikes (SR and non-SR) I think are the same as far as fit..not as far as every assembly detail.

But...what do I know? I live over here!

**note**Just thought of this. I believe the SR models have a PIN in the bottom clamp...THROUGH the stem. The US models are simply PRESSED in. Try to press YOURS out, and if there is a pin...there's going to be trouble.

Hey out there in KDXRider land..who was the guy that shattered his clamp trying to get his stem out? Roo-boy (KayDee)? Cspawn?
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:40 am May 22 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So I went and found it myself, thanks.

Yep. KayDee, it was.

See? A good reason NOT to (try to) use the KDX clamp out of an SR KDX.

Oh...the caption to the pic:
KayDee wrote:#@!$ kdx bottom clamp

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

KD always said his was NOT an SR!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Yikes, you've got an '01 KX125 that you use on TRAILS? I had an '01 and it was possibly the worst trail bike I can imagine. I also had my '96 KDX200 at that time and it was just about, almost, the best trail bike imaginable (and I have a good imagination... :mrgreen: ).

I think you'll like the KDX, new forks or not.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

That clamp doesn't look any different from mine, but maybe it is. I think I can see a faint outline of a pin hole in the stem? Did it shear the pin and break the clamp?

'Course I didn't break mine, I just bent it trying to push the stem out.

Back on topic-
I had a KX125 that I used on trails. It was quite a handfull, but only because of how the motor made power. The KDX was perfect motorwise but maybe a bit lacking in the frame department. The KDX with the KX forks on it was just fine.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'KD always said his was NOT an SR!'

I know that. I know YOU know that. I knew you would SAY so, too!! :wink:

Re: 'I think I can see a faint outline of a pin hole in the stem? Did it shear the pin and break the clamp?'

You do see..and it's not too faint. Yes...you can see the outline of the roll pin hole in the stem. I recollect a bit more than him pressing it to pieces. Seems he tried to get the pin out..had no luck with that..figured he'd just see what happened when immutable force was applied to an unmoveable object. bingo-bongo-busto

I'll stick with what I do know. KayDee is in Austrailia. (Well...I know he WAS there. Maybe he moved to Jamaica man!) He had a 200. He broke his clamp trying to get the stem out. NO one that I ever heard of had that problem with a US bike. The stems might be hard to get OUT...like in excess of 30,000lbs of force needed to P-I-N-G the thing across the shop floor..and the bottom clamp may get TWEAKED...but I've never heard of a roll pin in a US KDX.

Easy enough to tell. LOOK at yours. That pin don't get pressed in from the INside of the stem! :shock: You will see the hole in the clamp.

If you do press it out...use some heat on the clamp to loosen up the fit.

Consider the source