Rear tire size

Got questions? We got answers....
vntgmxr88

Rear tire size

Post by vntgmxr88 »

Hello All,
I have an '06 KDX200. As far as performance mods, I have removed the airbox lid, and installed an FMF rev pipe and spark arrestor. From your experience, will this bike pull a 110/100 rear tire, or should I stick to the stock 100/100 size? Thanks in advance. Brian
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It will pull a 120... but she will sit high....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This question has made the rounds a few times..and the opinions vary. Example: Some say the KDX will never be able to handle a tire bigger than 100/100. Now...it so happens some of those saying that don't own a KDX and have NO idea what they are talking about...but it's an opinion just the same.

Not all tires marked with the same numbers are the same size. You won't have any trouble with a 130 from Michelin..but a 130 from IRC likely won't physically FIT on the bike.

You will have no problem with a 110. Not from the standpoint of 'pull' anyway.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have a 120 S-12 Michelin on mine..
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I'd say a 110 is ideal for the dunlops I usually run. 100 is great but you may want more bite if you ride mud, in which case you could just drop a couple PSI.....

With all the variances in tire brand, as carvr stated, tire profile, PSI and different conditions people ride, it probably doesn't matter all that much. Try a different size and if you can distinguish some sublteties between the two, go back.....

Generally though, people run 100, 110 and 120 widths on bikes of similar size.
DeSoto Flyer

Post by DeSoto Flyer »

I run a Pirelli Scorpion X/C 110/100 and it works great in the mud!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

110/100 Pirelli MT16 rear - no problems with fit or function
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
vntgmxr88

Post by vntgmxr88 »

Thanks to all for the input. Brian
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

I run a Pirelli MT16 120-110 on my 2000 KDX 220. A big tire for sure, but it does fit in the swing arm and works great for the type of riding I do in my area: tight, muddy, 1st and 2nd gear technical stuff with lots of tricky hill climbs. There was a huge increase in traction from the 110-100 MT16 I had been running before and it’s just the ticket if traction is what you need.