Dealer Edicate

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Uh...excuse me...but can I ask a question?

What the hell is going on? :shock:

I'm late looking at this, but a 'splanation would be appreciated.

This:

...shows what is supposed to be in that hole. It's a pin that allows the shaft to turn, but NOT move up, and a screw to hold it in there.

If the shaft HAS been moved up (and from the pics, it has) you need to get it apart RIGHT NOW...to check the integrity of the pin assembly at the bottom of the shaft...the pin that sits in the spring assy.

Why on EARTH would there be anything but disaster waiting in the wings when you can move the governor shaft up and down...and THERE ARE PARTS MISSING!!!!

What is it I fail to understand? The laissez faire attitude about it is incredulous!

I stand by to abjectly apologize for what I MUST be missing. Please TELL me it isn't so!!! Admittedly...when something like this happens..something so plainly obvious I can't believe it...it's usually 'cuz I missed a page or something.

Cheers!

BTW...the reason seals go bad is often (if not usually) because the bearing has gone south. Consider: The bearing wiggles...the shaft moves...the seal is gonna contain it? Of course not! That is not true of every seal failure. I have never found a fork tube bearing failure to cause a fork seal to leak.

:hmm:

Truth is...I've never found a fork tube bearing! Probably yet another something I'm missing. :neutral:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:You sir... have a problem!

It appears the shaft has a piece at the bottom that screws to the shaft that is broken. You will have to disassemble the right cover to get to it. That means pulling the clutch also.

If the shop did this... they have hell to pay! :evil: They apparently did not support the shaft while disassembling the claw.

That's exactly why I do my own work....
I don't see why carvr is upset. No lazy fair here I think......

good advice.

Inda goes on to restate that something down below is broken and attaches a link for photos of what may be broken. That the peson suffering the damage is now moving on to another issue isn't cause to assume that this has been glossed over.
Am I missing something as well?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Alrighty then, I am a plane ride away from the bike freaking out that I have a race next weekend and that the bike is busted. The really weird thing is that if this is true, and it's been like this since the dealer did the top end, could it be possible that the reason the seal is gone is due to the fact the broken part is rolling around my gear case? :hmm:

Side cover off, clutch out, fish out broken part... while I am in there, what else should I be looking at and replacing other than a bearing and seal? This sounds like it's going to cost some dough and some time. Sounds like I need to have a heart to heart with my dealer and see if he is going to help out. This _ _ _ _ s!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully the Kawi service manual and you all will guide me through this.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Cost shouldn't be high... It's your time that's worth something. I missed that screw... It is very hard to see with the pipe on.... I thought something was wonky but couldn't put my finger on it. The piece on the end may be fine... may not.... don't know until you look or the irresponsible thing of putting the screw in and takin it up to 6K to see if the KIPS works and possibly causing a ton of damage.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Monkey's back!!!:

Re: 'Am I missing something as well?'

Yes.

Did you happen to read what I said? What is the not-to-be-understood part?

Inda didn't miss it this time.

The question had to do with the rod lifting and the screw missing. Those items are related.

The condition of the bottom pin assy. is yet to be determined. Lifting the rod isn't likely to cause the damage to the pin assy that wrenching on the rod without supporting it with a wrench will. The latter effect is clearly shown in the gallery linked pics that Inda put up.

Re: 'The really weird thing is that if this is true,...'

There is no 'if' about it. It's true. The screw is missing. So is the pin, else you could not lift the rod.

..no ands, no buts about it, either.

I don't know if you can determine the condition of the bottom pin assy. with the clutch on. I would think so. I've not looked at that.

You are clear on what it is you want to find out? Again...the links Inda put up show you a BAD one. You want to see the pin on the bottom of that shaft to be s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t. Obviously, I am not referring to the pin itself. IT won't actually be bent..but it must be both parallel to the rod and 90º to the bracket....it must be 'square'.

Got it?

Oh...unless the person that screwed this up is a magician..the pin that is missing should not have found it's way into the engine.

If the actuator rod pin assy is good..then all you need is a pin and a screw. Take a look at the OEM 'fiche..their are specs of the pin listed. Get one from a hardware store if you need to..and a metric screw...you're done. You could get one that is too long and cut it to size.

So...don't freak out!!!

...just start sweating a little............

Oh...I think the word you're looking for is, 'SUCKS!'

:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!