Dealer Edicate

Got questions? We got answers....
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm going out on a limb I guess - I know there are shops that screw people but there are also those that are worthy of your trust. I worked in a shop in the early 70s, that to the best of my knowledge, never screwed anyone over in the bike repair area. (Worked there for about 2 years but was associated with the shop for about 12 years)

I've found a repair shop in my area where I buy 90% of my bike and snowmachine parts and occasionally have them perform some work for me. i.e. rebuild shocks and rebuild lower ends (sleds and bikes).

Been dealing with them for about 15 years without one compliant on my end during our owner/customer relationship. I've referred many friends and have not ever heard a compliant related to the owners mechanical ability. It a mom and pop type shop. Owner was originally trained through an apprentiship program (Yamaha dealership) and after working for about 10 years and then ventured out on his own. He repairs all brands of motorsports equipment associated with PWCs, snowmachines, dirt bikes, street bikes, and ATVs.

I believe the variety of the work keeps his interest and skills up to par along with his sincere desire to have satisfied customers.

Bottom Line - Do NOT distrust ALL shops - search out the shops in your area using recommendations from people in your area!! Especially if you want work performed and don't have the time and are willing to spend the bucks.

Second Note - concerning Skipro's recommendation. A lot of shops will not accept motors that are torn down below a certain point. i.e. Removing the motor from the bike is fine: Removing the carburetor, kick start/gear levers, exhaust pipe and reed block is fine:

Rotor and stator removal along with cylinder, head, and piston removal will be fine with many shops, but some shops will limit their warranty of the repair work. Reason being - a failure in the lower end after they have completed their could easily be YOUR fault. e.g. tapping the rotor on with a hammer or using an impact wrench on the rotor nut: letting dirt or debris into the crank area during reassembly, or leaving an air leak somewhere due to poor seal, etc. Things like losing circlips into the engine are immediately apparent but questions on whether or not you pounded on the wrist pin to get it through the piston are less obvious.

NOTE - I do remove the cylinder, head, and piston from the engine block prior to having a dirt bike crank rebuilt. Sled engines are just the cases, stator/rotor, and crank

I would not expect the shops I have dealt with to accept or stand basket cases - which I believe is the area your getting into when you start removing side covers and internals contained within. The time it takes a mechanic to remove the side cover, kick starter gear, clutch, main gear and water pump/power valve mechanism is minimal. Maybe 10-15 minutes. He'll likely have the engine buttoned up with a new seal installed within 1 to 1 1/2 hours maybe 2 hours if he needs to install new main bearings on the crank. (If your looking to minimize time and therefor dollars on your end make sure the engine cases are extremely clean when you hand off your engine to the mechanic. If not - if he is methodical (good) you will have significant time in cleaning your parts - $$$.

IMHO - researching to find a reputable shop in your area and presenting them with a VERY CLEAN stripped intact lower engine case assembly is time well spent. :wink:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
greentrashmasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by greentrashmasher »

First let me say that I have never worked for any dealership or repair shop and am not terribly fond of most.

Second when you do find a dealer or repair facility that you trust 100% it is a tremendous relief that you can rely on them to help you when you need it. Lets face it not everyone wants to work on cars/bikes or whatever. I have worked on my own vehicles for 25 years for different reasons (no money, no trust, no time to wait), but at this point I honestly would rather ride my bike than work on it.

Not all dealers are scammers though there ceretainly are some. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, if you make it known, before you leave you parts/vehicle, exactly what you do and don't want done you will clear up 99% of the problems. If the shop won't agree to it, go elsewhere!! This applies to all services that you pay for. No honest shop will ever complain because you know what you want done. And niether will an honest customer.
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Thanks for the notes on whether to trust or not. Good thoughts. I will ask around my race series and see who is a trusted sole. While we have that baby apart, should we touch the clutch at all? 06, C class mid pack hare scrambler.

As far as the crank seal goes, this seems unusual that right after a top end it starts using gear oil. Anything to this or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks as always. :supz:
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

OK - what am I missing here... take a look a these two photos and tell me what you see?

No where in the manual does it say (that I can find) how these two are suppose to match up.

Obviously I have missed something somewhere.

Now what is up with the hole in the side where the shaft goes. Is there a fastener missing and would this let foreign matter into the crankcase? This shaft freely moves up and down.

Thanks again for all your help.

BTW - When I pulled the pipe and did a sneak peak, the new Wiseco is as clean as a whistle. Pulling the head just to make sure everything looks fine.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You sir... have a problem!

It appears the shaft has a piece at the bottom that screws to the shaft that is broken. You will have to disassemble the right cover to get to it. That means pulling the clutch also.

If the shop did this... they have hell to pay! :evil: They apparently did not support the shaft while disassembling the claw.

That's exactly why I do my own work....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

When I got the bike back from the original top end, the dealer asked me if I had more bottom end. When I told him no, he was surprised. This might have something to do with that as well.

Inda, does the online book give specific how to reassemble the CLAW? The Kawi book does not that I can see.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The CLAW is just on top of the shaft... it's whats on bottom of the shaft that is broken. There are pics somewhere and I have been looking for them. When I find the, I will post.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Check out these pics...

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/modules. ... _album.php

When it is raised above the gear... can you turn the shaft with your hand? If not... you may be OK....
Last edited by Indawoods on 02:39 pm Mar 22 2009, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Yes I can rotate at least 180 degrees without any resistance at all.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't know... I should go pull mine...
I think you should be able to find the sweet spot where the shaft will key into that slot on the other end... where you can't rotate it by hand... then it will be keyed correctly. I vaguely recall being able to pull mine up like that ...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Question is when I get it lined up, what will keep it from vibrating up and out of mesh again?
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hopefully the cover...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

All right so I will line up the teeth, grease them, put the cover back on and ride.

While I was in there I rotated the pinion shaft and it rotated fairly easily.

Thanks Inda for all your help.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Ding Ding Ding....

Pending Supporting member status...

I too Inda thank you for all you do for us that are not all knowing with two inverted left thumbs.

:supz: You rock..... :supz:

Was there a bounty on the Ski's avatar.... whoever got to him must have their own video :lol:
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Just cuz the seal is leaking doesn't mean the bearings are bad. Personally I would change them anyway if you have to split the cases to do the seal. On a YZ you can swap crank seals without splitting the cases though. Not to start an oil war, but I was very unhappy with BelRay premix oil. A friend who swears by it has blown 2 motors in 3 years. As long as he's happy I guess it's good oil.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I started with Bel-Ray... switched soon after.... everything was sticky inside the motor and my KIPS was stuck. Just my experience though.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

I too started with Bel Ray premix and changed and am much happier. Guess which gear oil I am using? You guessed it... Bel Ray. I THINK I will also trying another gear oil as well.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:Just cuz the seal is leaking doesn't mean the bearings are bad. Personally I would change them anyway if you have to split the cases to do the seal. On a YZ you can swap crank seals without splitting the cases though. Not to start an oil war, but I was very unhappy with BelRay premix oil. A friend who swears by it has blown 2 motors in 3 years. As long as he's happy I guess it's good oil.
I've used belray for nearly 30 years...did have problems with power valves sticking before they came out with the power-valve formula about 15 years ago. I've never blown an engine in my life and have put much more load and rpm on them than most riders - I used to be a clear-creek fanatic and I'd run the engines full throttle up the long steep hill climbs available back then - they'd stink, they'd ping, they run-over and surge at the top, but they never blew.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I never heard any negatives on their gear oil. I just use regular motor oil though since I change it a lot and it's cheaper.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220