Trailers

Got questions? We got answers....
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trailers

Post by radonc73 »

I kind of bent the hell out of the front of my HarborFreight trailer and am now looking for a replacement. Any suggestions? I have looked online at TSC and the lumber stores Lowes and the like. The HF lasted me for 3 years, not bad for 200 and a day sitting on a 5 gallon bucket. I was looking at the TSC 4x8 for $300.

Anyone have experience with this one? I will have to put 3/4 inch plywood flooring down.

If I can put it on my Lowes card then want a wiremesh floored 5x8 but the card may melt in my hand.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What do you drive?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I got one of the heavier welded angle iron units with 3' sides an front that you see for sale in the trailer sales lots. I stuck a bike rail in the middle and made a wheel chock out of rebar attached to the front of the rail, that way I can use the trailer to also haul trash or whatever. I think I paid 800 or sumpin, but it'll last forever - the 14" tires are nice too. One year I hauled three bikes and gear in it to the races out of state and it handled the load perfectly. I think if you are going to stay in the sport, you're money ahead to get a heavier type that will last the duration.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I have a 99 Jmmy but in the somewhat near future I will inherit a Ford Escape.

I have thought about buying a used trailer but I need to go looking at the few lots I know of in a 20 mile radius.

I was noticing that the TSC doesn't have pockets for side rails. I really haven't looked much as I noticed how bent it was yesterday morning. I was hauling drywall and had to back up and jackknifed it, I had jked it before but this time I went a little too far. :evil: and the bastage bent.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

try craig's list in your area (do a search for "trailers" on your region's home page). Out here in CO, that returns more listings than you could possibly want to look at. Then, try identifying some that have been listed multiple times, or for severak weeks without being sold. You can probably find yourself a nice three rail for $500, maybe less.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

I have this one. http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowTrailer.asp?id=2

Chinese made. Pretty good steel and designed well. Tinkertoy put together which was sort of a pain. Has stood up for 3 yrs so far. Always have to check the bolts that sometimes work loose. I put a 3/4 inch plywood deck on it and sealed it with waterproof sealer. Worth the $$, IMHO
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have one bike to haul...so I use the hitch plugin type... no plates, no hassle!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

My neighbor is selling a nice 5x8 for $300 Tom. Feal like a road trip? :lol:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I ended up getting a 4x8 from Menards. THey didn't have any of the 5x8 with a mesh tailgate. THe Menards one has a mesh floor. I had a Menards rental truck but there was a 3 hour wait on the truck so much for reservations. I needed to pick up drywall and had people waiting for me to bring it. They were there to help me so I needed to do something.

I told the wife I was going to have to get a trailer eventually anyway so I got the Menards card with 0% interest for 6 months. Good thing she was at work so she couldn't scream too loud.

Now I have to get a Reese hitch b/c the trailer is way tipped back when it is on my bumper hitch. More money means I have to work more OT and ride less. I don't like the way that works out.

THe Harbor Freight one had been tristed and straightened out several times before so I guese it just gave in.

This one is much better constructed concidering I put the last one togather in one day and it never seemed sturdy enough.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Well on further review the one I got has no way of putting stake pockets on the outside. I need ideas on what else I could use to at least put sides on the trailer as the top rail is only 10 inches high.

THe top rail is on the same vertical plane as the base siderail. My trailer doesn't have the rear gate and I wanted to put wooden sides on it like my HF trailer had.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Menards should have the stake pockets....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

They do, but I don't see anywhere to put them on the outside. The top piece of angle iron is pointed "out" 2 inches and the "inner" piece is even with the edge of the decking. The stake would have to go on the outside of that 2 inches, I could put the pockets on the inside of the bottom angle iron but that would cut down on the width I can haul if I need 4x8 sheets of anything and my honey do list includes alot of remodeling in our basement.

I didn't know if there was anything I was missing. It has triangle pockets but they also would go through the top bar. So I think that is just for strap hooks.

I had considered just putting pockets on the back only but that seems a little hillbilly even if I spraypaint them black. :lol: I might just get a piece of plywood and cut it to 10 inches and run that along the 3 sides but would also like to have something I can see out the rearview mirror when I am backing up as to avoid jackknifing this one also.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've had a HF trailer for +13 years

Too help see it while backing up I took two 4 foot sections of 1" pvc pipe and mounted them on each side to the very rear end of the trailer with brackets and clevis pins. I painted the top foot or so of each pipe with florescent green paint

I found out the hard way that these trailers use a very hard to find on a Saturday, bearings. I eventually found 3 bearings and paid $15 a piece for them and they did not include races.

I ended up spending a $100 on a brand new Heavy Duty Dexter axle
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I think I will have to take in in and have someone some pieces for the stakes to go through. I never seemed to have a problem until I was a bit loaded and tried to back it up. This trailer is built much better but the PVC poles are a great idea. I need to buy a set of bearings to have on hand. I see that Menards and HF have started to seel bearing buddies, so those will be in place soon. Not haveing the 8 inch tires will help with the bearings but the HF ones that came with the trailer were junk and my dust caps never seemed to stay on without duct tape, I don't know if they vibrated out or what.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER