Chain roller tensioner bolt loose?

Got questions? We got answers....
HIKDX

Chain roller tensioner bolt loose?

Post by HIKDX »

I have a 1997 220. Bought a new turner lower chain roller tensioner wheel. When I went to put it on, after having my old one off, and in my workshop area apart for over a month, the bolt of the new one is really loose and wobbley when I put it through the frame hole to mount the roller wheel. I looked at the old one I took off, and dont see any sort of sleeve that the bolt goes through to keep it a bit more snug in the frame hole. I think I may have lost or misplaced a bolt sleeve or something that goes in there. Anyone else know what part I may have misplaced or what would normally go in there? As of now, I only have the bolt, the nut, the new roller with bearings in it, a sleeve between the bearing cases in the wheel, and some washers. The bolt through the frame seems to be missing something...
Thanks.
HIKDX
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No piece you removed from the old should be used on the new unless you are replacing OEM parts.

The new snubber should come with everything you need to put it on.

The key as I read your post:

' the new roller with bearings in it, a sleeve between the bearing cases in the wheel..'

Some idlers come with only one bearing..and a sleeve is a separate piece.

If yours has TWO bearings AND a sleeve between the bearing inner races (between the bearings as you say), you should be able to mount it quite snug to the frame 'cuz all you're squeezing is metal. Any 'loose and wobbly' part of the bolt to the frame won't matter because it will be tightened.

Any idler I've seen has 'instructions' on the package cautioning against overtightening IF it's a single bearing setup.

Those things are wobbly ALL the time (not generally the bolt to the frame..but the bolt to the idler..through whatever bushing/bearing (or not) is provided.

Good luck with it!

Written hours ago..but didn't hit the 'send' button!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
HIKDX

Post by HIKDX »

Thanks. I plan to go over to our other house on friday and work on the bike again...and this idler is on my to do list, so I appreciate the info and will apply it to the fix.
HIKDX
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If 'friday' was LAST Friday..it's over already.

How'd it go?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!