The Pirelli MT-43 Trials tire.

Got questions? We got answers....
xagentman

The Pirelli MT-43 Trials tire.

Post by xagentman »

Ok, so after much debate and reading and researching... I took the plunge and bought my first Trials tire for off-road trail use. I will get it mounted and tested ASAP.

Now, since I can't give you my riding impressions yet, I will give you my first impressions. I ordered it from Motorcyclesuperstore.com for $58.80 before shipping and it was delivered next day to me.

Visually, it looks a lot meaner than I had anticipated. The tread looks and feels aggressive and the sidewalls of the tire are just as sturdy and most knobies i have seen and it is very wide. My understanding is that this is seen as a hybrid trials tire, a best of both worlds. A tire made for single track trail riders like many of us.

You can get a good idea of how it performs here:

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0 ... index.html

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0 ... to_07.html

My first hand impressions to follow soon.

I hope this thing is as good as I have heard.
Any of you have experience?
==05 KDX220R==
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Good info :grin:
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I rode my brother's 220 with the MT43 a couple of weeks ago, and all I can say is WOW! I loved it. After my MT16 wears out, it will be my next rear tire. Amazing hookup and great "feel", kinda like floating over obstacles.

He used it in a 60 mile cross country race, pretty high speed stuff with a ton of rock, and it performed amazing. He said he could go in and out of corners faster because no tire spin, and could haul up any rock garden without breaking traction.
'
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

Hope you all had a great fathers day I know I did. I happened to get a chance to run the MT-43 Trials tire on a short 30 min run on some local trails.

I grip is very nice. I was typical NW terrain with mud, ruts, roots and everything in between. At no time did I even really notice the tire. I think that is a good thing. I did all the regular stuff and was expecting to "know" I was riding with a trials tire, but I could feel no loss of performance of any kind. There was no wobble, no instability at higher speeds on logging roads and no fear of sidewall flats. Beyond that, the grip was great, the bumps were soaked up smoothly and the tire performed above expectations in the mud, cleaning out well and staying glued to the ground.

I will say, that in places where I am used to giving the bike a quick throttle rap and throwing some roost, instead I find the front wheel coming up off the ground. It is a feeling that would normally require a lot more throttle to get and I am continuly amazed at the tires ability to grant traction where I would expect to find little.

I am looking forward to some more extended rides as I find time for them. And I will be sure to keep you guys posted on my findings.

So far, I cant see any reason not to fall in love with the MT-43

-X
==05 KDX220R==
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Good write up. I agree. I really cant see any downside to running this tire.
'
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

Alright, just a quick update.

I got a nice long ride in with the tire this last weekend and I think the only flaw I have found was that it can sometimes hook up too much.

Now, By too much I mean that I could have used another 5hp to really get the most out of the tire.

I am running R&B and FMF pipe and reeds, all set for low end and still their was an occasional time when I wanted a bit more.

Now, this may have to do with me being a bit overweight... (no doubt) so, along with a diet I was thinking about dropping 1 tooth on the sproket.

I am not familiar with the best one to lower but I know one of you has a good idea.

So, suggestions.. plz. Front or rear sproket? 1 tooth? 2 teeth?
I don't want to have to change the chain and if I remember I can make a minor change and not have too.

Thanks for your input.

-X
==05 KDX220R==
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

Ok, so a bit more info is in order...

I am running a stock ratio on an 05' KDX 220

I believe that is a 13/47.

Should I lower the front to a 12, or is that going to be too drastic?
Maybe a 13/48 or 13/49 would be more in order?

Please keep in mind that this Trials tire is huge!
its a 4.00-18

Not sure how that mesures up to tires that I am used too but... Its big.
I think that is much of the power loss im feeling.
==05 KDX220R==
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Trying a 12/47 is a very inexpensive and easy way to figure out what would work best for you. I say go for it. If the change is too much you can move into a 13/49 or something like it.

You can get them for as little as $12. Even the Renthals are less than $20. And one less tooth means you'll only need to tighten the chain up a notch or two.

I enjoyed the 12/47 but it made the gearing a bit too short for my kind of riding when I carried through with additional mods. With your trials tire and no wheel spin, though, it could very well be what you're looking for. If my kind of riding were more tighter I'd still have the 12/47 combo. Expect to shift a little more. Worse case is you end up with a 12-tooth C/S that you don't use.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I had 13/50 until I did the RB mods, now I am back to stock 13/47. With the extra boost the mods give you, 13/47 just feels better to me. I can often leave it in 3rd most of the day and forget about it. I like the 13/47 for tight stuff as well (less shifting).

I get my MT43 trials tire this week. Cant wait.
'
FRYSPEED

Post by FRYSPEED »

Certain clubs only allow Trials tyres for enduros in the UK.They last alot longer and grip really well unless its real muddy.I like them.They dont dig the ground up like enduro and mx tyres so venues dont get ruined.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Just another little plug for the MT43.

My brother and I just rode 80 miles on Monday/Tuesday at Capitol forest in WA. Terrain is all singletrack that is very tight (if you hit 3rd gear, you are flying), and covered with tons of roots and rocks and is quite steep.

The MT43 performed flawlessly. Great traction at all times. You never, and I do mean never get any wheelspin. You definitely have to change your cornering techniques though. No more sliding in and popping the clutch to roost out. Now, just feather the clutch and roll in the throttle kind of like a 4-stroke would.

BTW, we called Pirelli and they recommend running 10-12 psi. I've noticed that many folks with trials tires run air pressures that you would run on a trials bike and then they complain about constant flats.
'
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

Well, the 12/47 works great for me.

Thank you all for your advice.

Another long ride on the MT-43 and I am totally in love.
I have never had such great traction. I really feel like this tire had made up for some of my flaws in technique.

oh and Firf, I run 13psi in mine.. and it feels perfect. :supz:
==05 KDX220R==
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I agree. The trials tire does help with mistakes especially on nasty, technical hills and in long rocky sections. I love that you can get more of a cushy "feel" as well.

I dont see any downside to running this tire except maybe in really thick mud.
'