SLIPPING OUT OF GEAR

Got questions? We got answers....
djlefd
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

SLIPPING OUT OF GEAR

Post by djlefd »

I HAVE A 1998 KDX220R AND AFTER A LONG RIDE MY BIKE KEPT SLIPPING OUT OF GEAR AND GOING INTO NEUTRAL IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT GEAR I AM IN.ANY SUGGESTIONS
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Is it coming out of gear a while AFTER it engages or during or immediately after the attempted engagement?
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
djlefd
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by djlefd »

imediatly after
DAVID

Post by DAVID »

Try an oil change. My street bike was sometimes poping out of second under power when I first got it. Changed the oil and it went away.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Definitely oil change, and check your clutch adj too, of course.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
reddirtjoe

Post by reddirtjoe »

My 97 220 did the same thing. It had a spring broken one the shifting thingy!! Under and to the left of clutch assembly is a "change drum holder (Six sided star looking thing), it has a roller assembly(13236) held in to it by a spring. That spring is what had broke on mine. I found it at ron ayers using their microfiche. The spring part number is 92144. Hope that helps
green_passion
Supporting Member

Post by green_passion »

My '02 had the same exact problem. It's incredibly frustrating to be in the middle of a hill climb, trying to grab more gears and it pops into neutral. :evil:

We tried changing the oil but it still didn't fix it. So we decided to split the cases and check the gears. As it turns out, my second gear was just slightly worn and some of the teeth were gouged a bit. Once we changed-out second gear and replaced the shiffting forks & springs- problem fixed. :mrgreen:
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress; no matter how slow." - Plato

2002 KDX 220-LONG LIVE THE KING!!! :supz:
My Gallery—Clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My 04 is horrible about this. always has been. changing oil helps a bit, but compared to any other bike we've owned, it's a total nuisance. My kid envy's how easy it is to get in nuetral, I envy his positive gearbox.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I don't ever remember my 220 popping into neutral once in gear - I'll hit neutral on the way to 2nd now and then, but never just popping back into neutral.

I'll bet it's something you don't have to live with, i.e. a fix or an adjustment as suggested.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!