suspension greasing

Got questions? We got answers....
cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

This is killing me, I just want to stick the greasy bolt in and get er done :partyman:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Don't see what's wrong, the seal is on the outside yes cuz you want the shoulder to rest against the inner sleeve, that's at leat the way I understand it...
cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

My seals have the collar vulcanized to them, (one part) the inside of the collar is perfectly machined to fit over and against the end of the inner sleeve and the seal goes snugly into the outer machined slot.. not the way its shown in the diagram..
Im sure im overreacting as it can only go one way. But I like to make sure I put stuff together correctly.
By the way these are all factory parts im dealing with.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Can't tell from the posted pic, I'll check it out on mine tonight but it seems you have it right
cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

Just torqued it up and it seems fine, the manual is decieving but common sense has prevailed again :partyman:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The illustration is correct.

Note that the illustrations used at BuyKaw, RonAyers and others are not meant to be exact as far as what something looks like. That isn't the point of the diagram.

The drawing does show the (usually correct) orientation of one part to another, and what parts there are in an assy.

That said....the illustration is correct.

The 'small shoulder' does go 'in'. The inner diameter fits against the corresponding bearing sleeve. The seal surfaces (there are two lips to each seal) end up sealing against the (in this case) swingarm itself.

Another way to look at it: The recess of the seal faces INto the assy. That recess should be filled with grease when you service the swingarm...or anything else with such a seal. Your wheel bearing seals 'fer example.

If yours were NOT as drawn when you took yours apart..someone before you did it wrong.

A bit too fast on the 'prevailed again' part.

This may be all a matter of misunderstood description..but the illustration IS correct.

oops. :oops:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

The diagram used by ronayers and buykawi is straight from the service manual. I realize its just to give you an idea as to how the parts are assembled. In this case , there is only one way they can go and if you ask me its not the way shown in that drawing if you zoom in on the seal. Could be just a lack of detail on kawi's part or whoever did the diagram.
Yes I always fill the seals with grease and also grease the faces of the seals to help them slide over the bolt and seal.
No oops this time..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The part you're asking about is not listed as a seal, but a cap. That said to keep nomenclature straight.

When you referred to 'oil seals' and 'schematic', I looked at that...the oil seals in the suspension diagram posted earlier in this thread (92049A)...which is why I asked where the 11012 came from.

It's more apparent how the 92049A orients to the unitrack than how the 11012 orients to the swingarm.

Still...the diagram is correct.

Why say that again? 'Cuz I would imagine that I am not the ONLY one that looks at the swingarm diagram and doesn't have a problem with it. It would be unfortunate if any such observer got the idea that they should put THEIR 'caps' in 'backwards' because the diagram is 'wrong'.

Consider the source

cyclenutz

OK

Post by cyclenutz »

So the two lips if the seal part of the cap should be seated firmly in the recessed shouler of the swingarm correct ?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: OK

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
cyclenutz wrote:So the two lips if the seal part of the cap should be seated firmly in the recessed shouler of the swingarm correct ?
And when I say, 'Yes.', you will say, 'That's the way I put them in, which is NOT what the diagram shows!'???

...probably.

I'm not arguing with you about your install being right or wrong.

My point concerns what is evidently interpretation of the diagram. I don't see a problem with it, you evidently do. Fine. As long as no one turns the things backwards 'cuz they think something is wrong with the drawing.

A btw, but the lips of that cap may NOT be inside the swingarm if the bearing was replaced...but wasn't placed in the right place.

But...that's a separate issue.

Consider the source

cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

Thats the way I put them in which is not what the diagram shows ...
LMFAO :partyman:
Thanks for the help.. Me thinks me done it right
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

At least we agree that the diagram is correct............

:wink:

I've looked at the same pieces more'n twice when I put them back in....I know why there would be a question about 'em.

Heck...maybe mine are in backwards!!! :shock:

**edit**

OK! You got the last word!! I give!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 06:35 pm Jul 01 2008, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

cyclenutz

Post by cyclenutz »

I still dont agree with the way they show the cap in the drawing, but that horse needs to be limed and covered over.
:partyman: