KDX 200 carb jet needle adjustment?

Got questions? We got answers....
midlifemoto

KDX 200 carb jet needle adjustment?

Post by midlifemoto »

was over riding in Central Oregon this past week, about 4,000 foot elev.....wanted to adjust the needle clip setting but wasn't sure how to get the needle out..never taken had a flat slide carb before...anybody care to share? thanks!
I spent most of my money on women and beer, the rest I just wasted

2006 KDX 200
2007 Harley Softail Custom
2004 Harley Heritage Special (was owned by Evel Knievel)
2006 CRF100 (sons)
2006 CRF 150 (girlfriends)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

If I remember correctly, it's quite simple.

1. Unscrew the slide from top of carb
2. Pull up the spring
3. Take a 6mm socket and loosen the bolt that was underneath the spring
4. With that 6mm bolt gone, push the needle up and out of the slide.

Keep everything clean, too.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

In order to keep everything together, I use a pair of surgical pliers that have the locking ratchets on them. I pull the spring up, clip the pliers on, (an old fashioned roach clip will work too) unhook the throttle cable ball from the fancy nut, and then unscrew the 6mm nut that holds the clip down in there. Tip the slide over and the clip will fall out. Be sure to remove the clip someplace where you won't loose it!! It's tiny and will try to fly. There's a reason they are called Jesus clips; when installing or removing, they take off on you and you shout out, "Jesus!!"
Ha!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

2nd the hemostat's...(surgical pliers), and yeah it's a good idea to keep a small baggie full of 1/8" E clips handy. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

great, thanks...yeah, those little clips do go "twang" off into neverland

2006 KDX 200
2006 CRF100 (sons)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Use a 6pt socket..and don't use anything else, no pliers. It's not a bolt. It's a hex head, but it is hollow to accept the slug on the end of the throttle cable. If you use anything but a 6pt socket, chances of crushing the thing are excellent.

Put some anti-seize on the threads when you put it back together.

Make sure the tab on the white nylon retainer fits into the slot in the cable retainer (the part you wrenched out).

Note that ski's 'how-to' includes taking the cable off the retainer. The 1-4 steps above (whoever did that) left that part out.

Carry a spare clip if you're changing needles. It is NOT likely a clip you'll find at the local hardware store, either. It's considerably thinner than a like-diameter US (not metric) clip. About the time the installed clip sproings off into the weeds and you don't have a spare..you're done riding.

Not to demean your manly strength...but be very careful threading the cap back on. It will crossthread REAL easy!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

thanks again...this site is such a great resource

2006 KDX 200
2006 CRF100 (sons)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

On hemostats:

If you have the kind (likely) with serrated jaws, put some heat shrink on them before you clamp the cable. At least use some tape (I'd prefer to not have to mess with creeping adhesive from tape)!!

While it won't likely immediately destroy your cable, repeated use of serrated jaws will damage it. Than again, not all serrations are the same. I've seen different levels of 'rough'. Most 'stats have a flat part toward the pivot..but using that part puts too much pressure on the cable imo.

Yet another btw...on the CHANCE that someone put a 1/2 clip spacer under the clip..LOOK for it when you take the needle out. I have some of those spacers (I think..somewhere), haven't used one (I should. 3.5 clips on a DEK I think would be great), but someone out there has. Might as well expect it as opposed to being surprised to find it stuck in your reed cage someplace.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ya sissies!

I use my fingers... easy peasy!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well...me, too, but I wasn't going to start name-calling.

I don't want to be called a know-it-all AND a name-caller!! SOMEone might threaten to knock my teeth out or sumthin'...if I have any left from the last go-round.

:shock:

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

LOL, yeah it's harder on my Mikuni TM. Never had a problem w/ the PWK. WR is getting ready to receive a 36mm PWK so that'll be the end of that. :mrgreen:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Well...me, too, but I wasn't going to start name-calling.

I don't want to be called a know-it-all AND a name-caller!! SOMEone might threaten to knock my teeth out or sumthin'...if I have any left from the last go-round.

:shock:

Man you DID take a beating on that thread; I missed it because I was out of town and it was locked before I could join in on the fun. At least you were RIGHT.

'Guess I'll start having to take my laptop and check up on things for now on :grin:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

poor CC...I was going to say he's right 98% of the time and doesn't worry about the other 3%

yeah, that dude is probably ordering some ammonia nitrate and manuer as we speak...geesh,,,he oughta' be rebuilding his sensitivity meter instead of top end

and CC, I saw the pictures from your last ride, you sure you didn't mean "knock my tooth out" LOL :rolleyes:

2006 KDX 200
2006 CRF100 (sons)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

poor CC...I was going to say he's right 98% of the time and doesn't worry about the other 3%
Maybe the numbers need to be reversed..as long as they add up to more'n 100%, that'll give the grace of missing a thing or two.

:hmm: Maybe those nummers need to add up to 200%..or more? I miss a LOT!

Knock my 'toof' out? I must'a missed something...else you got me confused with one'a the other loons. I gots most'a my toofs.
:wink:
..he oughta' be rebuilding his sensitivity meter....
Ha! Complete with ACC technology 'fer sure!!! (Automatic Clipping Control..or Circuitry?).

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Another tip, and on topic too!!

I keep an extra needle with 3 or 4 clips attached in my fanny pack. That way, if I loose a clip, I have a stash. If your buddy looses a clip, you own him!! Ha!! Beer AND dinner for a clip my friend!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That's a good idea...
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Extra clips or small rubber " O " rings. THEY DO WORK !!! Get's ya back to the truck, anyway.

CC, your still MY hero. :shock:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm not sure I wanna know anything about that..........

Hadn't thought of a little o-ring. Good idea. That does bring to mind something else.

An 'e-clip' of US spec will work..meaning you can force it on the needle and it will hold the needle up. BUT, like that o-ring, it will hold the needle too snug in the slide. When you GET back to the truck, remember to REPAIR the carb having just FIXED it.

The needle is supposed to be loose..NOT tight.

BTW...ski may well have all that neat-o stuff in his butt blister...but he doesn't carry it with him when he rides..so it doesn't do anyone a whole lotta good.

:roll:

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

RE: US spec e-clip - what is the correct spec? I suppose the needle needs some free play to account for variations in the slide movement?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'Correct' is metric. Well, I'm presuming that. I've gone looking for clips at hardware places and not found one that fit..they're too fat (thick) to fit in the needle groove. The same 'fat'ness doesn't fit in the corresponding depression in the slide, thus it's tight. The only places I've gotten clips that fit correctly are OEM from the local Kaw dealer...and Mr. Black.

I suppose there ARE metric e-clips available to the general public..it's not like their nuculure in nature. I just didn't find them.

The exact whyfores of the needle being loose I don't know, either. Slides do move (on the wrong axis) as they wear..mine does. I'm not saying it's s'posed to do that..probably isn't, but I know mine does. Considering where the needle goes when the slide is down (the needle jet), it seems reasonable to me to allow the needle to 'center' itself somewhat, to NOT be held firm in what maybe would be an UNcentered position. Certainly you would want it to never rub on anything.

Consider the source