GPS

Got questions? We got answers....
rdsrf

GPS

Post by rdsrf »

Anybody use a GPS for trail ride exploration? I'd like to get one, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what would suit a motorcycle trail riding environment the best. Recomendations would be much appreciated!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've got a buddy that used one to map a trail section. He took the trace from the GPS and dropped it on a Google Earth satelite image of the area.
Pretty cool, but I think does nothing to answer your question
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Did you do a search on the word GPS here? There's quite a bit of info. I use a Garmin that mounts on my bars. Works great and when I'm back home, I can download to google earth and print maps.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Hey Ski, my tracks used to show up on google earth somehow, but now when I download my tracks they just stay in mapsource which has zero detail. I run the Garmin Legend cx.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Check to see if the file extension is supported by Google. I had to save mine as the correct file type.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Skipro, what model GPS do you have? Being able to lay it down over Google earth would be very useful to me.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Google Earth is pretty handy for finding new riding areas.

Around here the population density is not very high. You can go on Google earth and find pockets and corners of areas where you might go in and cut trail. That's what we did around my neighborhood, anyway.

Some of our trails got taken over by Quads. They are now visible from a low earth orbit:sad:

Just have to watch out for shotgun toting moonshine operators and pot growers :supz:
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Just have to watch out for shotgun toting moonshine operators and pot growers
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

I love Garmin for on my Strom, but much prefer Lowrance for true off-road stuff.

Lowrance hold more points and tracks. The map details are better too.

It will also do google earth overlays with GPSbable http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/

Edit.. Oh FWIW my Lowrance H20 unit handles bike vibes better than any of my Garmin handhelds (the battery's would short out),
the screen is bigger and easier to see and the buttons are bigger and easier to use.

07 KTM 640 Adventure
pcoburn

Post by pcoburn »

Interesting comments - I have a Garmin Legend I tried when I went riding around West Virginia last year, but could get it to keep a lock - not sure if it was a problem with the way I had it mounted (don't see how, it was zip-tied to the crossbar so the antenna should have been in a good spot) or just that the trail was so dense the signal was blocked by the trees. Some of the trails were open, but most (and the ones I didn't want to get lost in and have a Deliverance moment) were narrow trails through the deep woods.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx
Here's a sample of a track I saved riding the Rock Creek OHV area. This is about a 40 Mile Loop ride for size perspective.
Last edited by skipro3 on 09:52 pm Apr 23 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here's another view showing the relief angle and how steep the canyons are

Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's awesome SKI! I had no idea those things are that useful...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here's a photo of Carvr's woods. Notice how steep this area is!! Geez! and y'all wonder why I had a little trouble.....
Jerry

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Another shot of Oregone!!

This is looking due north in case CC and Wib were trying to orient themselves to the map.

Also, I can e-mail this file from my GPS to anyone with the same device and they can upload it into their GPS and ride the same area, turn for turn that we rode.

Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Thats sweet I can identify most of the trails
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'll bring my GPS cable next time and I'll show you what this thing can really do. I want to see the hill I had trouble with and the trail called "screwed by a tree"
Jerry

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I have a couple of traces of trails in a more urban setting. We've got a 20 mile loop going that is pretty tightly packed on about 650 acres.

I can't figure out how to post a picture like Skipro can, though.

I get a little irritable when people lament the loss of riding areas. I've spent many hours CUTTING TRAIL in what would otherwise be wasteland, the kind of area that is used to dispose of household junk and burning stolen cars.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

>|QBB<[/url]
skipro3 wrote:Here's another view showing the relief angle and how steep the canyons are

Ski's shot here remined me of the other difference between Garmin & Lowrance.

Garmin tracks turn out with long straight line segments between points, lowrance tracks follow the exact curves of your path.
If its the only trail its not that big of a deal, but if the trails are packed in tight, it can be tough to follow a garmin track.

I can even see what side of a dirt road I was riding on. The tracks are noticeably separate.

I'd show you fancy elevations shots too......but its damn flat here :oops:
Actually these are my fancy elevation shots....cant you tell :wink:

Nice area you have to ride in Ski... I am jealous

07 KTM 640 Adventure
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Any chance I can get some info on brands and model #'s? What has worked or hasn't worked. What can take the abuse of riding, what features are a must, mounted or hand held etc. Thanks for any help!
Last edited by rdsrf on 04:19 am Oct 27 2008, edited 1 time in total.