New 'to me' bike after a long hiatus.....

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mr. Know-it-all wrote:Replace the plug...with an '8'. There is no reason to fuss with the old plug. What it looks like is of no matter. Replace it.
What do I win?? :grin:

Re: 'I am concerned though at how racket-y the engine sounds.'
Mr. Know-it-all wrote:KDXs are inherently noisy (engine noise). Running a full quart in the trans (vs: .7L) quiets it down some..and there is no deleterious effect (unlike, say, some $8000 punkins that flat quit running if the oil level is a bit too much over spec).

Do I win TWO of 'em?

The black/nylon screw is idle..it raises/lowers the slide. The brass screw is the air screw for the pilot circuit. 'Out' is more air..more lean. 'In' is less air, more rich. It is adjusted to the best throttle response. If you cannot find a 'best' throttle response spot that is acceptable, it's likely because your pilot jet is wrong.

Re: 'It does smoke a bit, even after it warmed up for a few minutes.'

...you expect something else? Worry about it when it doesn't smoke! More about that below *.

Re: 'I pulled the plug after a few minutes to see what it was doing; the plug was still white but wet with mix or oil on the electrode and ceramic around the center electrode. I figure this is running really rich as the previous plug was gunky black.'

Forget all of that. None of it matters.

The new plug will be white..and it will likely be wet even when running as long as it did and in the way you said (sitting there idling I presume)...especially having had trouble starting it. *The crankcase is probably FULL of oil and maybe liquid fuel.

It probably is rich..as any bike that hasn't been properly jetted is likely rich. Remember...it was runnning with a #9 plug! Remember that is wrong.

Which...this is the place I'll insert a gentle suggestion: READ (maybe even a few times) and UNDERSTAND posts made in response to your questions. You will find answers in 'em. About the time a question is asked a second time..the answer haven already been posted..is about the time folks start paying less attention to the questions. Same for continuing to ask the SAME question over and over...having NOT (it would seem) done anything suggested.

I'm not pinging on you particularly...it's simply a statement for general application to every thread.

**edit**
Regarding the motor oil question...from 'Motor Oil' @ wikipedia:
Note that the API oil classification structure has eliminated specific support for wet-clutch motorcycle applications in their descriptors, and API SJ and newer oils are referred to be specific to automobile and light truck use. Accordingly, motorcycle oils are subject to their own unique standards.
Not to put too fine a finger on this...BUT...you asked for oil specs and got them. Further proof of a negative (Why can't I use 'this' ...or 'this'...or 'this'?) is quite a waste of time.
While I'm sure that lots of riders use all sorts of different kinds of oil and report stellar result (and you can certainly use whatever you wish) I would suggest that you use an oil specified for wet clutch use.

I said that already.

I tend to be direct for the purpose of making a point clear. Don't take it personally.

BTW...I've used all sorts of 'non-specified' oils and 'stuff' in many different areas and applications. I'm saying I don't follow my own advice more than once in awhile. That a cleverly fashioned MO of mine that conveniently lets me argue anything I wish to..in any FASHION I wish to. But...that's just 'cuz I'm an arse. :grin:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Try This? Plug out, gas off, throttle wide open, get your neighbor to kick it thirty times. You put a new plug in, turn the gas on and it fires up on the second kick, maybe.

Glad MY simple suggestion did the trick, not that windy tricky english stuff. :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'Replace the plug...with an '8'. There is no reason to fuss with the old plug. What it looks like is of no matter. Replace it.'

Yeah. Gotta watch that tricky english stuff!!!

Besides...it started up on the FIRST KICK...so 'it fires up on the second kick' is at LEAST 100% off!!

There is only way to reasonably resolve this dilemma.

EVERYBODY GETS A PRIZE!!!

Consider the source

jaggeedfire

Post by jaggeedfire »

Point well taken CanyonCarver....I'm pretty thick skinned these days and I should heed my own lessons I preach. I didnt ask the questions about the oil for the reason that I wanted to use a substitute, but for the knowledge of doing the right thing. (Read- my ignorance!!)

I replaced the oil for the simple reason that it was of unknown origin...and as you say could have anything in it. Although upon draining it was very clear and didnt smell to bad. Non the less, the plug was the trick! Also after doing some research on the API info, I did find that the later specs. reduced certain compounds that earlier SE-SH had.

So with all of this, THANK YOU to you all! (Read...you all win) I will be checking in to some jets and testing this machine out. I dont want to romp it yet as I dont know what piston is in it but I am not going to let it get to the condition it was.

-Nick
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

You should really spend the $ NOW on the piston and be done with it just for sake of mind (i know it's alot of $, but after hanging around this website long enough you realise how common it it is to have a grenade on you, with no warning) (not beeing patronizing or anything just my .02 cents) You seem on the right track (i.e I replaced the oil for the simple reason that it was of unknown origin), keep it up :partyman: To me the last order of business for a long lasting relationship with your green monster is the piston :wink:. Ok done with the faterly advice!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There were earlier mentions of other important things..important to do even on a brand new bike. Consider getting that done, too. Mainly, grease the thing: Steering stem, suspension (including swingarm). Suspension setup..correct spring rate/fluid change in the front, sag setting checked/set on the shock, set your clickers.

Have fun re-discovering the black hole for $$ that is a dirtbike!!

Consider the source

jaggeedfire

Post by jaggeedfire »

Alright...I finally got to take it out on the trail today. Runs well and seems to run rich all the way through adjustment. In first gear and 1/4 throttle it seems to have nothing to it and shutters abit. Guessing still to rich? Top end and bottom end torque is good, but mid is kinda gutless down in the gears.

Greasing and all bearings were good. Needed a little on the swing arm, but all-and-all...the bike is in great shape and lots of fun.

Next is the suspension...but I already have a few friends wanting to buy it after they came by, it runs that well and is clean.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'In first gear and 1/4 throttle it seems to have nothing to it and shutters abit.'

There's a 'depends' for 'ya!

If that's a no-load situation..and the 'shutter' part of it is 4-stroking, that's normal.

If the 'nothing to it' means wicking the throttle from that point results in a weak response..you bet there is something wrong.

At 1/4 throttle in first gear, a quick wick should loop you onto your arse. If you get any traction..........

Consider the source