I hate mechanics!

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

I hate mechanics!

Post by scheckaet »

This was the 1st time and the LAST :mad: I brought my bike to the stealership! :evil:
Some of you may remember my kips engine failure a few months back.
Brought the lower end to have the case split and make sure everything was fine. Well they didn't cuz they assumed it was fine...Should'a known better :roll:
Here is after rebuild and 3 rides:

another 3 rides later...

:evil: :mad: :evil: :mad: :evil:

I'll flush in a couple more rides and see how it goes, hopefully the amount of metallic parts will decrease. I'm hoping it's just leftovers from the broken kips actuators :? too small to cause any further damages :please: and parts from the new clutch basket?

Moral of the story: don't trust your mecanic, they'll take every shortcut they can! :mad: MOFO
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

looks like an ass-rippin' to me
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

whatsdatondare?? Dude, your plug has rigabooty :blink:
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
saddletramp wrote:whatsdatondare?? Dude, your plug has rigabooty :blink:
:blink: not familiar with dat dialect :rolleyes:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I recall the KIPS break..don't recall an intent to split the cases...or a clutch replacement. Sorry 'bout that.

The broken KIPS was taken to a dealer to fix? Or taken for further evaluation AFTER you fixed it?

Leftovers? I thought you found the missing piece(s). No?

If someone else replaced the clutch...please do take it apart NOW..and check for washers in all the right places (especially the one under the basket)..correct clutch pack orientation and the like. Look at the back of the basket to see if there is anything rubbing/scraping. Keep in mind the grind marks on the basket that are 'normal'. That will take you 15 minutes, maybe, and be worth a whole lot in the way of ease of mind.

You would have a lot less rigabooty (whatever that is) hanging onto your drain plug if you used an OEM plug!

Pwobwum sawved!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

No I brought the bottom end with the broken pieces I could find (kips actuator, kicking gear and clutch basket) to the dealership (I bought the extended warranty) and ask them what they thought. Well, they deemed not necessary to split the case but replaced all the broken parts, and put everything back together.
Most of the stuff was shaving no big pieces, I'm thinking (well hoping) the shaving are just remains of the grinded kips actuator. If I don't see any less on the next oil change, I'll take it apart and inspect the clutch.

Edit:
When I took the clutch apart, I was very carefull to clean every parts and kept them in specific order along with the clutch plates on a string so I wouldn't forget what goes where. I clearly remember the mecanic wondering where that washer was when he put it all back together but I showed him everything was on the string and said it was a SMART trick (damn I felt good there :grin: )
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 'index' idea works well in a number of places...shim stacks for example. Believe me..it is VERY easy to get shims out of order if you don't index them with a piece of wire, scribe tool...something.
Those little buggers DO like to stick together.

The parts you found had been ground on?

A mechanic that realized the washer had to be there is a good thing!

Good luck. Let's see a clean plug bolt next time!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

What dealer did you tak eit too. Ajax or Hoouse of Kaw?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I went to stillwater that's where I bought it. The staff is nice and friendly, not pushing you around or giving you total BS, even though I have lots of weird stuff on my plug.
I don't think I'll ever give any business to Ajax, one of their mecanics doesn't really know what the hell he's talking about when I had trouble with my front master cylinder, and some of their staff was not very friendly at all if you know what I mean.

If I ever have to split the case, I'll send it to one of the very few I feel capable, Jeff or EG.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Never been to the shop in Stillwater. I don't like Ajax. My few experiences there have not been good. I have heard other bad things about them from other customers.

So far I have only bought parts at House of Kawasaki - haven't dealt with their service dept there.

Our major repairs so far have either been done by me or by Road and Track. They seem to do good work, but are extrmemly busy - two mechanics and one parts guy.

Who is Jeff and EG?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jeff Fredette and Eric Gorr
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Most people would be ahead doing their own mechanical work. Start out on the simpler stuff then graduate to the harder. Yes, there is some trial and error, but so what. The extra tools you'll need don't amount to diddle cost-wise.
Another method to help keep track of where things go is a camera. I used to have a polaroid, but nowadays the digital stuff is even better. Photos work so much better than a shop manual for reassembly positioning.

IMO, if you want it done to your satisfaction, to a standard you can be assured of.... then do it yourself. Never has so much information been readily available to the average guy to do his own work, whether it be housing remodels or machine maintenance.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Amen!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:Never has so much information been readily available to the average guy to do his own work

I did my first fork seal and bushing replacement a couple weeks ago. Discovered I had a big problem the evening before we were going out of town to a race. Went to the Kaw dealer the next morning, watched the RockyMountainMC videos on youtube, got the manual out and did it. Turn out to be one of the easiest things I have ever done to a dirt bike. Forks were always black magic to me before. Now I don't fear working on them.