what if he had been calling it that for 30 years? :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

CC

You are correct. My mistake for trying to answer this at work, should have done it at home and not at breaks/lunch. I misread the first part of your thread.

I did have to slightly tweak one of the spark arrestor vanes to get it back in shape. I didnt have to remove it and didnt try.

Is it really in the garbage? If so give FMF a call and see about replacement parts?

I'm curious. how was the spark arrestor attached?
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How attached?

I don't know. How's THAT for bright?

Like I said, I took out/off all the rivets. Couldn't drill them cuz they just 'sit and spinned.' I took the heads off with an air cut-off tool, then made sure things were detached by pushing the left-over rivet piece out of the hole with a punch.

Looking at the arrestor after I got it out, the flange that was obviously seated against the cannister was very bent (by my gentle persuasion with a piece of hickory and a 2 1/2# sledge) right at a hole in the flange that held one of the rivets.

The reason I was messing with it at all was to get the packing out of the arrestor area. I tried picking at it with a long screwdriver, but couldn't pick the stuff out. I figured I'd just take the thing out and soak it in some Berrymans to clean it up all sparkly.

But, yes...now it's in the garbage.

$140!! That's what THAT bright little idea will cost me! PLUS SHIPPING!!!

Poop

I put my ProCircuit back on. And IT'S kind'a bent (somebody trying to roost a daughter in a mud hole..bit too much traction..looped it, bent it). That's when the pipe alignment fun started.

Life is good!

I emailed FmF a question about parts. Maybe I'll be s'prised!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

CC

If you get a response from FMF about replacement parts would you let me know what they say? One more hit on my end cap and it will be junk. Considering the terrain I have been riding in lately its just a matter of time before it gets nailed again :shock:

I'm wondering if the cheap packing that I used this time is going to clog my arrestor..... What type of packing do you use?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You can get an end cap. I have seen them somewhere.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've used only FmFs fluffy stuff and tried their 4-stroke material, too. The 4-stroke material didn't work for diddle. Too loud...and the bike's performance took a bit of a hit to boot.

When (well...if) I hear anything from FmF, I'll certainly post it on this thread.

The packing I was trying to get out is refered to in the instructions I got with the TC-II. It is NOT referenced in the on-line version of TC-II instructions. During repack they say to poke some packing around the arrestor before the newly wrapped core is inserted.

I didn't try real hard to get the stuff out...'cuz I thought, 'Why mess with it when I can just take it apart?' ...bad decision on my part.

Note: PC's S/A now has an end cap that look like the TC-II.

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Jason

Thanks for the link. Its good to know I can get a new endcap next time. Well, hopefully there wont be a next time.... :lol:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Show it the ball end of a ball peen hammer. :grin:
GregS

Turbine Core II work illustrated, and cleaning up spooge...

Post by GregS »

I hope it's not too late to chime in on this thread. I just started the repacking process on my new-to-me 01 kdx200. I doubt the previous 2 owners ever repacked. The bike has been spooging something horrible and I've gone through 2 rounds of dropping jet sizes (now @ 42 and 152 and the needle clip in 2nd from top position). I knew the packing material must've been full of oil spooge, so it'd be hard to tell if the spooge was still due to rich jetting or from the gunk in the exhaust system. So I finally pulled the muffler off today. Yuck, what a mess! Check out pics of the process @ http://www.geocities.com/g716g716/kdx/t ... repack.htm

So the question now is: do I pull the entire system (i.e. my Gnarly Torque pipe) and flush it with mineral spirits or kerosene to get the residual spooge out? When I pulled the muffler from the pipe, I put my finger inside and it's just gross-icky with black spooge. If I just leave it I figure it'll just find its way back into my new packing (once I get some and repack later this week).

Last question about the spark arrestor (for those who've drilled out the rivets): is there anything to service? After I got out all the old packing material I just swirled a little mineral spirits around and cleaned what I could with a rag -- as far as I could get my hand/fingers on the inside.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mineral spirits or kerosene may get the wet stuff out of the pipe, but there isn't going to be much of that in there. If it's been running a whole lot rich for too long, what you will have is a bunch of carbon baked on. Neither the MS or kero will do much of anything to that.

There are a few internal pipe cleaning methods. Heat it (as in oxy/acy)..a lot..and hit the ouside (tap?) of the pipe to loosen the carbon. Using caustic soda is supposed to work. I'm going to try that one myself...my pipe is on the heavy side.

Pick up a new pipe in a shop. If yours weighs more than it does, it's due to carbon.

Finger inside of what? The cannister? I wouldn't worry about it getting 'back' inside the silencer packing. It's not like there's a quart of goo looking for someplace to go.

There are some posts in this thread that caution you about spark arrestor removal. The rivets that hold it in are a few inches from the end cap end of the cannister. It doesn't come out like the silencer core does, it doesn't slip out.

If you are set on getting it out, talk to Idaho Charley before you do. He has successfully taken his out. Drilled the rivets for sure, but also ended up using a torch to 'persuade' the thing out.

Just so everyone knows what's what...the TCII consists of a silencer and an arrestor (well, and end cap and cannister). The silencer is the perforated tube that comes out when you take the button head screws out. The end cap is riveted on the end of the cannister. The thing with the vanes that sits between the two is the spark arrestor. Usually the term 'spark arrestor' is used to apply to the whole thing, but that's a bit of a misnomer.

GregS: When you say 'spark arrestor' i don't know if you're talking about the actual arresting part or the whole thing. There is no hands /fingers INside the spark arrestor. But when you say, drill the rivets...I'm wondering...

Basic service of the TCII consists of removing the screws from the cannister at the pipe end then removing the silencer core. Remove the existing packing, clean the perforated core with a wire brush, wrap it back up. Use masking tape to hold the packing on during reassembly. Don't just fluff the packing in there. And don't wrap it like a tourniquet, either. More firm than lose. If you have removed the packing around the spark arrestor input that didn't come out with the core you can wrap the core a bit 'long' to fill that space up on reassembly. FmF says to poke some down there with a long screwdriver. But, that portion of the packing likely won't come out unless you pick at it. Most folks just leave it in there..not because it's the right thing to do, but because they don't even realize it's there in the first place.

Cheers!

**edit** Just looked at the geo link.

The hex screw you refer to is designed for draining the spark arrestor if it's full of goo. I've never had anything come out of that hole...well, except the screw.

No, it is not the only thing holding in the arrestor. There are other rivets on approximately the same circumference. Drill those out..and you won't likely have any luck getting the arrestor out either. That's already been addresed.

So...you DID dig out that extra packing. So..as said, wrap 'long' or manually stick some back in there. You are correct, FmF's instructions leave quite a bit to be desired when it comes to servicing their product.

You realize now what parts of the drn post are incorrect? Good.

BTW...I am referencing a TCII for an 'H' model kdx. That is not what your bike appears to be. Ktown's post references the same model.

You will have a lot easier time of wrapping the core AND getting it back in the cannister if you take it OFF your bike.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Pics we need pics!

Well I don't, since I don't have a tc2
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:Well I don't, since I don't have a tc2
The TC1 is pretty much the same as the TC2 internally so I'd think the same general "hints" would apply.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
GregS

Post by GregS »

CC: thanks! I did pull the core off the bike as well -- just don't have a picture of it. I had to get that last bit of packing wrapped around the arrestor inside because... well... I just had to... ;^) it was there, and it was bugging me.

I probably won't sweat the potential goo inside the header/pipe. I don't have a torch.

The bike is an H model ('01) -- or were you talking about the muffler?

I'm just hoping to solve the spooge-shooting-out-the-back problem. My backpack and riding shirts are getting little oil spots all over. Hopefully with the new jetting (42/152) and new packing it'll be resolved. I'll be riding this weekend to see. Unfortunately I can't just ride it around the block a few dozen times -- I live in the city and it's not street legal. Plus, as a 2 stroke I'm pretty self-conscious about the smoke and noise -- even when I just fire it up in the drive.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

m0rie wrote: The TC1 is pretty much the same as the TC2 internally so I'd think the same general "hints" would apply.

-Maurice
Well in that case...

ImageImageImageImage
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS