Waterproof Boots

Got questions? We got answers....
JoeR

Waterproof Boots

Post by JoeR »

I've been riding with steel toe boots, which is less than ideal safety-wise, but I like everything else about them. They're cheap, waterproof, flexible and easily found. It's time to switch to a safer boot. I would really like them to be as waterproof as possible. I spend way too much time in the mud/water to get a leaky boot. Because I have a 38 in inseam, having a flexible ankle is pretty important if I'm ever going to shift it or hit the rear brake. I'd also like to have a nice traction sole.
I've read a bunch of boot posts on this website. I learned an awful lot, but I'd still like input for the group. What do you recommend? I'd like to keep it in the $200.00-$300.00 range.
Please let me know what you think.

Joe
'01 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

years ago if I had not been wearing M/C boots I'd be minus one leg from the shin on down

I wear cheap ARC boots, they have nicer soles than most spendy boots

And I wear Rocky Gore Tex Socks, they the cats ass!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

If I know that I will be going through water I will put plastic grocery bags over my feet before putting my boots on. I know it is ghetto but keep in mnd I have lived in a mobile home community before. :shh: Then duct tape the tops to seal.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You can get fine boots in that $ range.
I've got a pair of Berkes(?) I traded another pair for. They feel good.

Cheaper boots seem to take longer to break in. Just have to be patient and put up with it.

I don't know about the waterproof concept. Maybe water resistant. I've had them slowly fill with water and have to stop, take 'em off, and drain.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wouldn't believe any boot that was advertised as waterproof. Well, outside of waders or irrigation boots.

I had some Alpinestar M6s for a few years. I got them primarily because I could get them with a lug sole. Good traction...leaked like a seive. I had wet feet if I got within sight of water.

My Tech8s have worked very well water-wise until wear (several years old) compromised parts of the upper boot that bend/crease a LOT. Having a slip sole they aren't diddle for traction. I have been standing in water up to my knees and have come out with dry foots.

Comfort? Great. I like the bootie idea of the Tech8s. I wear 'em all day..even after riding sitting 'round a campfire.

Neither of those comments relate particularly to what you asked. I realize that. DO stay away from the Alpinestar '6' series. They are awful!

As noted..duct tape over the tops helps considerably when shipping water over the boot tops is going to happen.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.
CC, I'm glad you mentioned that the Tech6s leaked badly. I was definitely considering them. I think the Tech8s will be too stiff for me to shift in. Gaerne makes a new Dual Sport/ATV boot called the Explorer boot. Anyone try them out yet? They look nice...but that doesn't count for much.
Joe
'01 KDX200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I concour that the Tech 6's leak like crazy. I love them! Means they breath like crazy too. My feet sweat and these boots help with that. But, you are looking for the dryest boot, not a boot that allows your feet to breath. I don't have a recommendation for a specific boot, but, I see you are concerned with cost. Once you find the brand/model of boot you want to buy, don't forget to check out eBAy. I got my Tech 6's with 3 rides on them for $50 plus $12 shipping. Almost brand new.
Good luck in your search.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Tech8s are not 'too stiff' for anything, imo. Wear them when you mow the lawn, walk around the block a few times..they break in just fine.

Granted...I've heard the complaint that 8s are stiff more than once. If you take them out of the box and go riding...I'm sure they would be.

USE 'em some first! A leather care product would be a good place to start (nice, clean, dry boots). Buffalo butter, boot polish, saddle soap, even spraying them down with CampDry would be a place to start.

Consider the source

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I have a pair of 661 Hurricane Boots. Basically a SIDI Crossfire. Hit water, Stepped in Water, Feet & Bootie NICE & DRY
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

CC, do you wear your Tech8s when using a push mower, or a rider? I just trying to get a mental picture... :-)
Thanks for clarifying that they do break in with use. My worry is that being 6'6, it's tough to fit on any motorcycle. I'm always cramped on anything I ride. If people of a normal height are complaining about a boot being too stiff, I'm going to avoid them because I suspect I'll never get the flexability I need to hit the levers.

GH, Thr Hurricane boots look cool. They're a little more money than i want to spend, but so is everything. How is the fit on yours? Do they run big/small on sizing?

Ski-Pro, thanks for the ebay tip. I've been checking it out.

Joe
'01 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Push mower...with a motor. Not a push reel.

They are (can be) plenty flexible. Besides, the taller you are, the more leverage you have against a boot..a boot that is getting smaller comparatively the taller you get.

Maybe a reality check fits here. You mention 'flexibility to hit the levers'. I don't keep my instep on the pegs and move my ankle for either lever, I move my foot. Sounds that it would be more disruptive than ankle movement, but that is not the case in the real world. IF the 'flexibility' idea includes a stationary foot pivoting on a peg..I don't know of any boot that's worth anything protection-wise that would work.

I first thought the Tech8 bottom buckle being 'backwards' was strange. It fastens across the top of your foot..not on the side. Turns out to be a great idea. There is no buckle to hang up on anything..and I've seen other boots broken at that spot JUST because the buckle was exposed.

Consider the source

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

They go to size 13. Gardene??may go larger. I wear a size 11 shoe & ordered the size 11 Hurricane & with the bootie...NO PROBLEM-Not tight
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Some pro's soak their new boots in water, then walk around in them to break them in. Yikes.

I've had my best luck with making sure that regardless of brand, the sealing lining behind the front/buckles is high/heavy enough to keep water out. I also use boot wax to keep them sealed, it seems to work better than oils.

I once used "enduro" boots with traction soles, but had problems with the knobs catching on the pegs when trying to reposition my feet during riding.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
urnuts

Wet and water

Post by urnuts »

I got soaked last year- late in the season when it was cold- that really sucked; my feet were freezing
Anyway, look into a pair of OVER the boot pants. I just got a pair- different brands, but I got KLIM. I haven't used them yet, but several other riders told me they keep a LOT of the water out of your boots.
Another option (cheaper) is a pair of gaitors- you can get them very cheap.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I changed my mind. Tech8s leak like they're full of holes..and over the boot pants don't help fer squat.

PROOF!

:wink:

Consider the source

urnuts

Boots

Post by urnuts »

You may be right.
I sort of figured that if you could keep all the slop; mud, water, etc off the buckles and such you'd be ahead of the game.
Anybody ever run a bead of silicone around the sole?
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

My Tech3's leak. I never expected them to be waterproof, so no big deal. I have to be in a LOT of water for my feet to get wet, though.

They were only $169 but are great boots. If you are going from work type boots to MX boots you are just going to have to get used to the change, but you will get used to it and then never give it a second thought. I did my first few rides in works boots. Since then my feet have slammed some rocks and roots that probably would have broken something in the work boots.

A guy I know used to ride with a pair of lace-up type work boots. The last time he wore them he hit something with his foot and it ripped the bottom off of the boot. His socked foot was left totally exposed. He's lucky it didn't rip his dang foot off.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I don't know if you looked at the video or not. Over the boot pants DO help in keeping your feet dry. They also help in getting hung up on stuff..including footpegs, but that's a different issue.

My point was...sometimes it won't matter which pant or which boot you're wearing.

The PROOF in the above post is a link to a video...to be clear about what I'm sayin'.

I put a bead of shoe-goop over the clips on front..keeps them from getting ripped to some extent. I've NOT run a bead at the sole..my boots don't leak there. It's the buckles, seams and flaps that drink water.

Consider the source

JoeR

Post by JoeR »

My quest for a good pair of boots continues. I visited a bunch of dealerships with the intention of laying my eyes on a few different boot brands, and trying a few on. It hasn't worked out. I visited 5 places in just one day. Only a couple of places had boots in my size. Most dealerships only carried Thor Quadrants. I tried them on, but they pinched the crap out of my ankle. I'd sooner stick with work boots than wear them. I nearly picked up a set of SIDIs from a guy on the TT forum, but after figuring out that I don't fit in Euro 46s, I had to pass on them. I am now reluctant to spend any money on a boot that I can't try on. When I was looking for an MX stlye helmet, I tried on about 10 different brands without finding the one I really liked. I put on a Polaris ATV Helmet and found one I absolutely loved. I wish I could find a variety of boots that would allow me to do the same thing. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I spend a lot of time on my bike, and I'm not going to do it in gear that doesn't work for me.
Does anyone know of any place on the entire East Coast that actually carries boots in stock? I can tell you that there's not any place near Syracuse, NY that does. I have a travel job, so if you know of a place east of the Mississippi, there's a pretty good chance I'll be near it before too long.
Joe
'01 KDX200
urnuts

If you are ever in NH

Post by urnuts »

Freedom Cycle in Concord, NH has a very good selection of boots- lots of sizes, etc.