Whats every ones jetting and altitude? 220 and 200?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220PILOT

Whats every ones jetting and altitude? 220 and 200?

Post by KDX220PILOT »

I jet removed the airbox lid today with full FMF Knarly and Wiseco piston 2000 KDX 220. Started rich and worked my way back, plugs burning bronze colored, nice and crisp all the way to topend. :supz:

Final jetting

40 pilot
160 main
Stock needle, second clip position down from top
Airscrew, 2 1/4 turns out
At dead sealevel, east coast, 74 degree temp.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

'92 200

RB'd - 148, 40 DEK clip #3

Summer or Winter - 900' on up
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

A 160 main on a 220 sounds really big. Did you really mean 160MJ?

I believe stock is a 145. What did you have in there before?

By contrast, before I went with the RB mods I was at a 142 or 140 MJ and a 38 or 40 PJ.

FTR currently running a 148MJ, 38PJ, CEK @#4 in an RB-modded carb
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:A 160 main on a 220 sounds really big. Did you really mean 160MJ?

I believe stock is a 145. What did you have in there before?

By contrast, before I went with the RB mods I was at a 142 or 140 MJ and a 38 or 40 PJ.

FTR currently running a 148MJ, 38PJ, CEK @#4 in an RB-modded carb
With the lid on it had a 145, I removed the airbox lid, and tryed a 158 and found it to work best with the 160 main, needle on the second clip down. I have also found in the past that with a Wiseco piston you can run a larger main jet than with stock piston, I just keep testing and tuning until its as close to perfect as I can get, plug testing and alot of knowing just how the motor sounds when its right, I spent about 3 hours yesterday testing all diffrent carb settings until I settled on this one, Its pulling super strong, feels more like my old KX 250 than a KDX. :partyman:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Here we go....

I have to ask.

First this: 'plugs burning bronze colored...'

Then this: 'I just keep testing and tuning until its as close to perfect as I can get.'

Given that the color of the insulator means pretty much nothing in regard to air/fuel mixture..what is the relationship between the two statements?

What about a Wiseco piston calls for a larger main jet?

Jet-by-mail doesn't work too well, but a 160 main (that works) in a 220 is strongly indicative of a leak somewhere. When you are SIX jet sizes over what is an already too-rich OEM setup, bells gotta be clanging up a storm!

That said...if you're happy with it...that makes two of us! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Here we go....

I have to ask.

First this: 'plugs burning bronze colored...'

Then this: 'I just keep testing and tuning until its as close to perfect as I can get.'

Given that the color of the insulator means pretty much nothing in regard to air/fuel mixture..what is the relationship between the two statements?

What about a Wiseco piston calls for a larger main jet?

Jet-by-mail doesn't work too well, but a 160 main (that works) in a 220 is strongly indicative of a leak somewhere. When you are SIX jet sizes over what is an already too-rich OEM setup, bells gotta be clanging up a storm!

That said...if you're happy with it...that makes two of us! :wink:
Did you acknowledge, (REMOVED THE AIRBOX LID) there is now a ton of air flowing into my carb, I have been jetting dirtbikes for around 15 years, when a plug burns snow white, its a bit lean and I do know that the insulater around the inside edge is were to read a plug, I did not say that a wiseco calls for a larger main, I said that from my experience having installed a dozen or so have found that a larger main works better, How do you explain this, The last yamaha blaster quad I jetted with airbox lid off and full fmf, I went from a 230 main to a 330 main, which in mikuni carbs is 10 sizes bigger main putting the motor at a solid 8 hp higher at the rear wheels and very crisp in every gear with proper compression. The kdx is absolutely trenching up dirt and grass every time I nail the throttle, I am very familier with two strokes, I know the bike only has less than 300 total miles on it and the new piston has only around 15 miles on it and nothing is leaking. The crankcas oil looks like new every time I change it, I change it after every second weekend, not needing to. uni Air filter is cleaned and re-oiled after each days ride. I have noticed you are always the first to bash, we are all on here for the same reason we like to ride and corespond about riding, have a nice day. :mrgreen:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I have also found in the past that with a Wiseco piston you can run a larger main jet than with stock piston
not to put oil on the fire but hein? Why would a different piston change the jetting? Better compression cuz of new rings maybe? Just don't quite understand the reasoning behind that, there has to be a rational explaination. Just curious
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

I dont see where a 160 is to high when jeff fredette recommends a 155 to 160 main after new pipe install, and about the piston, my only guess would be shape of the piston and squish tollerances, possibly thicker crown ? Psi is at 150.
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

I am also mixing 110 race fuel with 93 octane, 50/50. Just saying what my setup is and didnt want to start an "I know more than you thread," its what I got and it works great for me, The bike is litterally in mint condition and I wouldnt own it if my jetting couldnt be spot on. Here on the east coast at sealevel I have always had to jet much richer than what all are apparently used to.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

[FLAME=ON]

I'll be nice to you...and not rip your head off. How about that?

Let us start with a major error.
you wrote: ..jeff fredette recommends a 155 to 160 main after new pipe install..
Let us now go to Fredette's website, where we find:
FRP wrote:After making this modification you may need to replace the stock jetting with a 45-48 PILOT JET and a 155-160 MAIN JET.
OK. Those words are said.

BUT WHAT DO THEY APPLY TO???

Just above those words we read:
FRP summore wrote:I would recommend that you SEND us your cylinder so we can work our magic on its ports. This modification will provide even greater performance throughout the power band with more revs at the top.
So...the jetting recommendation immediately follows the sentence about his porting work.

Let us put the two together, OK?
FRP again wrote:I would recommend that you SEND us your cylinder so we can work our magic on its ports. This modification will provide even greater performance throughout the power band with more revs at the top. After making this modification you may need to replace the stock jetting with a 45-48 PILOT JET and a 155-160 MAIN JET.
My apologies having missed the point that your cylinder has been ported. :hmm: Oh..wait! I didn't miss it at all 'cuz it's NOT THERE!

Let us further explore the vagaries and (some of the) errors stated.

What is the heading of what Fredette is writing about?
FRP yet again wrote:1995-2006 "H" Models:
NOW let us mouse on over to the Kawasaki website and look up, oh...say a 2000 KDX220.
Kawasaki wrote:KDX220-A7 (KDX220R) (2000)
:shock: Do they mean the 220 is NOT AN "H" MODEL??? It appears to be referred to as an "A" model. Could it be NOT the same as the 200? Ask yourself: "Self? WHEN did Kawasaki start making the 220? BEFORE the 200? Maybe the alpha designations do not match because the bikes have NOT been concurrently manufactured since inception?"

Just a thought.

You wrote:How do you explain this, The last yamaha blaster quad I jetted with airbox lid off and full fmf, I went from a 230 main to a 330 main...
I would not presume to explain the number of jet..but considering your question to be of a general nature, the reason jet sizes commonly get bigger when restrictions in the intake airflow are decreased is because of a reduced pressure differential.

Carburetors do not suck fuel. Atmospheric pressure PUSHES fuel from the fuel bowl (subject to atmospheric pressure) to the venturi of the carb, a region of reduced pressure. Reduced restriction leads to a reduced pressure differential. A larger jet size will flow fuel 'easier', that 'easier' flow resolves the reduced signal (pressure differential change) at the jet block.

I may be wrong about a lot of things from time to time. Hell...I may be wrong about all this...but I don't care. There are MAJOR errors in assumption on your part that need fixin', the above are a few.
I wrote:That said...if you're happy with it...that makes two of us!
Sounds good to me.

[FLAME=OFF]

Oh...to answer your question in the first place (which I didn't. Apologies for that), I'm running DEK-4/150/40/TV7 in a modified 35mm PWK Air Striker.

...In an "H6!"

Cheers!

KOOM-BAI-YA.....OOooommmmmmmmmmm...Serenity now. Serenity now...

Consider the source

KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

"WOW, guess ive just been owned!! The great postmaster has spoken, pay no attention to the man standing over there behind that curtain!!! Aside from totally highjacking a thread of which was a mear attempt to gain further knowledge of general location, workable jetting specs and altitudes, to quite possible help someone who has questions of such thing and are hesitant to post because of people like you, as I have found from lots of your past threads you have proven yourself a know it all asshole, (Ooppss, :butthead: :oops: did I say that!) I mean smart guy.
Why cant you just let someone have a thread were your needless input has not totally tryed to discredit, ruin and humiliate someone, you have a lot to learn fella. So go ahead and redeam yourself, I know you have something else smart to say.........
Last edited by KDX220PILOT on 07:42 pm Apr 21 2008, edited 1 time in total.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:blink:
you may not like CC style, but I wouldn't say
needless input
I found that (most of the time :mrgreen: ) he DOES ask pertinent and relevant question that clarifies post and help figure out the situation.
you may not like the critic or dry comment but he's only trying to help...

My .00002
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I like the mr know it all :lol:
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

All I was askin was what everyones jetting specs were!! He applied a question to a question And then he proceeded to pull me apart, I have absolutely no intrest in any of his input, its clear what I think he is, and its people like him who close down forums when anyone who comes on and asks a few questions mr IQ has to try and make you look stupid. So he may be a little more technical than I am, who cares, I know exactly what I'm doing and he is no one I have to prove anything to... In fact I would love to meet his ass someday I'd punch his f!@#$%^G teeth down his throat the first time he pulled out some of that know it all ****. :twisted: Theres always one on every forum.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

SO... ANYWAY......

I don't understand the very large main either. I don't know if it's a symptom of some other underlying issue or what. All I know is that it doesn't sound right to me since a 200 with a 35mm carb would run like a pig with a 160 in it.

Something isn't adding up here.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Jet-by-mail doesn't work too well, :shock:

That sounds like a familiar thread :partyman:

160 main in my 200 ran for about 15 minutes at a time until
I put in the next plug.

150/42 DEK 4 on a PWK RB moded air stryker yea haw
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

A word of advice.... You don't have to like CC, cuz I'm not so sure if I do, but I wouldn't exactly discourage his advice, becuase the man knows his sh1t, to be perfectly honest.

And as it stands, 160MJ is way off, it's rich even on a 200.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

05 200
RB moded carb and head
CEK needle, 3rd clip from top
pilot: 45
main: 155
high octane pump gas 1:40 motul 800
(running a bit rich)
elevation 1300 ft
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
KDX220PILOT wrote:All I was askin was what everyones jetting specs were!!

I know exactly what I'm doing

Theres always one on every forum.
In order presented:
1. And he gave his.

2. You do not know what you are doing when it comes to jetting this bike. If it runs good on that jetting it's because you have a serious air leak somewhere other than just the lid removed.

3. Yes, there is. Thanks for demonstrating that.

Now, I'm going to suggest you just re-read the reply CC gave you; taking it all to heart. He tried to keep you from grenading your engine.

You really need to rethink a threat like you made to knock his teeth down his throat. Maybe you over reacted just a little?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

you have proven yourself a know it all asshole
If you figure it to be a duck 'cuz you reckon it to walk like a duck..and your perception is it quacks like a duck...then you might as well call it a ****..er...duck.

:wink:

Now then, Donald, there was no 'making you look stupid' on my part. I merely provided the facts (verbatim snippets from websites YOU noted as your source of information) to substantiate the look you had already given of yourself. Others had tried to make the same point, your response was to either ignore them...or get on a high horse about it.

BTW...what said was incorrect? :hmm: I like being wrong. It's a good way to learn things. So...point out the errors, and I will certainly stand corrected. I will extract myself a nice cappuccino into one of my favorite cups..and anxiously await your learned retort.

Salute!

Consider the source