Top End Rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
kicknrocks

Top End Rebuild

Post by kicknrocks »

So I spent this beautiful day scrubbing her clean then tearing her apart, with the intent of sending the carb and head off to RB.

Then figured, I've got it this far, and everyone says "do the piston." Fair enough.

First question: my piston and all the guts are super clean, bit of carbon up top, big triangular recesses in each side by the wrist pin. Is this a stock piston? If so, I assume my '01 has hardly been ridden.

Second question: So long as I'm at it, should I bore up some? The price difference is negligible, and the work to get to it is the main investment.

If so, how much?

If not, should I hone myself?

If I hone myself, I assume the entire KIPS must come off (logic dictates that I don't want my slurry in there). Are there any secrets in there?

You guys saved my butt when I was about to start cranking on that KIPS drive shaft, then thought to myself "self, isn't there a flat spot hidden under that boot?" Then again when lefty wasn't loosy.

Thanks. You guys are my heroes!

How do I include photos (the image button just miakes indescernible gibberish text)?[/img]
Last edited by kicknrocks on 09:33 pm Apr 20 2008, edited 1 time in total.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if you have a 220, mske sure you're not running the stock grenade. My guess is the easiest way would be to remove the cylinder and check it out to be 100% sure.
Bore? yes you can, is it worth it if your cylinder isn't damaged? Not to me (I'm not made of money :evil: )
I believe 225 works well, there might be bigger that are also reliable but can't remember.
Honing? Don't think you need to, when putting a new piston, the "scotchbrite method is usually used. do a search, it's been discussed many times.

Pics? host them in the gallery or photobucket. right clic on the pic, properties, copy the address. paste, highlight and clic img
Done.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Unless you send it off to a professional engine builder to modify with specific directions (meaning you know exactly what you want), leave the cylinder alone unless the plating is flaking off or something. Otherwise, with a good cylinder you can touch up the cylinder with a Scotchbrite pad (go easy) just to break up glazing . . . nothing else is needed, I wouldn't hone anything.

More importantly, it sounds like you have the stock piston - replace it even if it looks clean.

Using a service manual (the online version is pretty good), remove the KIPS assy for cleaning.

Keep asking questions and you'll keep learning :grin:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

I have a drill mount cylinder hone which will give me the nice crosshatch that is (I believe) the best surface to break a new piston in on.

Still not clear on whether or not to bore up. This would be primarily for a bit of extra juice, not to straighten out any scores or imperfections.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

is it a ball hone?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

C:UsersforrestrohdePictures2008-04-20

yeah, that didn't work
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

dude, if you want your balls honed you're asking the wrong cat.

however, if you can teach me how to upload my pictures, we might could work out a trade.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

this is a ball hone dude Image
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

dude, if you want your balls honed you're asking the wrong cat.

however, if you can teach me how to upload my pictures, we might could work out a trade.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5637

NO trade necessary :mrgreen:
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

I always wondered where the name "wibbens" came from . . .

you should see a doctor about that. It looks itchy.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

dude, yoiu just had me totally dorking out on photobucket for way too long. Additionally, now I want a purple fuel tank.

just in case y'all didn't know what this looks like when it's way ahead of you:Image

and what it looks like from the other side when it's way ahead of you:[/img]Image

and is this a stock piston?Image

and is this an indication of how little time this bike has on it?[/img]Image

Cheers to ball hones!
To bore or not to bore?
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Yes, that is the stock piston - don't put it back in there. Time for a Wiseco.

The buildup on the crown is an indication of rich jetting IMO.

The bore of your cylinder has an "electrofusion" coating; hone it and risk damage, you just don't need to do that.

It's not the kind of cylinder that you remove some material and move up to the next piston size.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
kicknrocks wrote:I always wondered where the name "wibbens" came from . . .

you should see a doctor about that. It looks itchy.
dude, if you want your balls honed you're asking the wrong cat
I feel unsafe.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

Funny, I was just getting creeped out by your avatar.

Firefighter humor isn't well received most places.

Truce.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The price difference is negligible
Actually, the price difference is vast. You don't need to do anything to the cylinder except go over it with some scotch-brite. Then add new wiseco piston. To "Bore up" will entail machining out the plating, and then it will need re-plated ($$$). Ron will have your head and carb back beofre you get your wiseco.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why it's an OEM piston: Besides the fact that it looks like a Pro-X..it's got an 'A' stamped on it. Pro-X is the only piston that comes in 'sizes' grouped by alpha designations. Your head and cylinder will have similar markings. Diff 'tween alphas is .01mm...less than 1/2 of one thousandth of an inch.

Dude!...Pro-lites (Wiseco) are NOT grouped that way. You get a 69mm piston..period. Wiseco's DO come in overbore sizes. Do not confuse that with Pro-X alpha groupings. .5mm ain't the same as .01mm. The former (in overbore sizes) will require boring and replating (as stated..vast $$), the latter don't.

Get rid of the Pro-X.

BTW...'overbores' in 220's generally go to 240. The 200 goes to 225. From EG's shop anyway.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

the 69 mm wiseco is on the way, and my carb and head shipped out today. Scotchbrite it is. That ball hone still freaks me out.

Picked up a factory manual on ebay for 15 bucks.

Anything scary lurking in the KIPS assembly? everything I've seen so far looks pretty straightforward, but I haven't fully disassembled it yet.

I really appreciate that they mark the splines for realignment.

Headed out of town for a week, so there should be all sorts of goodies here for me when I return. Stoked!

I'm certain the manual will outline this for me, but what kind of gasket gook do I want on the bottom of the jug? Whatever was on it was silver.

Cheers
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

kind of gasket gook
:shock: NO
Use a new gasket, can get a kit from moose and some other can't recall. they're pretty cheap, cheaper than a total engine :wink:
Beside suporting the kips shaft on removal and re assembly, pretty straight forward with the manual.
I broke the last tooth on that when I tried to clean the kips :mad: , so watch out. (not a very patient man sumtimes... :roll: )
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

For Mr. Kick N Rocks..

That tooth gets busted when unwrenching the pictured nut..putting pressure on that tooth against the rod...btw.

However scary (or not) the KIPS is, DO check the timing of the subvalves before you put it all together. Look into the exhaust port, manually activate the KIPS, observe everything to be moving correctly.

If you have a calibrated torque elbow, fine. If you don't, either buy (MotionPro has one) or make a wrench that will get the cylinder properly torqued.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

the only KIPS cover I haven't pulled off is the one on the front. I'm guessing that there is a flat spot somewhere to support the shaft that runs through the front of the engine (left side pictured above with broken tooth). Broken gear teeth aren't the status quo, are they?

Don't have the manual yet, hence my inquisition.

I did notice a dab of grease inside that silver dollar cap, but the gears on both sides are dry. Should I dab some grease?

I've seen the torque adapter (sort of a double boxed end wrench with a spot for your torque wrench in the middle). I'll check out motionpro also. Definitely not a well calibrated elbow (ping! S*#T)
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods