Fork Spring Question

Got questions? We got answers....
N8Strine

Fork Spring Question

Post by N8Strine »

I know this isnt the right forum for this but I can't seem to get any answers in the suspension forum. I want to know what spring rate people are running in there KX forks for offroad use. I want to know wether to go with .40kg or .42kg Race tech is saying that for my weight (165lbs) I should go with a .418kg which would be the .42kg spring. I had .38 in my kdx forks and thought they worked good just a tad too soft, so should I go with the .40kgs?? or can you run one .40 in one side and .42 in the other side to even it out to .41??
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I weight the same and got the stock spring on my 01 kx 125. I think most also run stock. just modded the base valve, works fine for me.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

You should not run different spring rates in each fork because it will cause handling problems - try changing the preload spacer lengths so each side will be different and you'll see what I mean.

My own experience with the race tech rate chart is that they are a little on the high side for off-road use, especially the kind of technical off-road stuff that is most likely what a KDX will be used for.
I use KX forks on my bike, I'm 165 w/o gear and the 40's are perfect for me. My KX had 42's and they were too stiff for slower rougher off-road use.

BTW, KX125's have run from 38's (96) to 40's to 42's in the latest models.
You probably know this, but the stiffness you feel is a combination of both damping and spring resistance, so you have some wriggle-room.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:
My own experience with the race tech rate chart is that they are a little on the high side for off-road use, especially the kind of technical off-road stuff that is most likely what a KDX will be used for.
I always read that here and at that crappy okie site, and followed that advice and my bike handled like crap

I finally went with race tech's recommendations and my bike finally handles more to my liking
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:
I always read that here and at that crappy okie site, and followed that advice and my bike handled like crap

I finally went with race tech's recommendations and my bike finally handles more to my liking
Hey different strokes....but what recommendation did you take?

Race Tech used to provide a more comprehensive rate chart which allowed for rider skill level, whether use was for off-road/enduro or MX and so on. Last time I checked they only gave the MX rate (but I haven't checked the site in a while).
What works for MX usually is too stiff for off-road/enduro work. Most mid-sized off-road bikes, such as the CRF250X, I used to own, come stock with 40's.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I tried 42's they did not feel any better than the stockers

I'm running 46's now and its like a totally different animal

Race Tech says to use whatevers available, closest to .50's for my weight

46 is as big as they stock for the KDX

I guess 50's might be a bit much though
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm running RaceTech .39s in my '99 KX250 front end. I'm 175# RaceTech says the '99 came with progressives. That's not what was in them when I got 'em. The forks HAD been revalved..the valve wasn't OEM.

Preload spacers? Are you using a short spring for some reason?

I realize RaceTech doesn't list .39s for that fork spring series..and I didn't test the springs I bought. The box said RaceTech .39s, that's how they were advertised..and we all know that means it must be true. Ebay never lies...right?

Seems the springs I got were spec'd for a CR......

IMO and all...but I wouldn't want .42s @ 165#.

Good fortune to 'ya!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

Yea I ordered the .40's kg I will let you know how they are in a week or two.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Mr. Wibbens wrote: I always read that here and at that crappy okie site,

Okie site???? What site is that?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I believe it's DRN (god I hope I don't get banned for naming that "other" site :? )
Went there a few times :oops: just to make my own opinion ... well let's just say I don't go there no more! :lol: Lots of anger overthere, must be cuz they can't ride, don't know squat about dirt bikes and probably can't get laid!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I believe it's DRN (god I hope I don't get banned for naming that "other" site :? )
Went there a few times :oops: just to make my own opinion ... well let's just say I don't go there no more! :lol: Lots of anger overthere, must be cuz they can't ride, don't know squat about dirt bikes and probably can't get laid!
Just remember that everybody is entitled to their own (wrong) opinion. Just like the song says "...you can speak your mind, But not on my time..."
:mrgreen: Its just great that everybody here shares the same (right) opinions... :partyman: :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Its just great that everybody here shares the same (right) opinions...
'zactly! :partyman:
(BTW WE know it all anyway :lol: )

edit: or is it just one person? :hmm:
Last edited by scheckaet on 10:20 am Apr 23 2008, edited 1 time in total.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Is the owner of the site from OK or something? I'm trying to figure out the Okie connection. I know there used to be a kxrider.com site and that guy was from OK.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Whois says kdxrider.com is available. Okie is one of the SUPERmods..maybe the proprieter of at least part of DRN...where Dave Otteson's 'Canadian Dave' forum (JustKDX) was. Okie is the guys name...or nickname..although I do think he's in Oklahoma.

It used to be a good, informational site with intelligent useful information available from contributors that knew their stuff. It devolved into the nether-regions of crap with a lot of losers asking questions as:
..when you say a leak at your crank shaft, do you mean where the cylinder meets the block? Or were exactly could the crank shaft be leaking?
Yes. That is a quote...from someone professing expert knowledge of engines!!

Thanks to their (DRN) insufferable steenking attitudes...KDXRider.net was born. Now we all get to ride in-the-woods in harmony and much happiness!!

Re: '(BTW WE know it all anyway )

edit: or is it just one person?

Don't harsh my groove!!

Consider the source

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Thanks to their (DRN) insufferable steenking attitudes...KDXRider.net was born
And I am so glad it did :supz: So some good can come out of a bad deal
(life gives you lemons, make lemonade! and if you have some tequila, you'll have somethin even better MARGARITA :partyman: )
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

kxrider.com suddenly vanished one day. I was hoping for it to turn into a good source for KX65 info. Most of the guys on it were into KX500's.

I have been on DRN a couple times (via google) but like you said the info there was pretty un-informative.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

[/hijack]

Apologies to N8.....

Back to springs....

You ordered them from RaceTech?

Unasked and probably unwarranted...but....
You've had your USDs apart before?

Watch that o-ring..and the specified length/distance the rod is threaded to.

Consider the source

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Lo siento.

My '03 KX forks have the stock springs, or at least I think they are stock. They are what came in it when I bought them off you know where. I have friends with Honda CRF's and my springs seems softer than theirs.

I did my first fork rebuild (seals and bushings) this past weekend and it was really easy. There is a rockymountainmc video on youtube that shows you how.

Back to my springs, assuming they are stock, I like them a lot whatever they are. They are nice and plush. I don't get much air. I like them soft so they soak up all the rocks and ruts. I'm a big guy and don't bottom out much (of course I don't do double jumps either).
N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

Yup Race Tech, $95 nope havent had them apart yet. But my friend will be doing them for me. Yes I will watch out for those things.