What I learned replacing the axel cap stub bolt

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

What I learned replacing the axel cap stub bolt

Post by Mark W »

I went out searching for information on what to replace the axel cap stub bolt with and came across the following;

1. The part number provided by someone here said at Ron Ayers it was part number 172G0622. When searching Ron Ayers, the description that comes up with that part number was 6 X 22 stud. I understood what the "6" part refers to but was unsure of the "22" referred to. I had assumed it was the numberof threads/inch.

2. I went to Ace Hardware (a good Ace Hardware store) and wandered over to the stud section. Found the size 6 stud tray and found various sized studs. They had different numbers after the "6". 6 X 22 and 6 X 31 were two of them. In the Ace store, the second number referred to the length of the stud in mm.

3. I bought the 6 X 31 stud as it was closest to the length of the one I was replacing. If it was 33 - 34 mm long, this would have been a closer fit to the stock stud.

Bought a couple of bolts to go with it and put it in last night with no problems whatsoever. I found out why the first one snapped, I had mis read the inch-pounds as ft-pounds. Oop's

So, should you ever need to replace the stud, I hope this helps. For what it is worth.

Mark
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey. Thanks for the info!

Watch out for inch-pounds and foot-pounds.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Jason wrote:
Watch out for inch-pounds and foot-pounds.
Yup, thats how I broke mine. :rolleyes:
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry...but my one brain cell doesn't get it.

So...it's not a 22mm long stud? I did wonder about that number...I did take it to be 'length' also, but 22mm certainly isn't long enough to thread into the fork, pass through the cap and still have room for threads for the nut.

Maybe 22mm is the length of part of the stud that sticks out after install? Funny way to measure something.

Thread pitch is going to be referenced something like '1.0' or 1.5' as in 'threads/mm'. For reasons I don't get..metric thread pitch changes with bolt size. Well, for 'coarse pitch' anyway. Again...more of what I don't get... in the fine pitch category, the pitch numbers stay pretty much the same.

Re: 'bought a couple of bolts...'

You mean nuts perchance? Some have used bolts in place of the studs. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. As fragile as aluminum threads are I would much rather thread something in (stud) and leave it there for awhile than tighten/loosen everytime I had to take the front wheel off. You don't want to be dealing with a stripped out fork leg! IMO and all.........

...back to your regular programming.....

Seriously...putting that kind of ft/lb torque on such a small diameter fastener? Oops.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I knew the guy that told me that it was a 22 was a goof. :razz: How did you ever come across 22 in the first place?

Pitch is pitch. SAE bolts/ nuts change too. Could you imagine tightening your rear axle with a 20mm x 1.0mm nut?! I think the 2.5mm or whatever it is pitch would be a little better. :razz:

I love metric! There are no fractions and it's decimals and whole numbers!

Great idea on stud vs. bolt! I'll have to remember that one.

See, you thought I was going to razz you again. I calmed down just before you had to smack me upside the head with a sturdy 50.8 x 101.6. :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The description on RonAyers website calls it a 6X22 stud. It doesn't say 22mm long...just has the number.

Like Mark said (up at the beginning there...at the top? :wink: ) the 22 referring to the length of the stud was an assumption.

I don't know what it refers to. ...just not the length.

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Where did you see / hear that it was whatever part number that you quoted some year(s) ago? I have never seen it in a parts diagram.

When I count to 3 you will be awake and refreshed... 1, 2, ASSEMBLY!!

Thanks,
Jason
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well, yeah. You answered your own question. ASSEMBLY it is.

Still, it's a PN that has been supposedly used by others. I haven't ordered one to see for myself that it works/fits. Others have...say they have anyway.

Now...I can't remember by own name 1/2 the time, but I do remember that 'Pursang' (I think) posted that number years ago.

Maybe this still works:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/postings.p ... tid=243803

..nope...

But, in answer to your question...where I got the info was the above (now dead) link.

Maybe they're all liars!

Now I gotta get one just to see what the hell it is!

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am going to work on my friend's '97 KDX220 this weekend. I'll get to see what all this hub-bub is all about.
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

canyncarvr wrote:The description on RonAyers website calls it a 6X22 stud. It doesn't say 22mm long...just has the number.

Like Mark said (up at the beginning there...at the top? :wink: ) the 22 referring to the length of the stud was an assumption.

I don't know what it refers to. ...just not the length.
The 6 refers to the major diameter of the thread and the 22 refers to the pitch of the thread.

*edit* The mystery is solved!! :supz:

Last edited by motorider200 on 04:25 pm Apr 06 2005, edited 1 time in total.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

They are $.59 on ronayers.com, so I will order one the next time I get some OEM parts. We'll know then. :grin:
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

I'll fess up boys, it's me Mark W is referring to. I saw a post on DRN last year I think that referenced the part no. for the stud (never checked it with a dealer though).

I wrote it down in my service manual hoping I wouldn't need it.

I always "double check the triple filter" (so to speak) and make sure about the ft-lbs vs. in-lbs thing.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No problem there! I still have a piece of a 6mm x 1mm tap in my '87 frame because back in the late '80's I thought you just chucked the tap in a drill and went to town. :supz:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think the 22 means length. Remember this is a Kawasaki part number, not exactly what the ISO standard is. I know the ISO standard is important, I am just refeering to the part number. They usually have flanged bolts as 132G0620, 132G0625, etc. and the last two numbers mean length. I am thinking the studs would be the same.
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Ok I understant what your saying now Jason. But here is a kicker, ron ayers lists the front cylinder base stud as 8x28.5. If the 28.5 is refering to the lengnth in mm that would mean it would be about 1.1 inches which is not right. Now I'm really confused :rolleyes:
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It may mean how far it sticks out of the hole. I looked on ronayers at a 2001 (any old H should do), to see which part number it showed... then I looked on http://www.buykawasaki.com for the same year, then looked at 1994 (which I own)... same part number. My cylinder is off, so I quickly measured the part sticking up and it was 27.5mm, so considering my quick measuring probably causing an error, I think it must mean how far it sticks out of the hole.

Does anyone think the fork studs would stick out 22mm? Remember I don't own a bike with '95 and up forks, so I can't check for myself.

I think motorider200 just saved me $.59! Thanks! :prayer:
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Your welcome jason. BTW your logic sounds about right.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think it is a good thing. We will know when to quit cranking it down into the hole. :grin:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Jason wrote:Does anyone think the fork studs would stick out 22mm? Remember I don't own a bike with '95 and up forks, so I can't check for myself.
My '96 KX125 forks have the exact same axle mounting as the stock KDX forks. My studs measure exactly 22mm sticking out of the fork leg. They are long but they need to go through that thick fork leg cap AND have a nut thread full on to them.
Anyways 22 mm for the (4 each side) studs sticking out of the fork legs.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!