float bowl overflowing

Got questions? We got answers....
kicknrocks

float bowl overflowing

Post by kicknrocks »

since I did my reeds last week the carb constantly drips out of the bowl overflow. Here's the freaky thing: turning the fuel off didn't stop it. could it leak for 36 hours on residual?

I assume that when I reassembled the slide, I had some debris (though I was extremely careful). Any other suggestions?
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
91kdx200

Post by 91kdx200 »

There could be some dirt or debris that got into the float valve which would make it stick open and slowly leak gas into the float bowl. When you turned off the fuel, it could have slowly dripped until the fuel line was empty.
1991 KDX200
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

>|<>QBB<
91kdx200 wrote:There could be some dirt or debris that got into the float valve which would make it stick open and slowly leak gas into the float bowl. When you turned off the fuel, it could have slowly dripped until the fuel line was empty.
+1
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The petcock on KDXs doesn't do too well at turning 'off'. If the lever is a hair 'off' from 'off'...it isn't....off I mean. To have much hope of working, the lever's got to be at 9 o'clock, not 9:01 or 8:59.

KDX's pee on a regular basis. Get your kickstand bent or worn so the bike is at more of an angle than it used to be..and it'll pee.

If your float valve is impeded in some way...it will leak until your TANK is empty..not until the fuel line is empty.

Although, to be exact..I guess if the tank was empty the fuel line would be, too, 'eh?

It helps to lower the float level a tad. Dropping it 2mm will not have a major effect otherwise (you will run a bit more lean, but most bikes run too rich anyway) and it will lessen the pee effect.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Make sure there is not any junk in the float or bowl that would make it stick. Then lower the float level 1 or 2mm. It shouldn't make the bike run any more lean though should it? If so, explain please.

Make sure the carby is put back on the bike level and not tilted when you reinstall it.

No bike should pee on the kick stand, thats just a problem with your carby....not a regular KDX problem. If it does, your float is set too high. I good crash or big hit can and will self-raise your float level over time.
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

so why would it begin to piss right after I did the reeds? I did tilt the carb slightly toward me to alleviate the cable rubbing on the frame cross member.

What could have changed with the float valve whilst doing the reeds? How do I access and recognize it?

Also bears mentioning that I'm sending my carb off to RB after my morning ride, so this knowledge is mostly for future reference.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

so why would it begin to piss right after I did the reeds? I did tilt the carb slightly toward me to alleviate the cable rubbing on the frame cross member.
You answered your own question, most likely.

You need a service manual. The carb is keyed to fit in the downstream boot..that's where it needs to be. Generally, that will put it tight to the inside of the bike.

This is a fact...no snottiness involved. Your reference to 'how do I access and recognize it' indicates you are not familiar with carb tuning to any extent. You must improve your knowledge of tuning to get any reasonable 'performance' out of your bike.

Spending a lot of money (dampers, carb modificatons) without a basic idea of tuning is likely a waste of a lot of money.

FWIW..you take the fuel bowl off..and there it is (the float). The manual describes the float set method. The valve that controls the fuel flow is activated by the float. You can see the end of it at the float tangs (on the upstream side).

Back to what got you here...consider what happens to a float device when it's crooked.

Again, KDXs pee. Several things can add up to it peeing WORSE than it 'did'. One of them is a crooked carb.

Line up that notch!

Consider the source

kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

I know, I know; I'm learning as fast as I can.

good info about the downstream boot. that simplifies things.

which manual would you recommend?
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Some like the online version (at the top of any forum page). I prefer paper pages I can write on, flip back and forth. Choose one. If you're referring to something like Clymer....I don't know there is one, and wouldn't get it if it existed. If you want paper..buy a manual from your dealer.

I s'pose that is available online, too. I haven't gone looking.

Re: running more lean

Yes. A lower float level runs more lean. A carb runs on pressure diffentials. There is less pressure in the carb venturi than on the fuel in the bowl, so fuel is pushed from the bowl through holes'n-things. The lower the level of fuel, the greater pressure differential is required to move it. Is it a huge deal? No. If someone happened to be jetted on the edge of lean..a float level change (drop) needs to be taken into account.

Next time you go to MickyD's, ask for one of their 110' long straws. Try it out on a nearby bridge..see how well it works. :wink:

Re: No bike should pee...

OK. But they do, and it's not always a carb problem. The ground the bike sits on..the tweak of the stand..other things(than the carb) contribute to KDX incontinence. While no bike should...the KDX often does.

Re: 'Make sure the carby is put back on the bike level and not tilted when you reinstall it. '

Good call!

Consider the source

kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

I asked for the straw and they said they were fresh out.

Maybe I'll try 110 feet of fallopian tube.

Can I clean my bike with prop wash?

I haven't had any luck finding manuals online (but for the electronic versions) and I'm a page flipping note taker like you.

I'll try the dealer.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Buykawasaki.com lists them. $60 (plus S&H of I don't know what), PN 99924-1181-10.

Manuals vary a good bit. Sometimes aftermarket publications are better..sometimes not. My Honda manual is a cross between the two..it is a Honda service manual published by some other outfit. Diagrams are lousy and every picture in it is basically a black smudge. Maybe 3rd party KDX manuals (if there are any..of the Clymer variety) are something worth looking into.

The Kaw KDX manual isn't too bad. There is still some of the 'failure to translate' sort of thing that may have you scratching your head from time to time.

You could well clean your bike with prop wash...but the towing process involved would be counterproductive. It may well be clean...but it wouldn't be running any time soon. I guess that would be a way to KEEP it clean! :wink:

There are some models you can use that will give you an idea of the length of shoreline you would need...exact placement from the source being important. Most model results consist of the velocity field generated by a vessel having a specified propeller size, rotation rate, thrust, and other geometric input parameters. Results are useful in determining to what extent vessel maneuvering is required to disturb/loosen/remove engine/frame sediments/deposits. Some models have been extensively verified with field measurements using Acoustic Doppler Current meters.

Seems all together too much bother to me.

Good luck!

Consider the source

kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

That's intense. No wonder you can figure out the intricacies of bikes.

I'll do some more digging on the manuals. I've been a skeptic of factory manuals ever since my yamaha snowmobile, which is literally 300 pages of indiscernible gibberish.

Will try Clymer.

At $60 for the factory, it seems like the electronic might be a good alternative.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

This is the only option I have found thus far, with the supplement for the 220s. No Clymer, No Haynes.

http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/2001/34/0/8728
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'indiscernible gibberish. '

That the 'failure to translate' I was referring to. Sometimes it's funny..sometimes it's just plain irritating.

The manual you note above IS the OEM service manual (you knew that). Considering the 'difference's between the 200/220...I wouldn't bother with the 'supplement'. What are they going to say...the piston is bigger?

I don't own a 220 though...so maybe take that point of view for every grain of salt it's worth.

Re: 'intense'

If you have the misfortune of reading other posts I've made that are similar, you will realize soon enough my penchant for making stuff up! :shock:

Well....or....completely misattributing factoids to otherwise unrelated happenstance.

No, I don't know what that means. Indiscernible gibberish I suppose.

Cheers!

Consider the source