FMF Pipe Applications?

Got questions? We got answers....
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

will do!

would you reccomend a good resource for guards? I seem to recall seeing some carbon guards somewhere.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Shop around for the Eline CF guard - it's $114 on MonkeyButt http://www.monkeybuttparts.com/pk4/store.pl?section=635
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Shop around for the Eline CF guard - it's $114 on MonkeyButt http://www.monkeybuttparts.com/pk4/store.pl?section=635
Eline quality has gone to crap inless you happen to get one of their old guards. Their quality control is WAY down since they moved their stuff to china. I've seen their new CF guards crack and break on minor impacts.

Contact Slaven's Racing and they will bend you a very nice aluminum guard to fit any bike. Flatland Racing will do the same if i remember right.....its one of the two, both sell the same guard.

Moose Heavy Duty guards are beefy too.
kicknrocks

The end of my pipe epic . . . or is it the beginning?

Post by kicknrocks »

Took my FMF Gnarly Desert out of the box and set it next to the stock pipe and they looked identical. I was pissed before I even spent the ten minutes it took to swap them.

Fired the bike, warmed it, started down the road, super rough from mid to high. Blood pressure starting to rise, I bore in mind that the bike always runs rough to the end of my road. Got to the bottom, hung the soft left, got on her and she started to go. Hung the first left for the long uphill to ridge rd and . . .wait a sec . . . holy s*#t what is that. Am I a kid on a 125 again?

Long story longer, this thing freakin screams. 1st through 3rd, cutting loose. One could say that it lost some bottom end, but it's tough to say since the RPMs never dropped below the brand new power band. first through third are gone and me with them.

This pipe freakin rips!! I wish it had been easier to get an answer to my question originally, but for those who don't know already, this pipe with no other mods will comletely transform your machine.

Tommorrow morning I'll go for a ride, then come home, tear off my carb and head, and send them off to RB. In a week all 170 lbs of me will be flapping like a flag behind my KDX with about 500 bucks into it.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Good stuff! That's the way I felt when I threw mine on - a 125 appeared up top!

Wait till ya jet it.... more will come out on top. I will agreee with the slight loss of bottom - I noticed it and confirmed it when I threw the stocker back on - more torque off idle.

The desert pipe will teach you a more agressive riding style too....
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

roger the aggression!!! :evil:

bottom end is nice but, in fifteen minutes of riding I found that any time it bogged I could bang it down one and it would already be in powerband RPMS.

I'm not really the type to crawl, though I might find terrain that will teach me different. I'm dying to try the Gnarly Woods, but probably many mods will come before a second pipe.

Cheers and thanks for everyones guidance! :supz:
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods