HELP!!! KDX won't idle

Got questions? We got answers....
fLyNbYu

HELP!!! KDX won't idle

Post by fLyNbYu »

2001 kdx220r RB head(pump gas) and carb mod, FMF pipe and S/A. It will idle perfectly for 10 minutes or so then once it's totally warmed up it'll go KAPUT!!! Anytime I pull the clutch in.....dead if I don't blip the throttle constantly. Musta kicked that KDX like a 50 times today, my leg feels like it's gonna fall off. I changed the plug, still died out, but started easier. The bike runs like a bat outta hell so I think the jetting is pretty close. I believe there a 38 pilot and 140 main at the moment. Can anybody help my poor leg?

Edit: Running 40:1 redline racing 2t oil
'01 KDX 220R
'01 XR650R SuperTerd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Idle it higher... Mine starts acting like that after an hour or so of riding and I have to idle it a little higher.

Pulling the clutch in should take more load off the motor so I don't know why it would die then.

Make sure your air filter is clean and oiled.
Last edited by Indawoods on 07:41 am Apr 13 2008, edited 2 times in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

As for your leg, kicking it won't fix it (oviously) so quit kicking the bike before you break something on yourself and can't ride it once you get it running right.

(I'll let the "experts" tell ya how to take care of the rest.) :wink:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
91kdx200

Post by 91kdx200 »

Anytime I pull the clutch in.....dead if I don't blip the throttle constantly
So does it only die when it is in gear w/ the clutch pulled in or does it also do it if you have it in neutral?
1991 KDX200
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Has your bike sat un-ridden for a while? If so, have you cleaned the carb lately?

What size pilot do you have?

What's the impact of adjusting the A/S, i.e. do you adjust this for optimal throttle response, etc?

Do you use/need the choke when starting cold?

Adjusting the idle higher will work (I had to run my idle a little higher) but if you have to adjust it a lot it points to a different problem.

If your bike idles fine while cold then doesn't want to idle when it's warmed (even with lots of idle screw adjustment) consider dropping the pilot one size (and adjust the A/S for best performance as described in another recent thread) to see what happens. If it helps with the idling you'll likely benefit with overall performance at lower throttle openings as well.

Keep us informed on your progress.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Try everything else first, but this could be a sign of a worn top-end. How much time is on it?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
fLyNbYu

Post by fLyNbYu »

Dies in neutral and in gear with the clutch pulled in and idle is turned all the way up. Uni air filter freshly cleaned and oiled.

Bike is ridden 1-2 times a week and I'm running a 38 pilot with the A/S adjusted for optimal throttle response. Already dropped the pilot from a 40 to the current 38 and choke is used to start the bike when cold.

As far as hours on the top-end, there are alot of hours on it. I should've kept better records ,but didn't. I want to say at least a year and half now since it's been done. When do you know it's time for a top end? What are some of the signs/symptoms?
'01 KDX 220R
'01 XR650R SuperTerd
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Not idling ;) Can do a compression check (warm motor). A worn top end will still pull decent in the mid-top although you'll be several HP shy of potential. Not saying for certain that's the problem, but it could be.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: Kicking yourself silly...

Been there. That's how I got around to an FRP kicker...bending the OEM lever over to the point of not being able to keep my foot on it.

It's most likely one of the two...engine condition (top-end) or jetting. Mine was jetting.

What is your plug gapped to?

You could have a galled idle screw...keeping it from raising the slide as much as it would if it wasn't goobered.

Re: 'When do you know...'

One symptom is what you're experiencing. You know now! :wink:

Besides, if it has an OEM piston in it, yesterday isn't soon enough to get rid of it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!