Boyesen Pro Reeds

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Boyesen Pro Reeds

Post by jc7622 »

I have seen lots of info on here about the Boyesen Power Reeds (#607) and the V Force reeds. Boyesen also makes a two piece "Pro" reed with a carbon top petal and fiberglass bottom petal. Does anyone have any experience with that one?
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

I just installed a pair as the first mod to my '01, with the exception of the air box lid. My first inclination was that it ran better with the stock reeds, just running up and down the road. After a little while it seemed to smooth out. Then I discovered a mysterious powerband under load on some rough hillclimbs. Bottom line, I think they smoothed out the throttle response. They are much cheaper than the RAD valve that I often see them compared to, though I can't cite the name of that product off-hand.

I'm also new to the bike.
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

RAD valves are junk... :wink: 607's rock...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

I'm going to take every opportunity to expose my ignorance. . .

607s?
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Boyesen Power Reeds (#607)

They go in your stock cage.... work very nicely.... about $30 or so...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

difference between the power and pro? other than twenty bucks
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

"Boyesen also makes a two piece "Pro" reed with a carbon top petal and fiberglass bottom petal."

I'd guess the difference to be just that. The 607's are one-piece. Thanks for the writeup on the "pro's!"
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I thought the 607's were also two-piece except both pieces were fiberglass. I have heard some people (here and at KTMtalk) give negative reports on the durability of the Boyesen CARBON petals on the Rad Valve and the Pro reeds. In comparison I have never heard anything negative about the 607's.

Did I just answer my own question? I was trying to gather as many testimonials as I could before deciding on what to buy - mainly was the $50 Pro's better than the $30 607's. And more importantly are the Boyesen carbon petals really problematic when it comes to durability or are the instances I have read about just freak occurances.

Everything I have read about the V-Force reeds has been good, but they are so friggin expensive.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Yeah I think you answered your own question - I bet your boss loves you :lol:

I've had the chance to "inspect" the 607s like twice since they've been in place, less than 2 years, and they don't look or feel or flex any different than I remember them when I put em in. I remember being happy with the 607s.

I've debated on the VF3s and the price does hold me back a bit too. I'll probably have to spring for them eventually before it drives me crazy wondering, maybe after that Guts Seat :grin:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

If you have good reeds now I would spend your money on something you might need more.
I have the VF3 and it works well but I don't remember seeing $130 bucks
worth of smiling.
kicknrocks

Post by kicknrocks »

I'm not speaking from experience here, but logic would dictate better longevity and integrity out of a carbon product than a comparable fiberglass product. Am I mistaken?
'01 KDX 220
Frisbee air box
RB Designs Carb
FMF Gnarly Woods
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
kicknrocks wrote:I'm not speaking from experience here, but logic would dictate better longevity and integrity out of a carbon product than a comparable fiberglass product. Am I mistaken?
In the case of Boyesen carbon reeds on their RadValve..yes. That would be mistaken. They absolutely sucketh most large.

Somewhat of a btw...but I've never bit on Boysen's 2-stage reed idea. That little bit of 'reed' under the top layer is actually going to open sometime? The surface area of the bottom reed is so small..I wonder that it does anything at all.

Guess I need to see some hi-speed camera footage from inside a reed cage.

If you don't like the cost of the MotoTassinari on the KDX...put 'em on a couple Banshees! That's at least 2X the fun!!

Probably another btw..but the original post mentions 'reeds', Inda mentions that 607s go on the OEM cage. To be clear..the VForce reeds are ON a VForce cage. No MT product of the VForce type fits on an OEM cage.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!