Greasing the swing arm

Got questions? We got answers....
cleoent

Greasing the swing arm

Post by cleoent »

Is there a write up somewhere? Rear end is starting to squeak i've never greased anything :oops: on the bike and i doubt the previous owner did. Is it a simple operation???

Bike is a low low hours bike, only on it's 2nd front, 3rd rear tire... so i doubt i'll have to replace anything.

Thanks!
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Pretty easy. remove rear wheel. Unbolt the swingarm. Pull out the bushings in the swingarm mountin points. Where it mounts to the frame and the linkage (the triangle thingy under the swingarm tha bolts to the shock)

The bushings are a long metal sleeve. Grab some grease and pack it in the hole wher ethe sleeve was(it is full of needle bearings) then carfully slide the sleeve back in teh greased hole full of nedle bearings and bolt it up.

the needls bearings may fall out if it is dry. No biggie, just put grease in there and line them back up. Grease holds them inplace until you put the bushing back in.

There is a strong possibility the bearings are shot though.

Grease once a year and avoid splaching in water and mud unless you plan on regreasing the bike before you ride it again.

Bearings with the sleeve removed looks like this (inside part, the outside is mounted in the swingarm and linkage).

Good luck!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

You need to remove the swingarm, disassemble the linkage, and remove the shock. I press all my bearings out so I can clean them in solvent and then regrease and install them, but I assume a lot of people leave them in place and work around the parts.

I assume you have a manual that so you know the torque specs and clearance for the bearings.

I also hope you are very rough on tires, so that your bearings are still in their pristine-from-Kawasaki ungreased state, yet somehow not ruined.

Use a good waterproof grease. A lot of people like Bel-Ray, I've been using some Mobil-1 red stuff.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's probably your spring squeaking....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

My 06 was squeaking as well. One of my swingarm and one of the shock bearings was completely dry and rusted to the point where they would not turn. Ordered in the parts and will get them installed this weekend. The bushings were pitted and rusted as well.

The manual was a great tool to use and highly recommend it.

I use the Bel Ray waterproof grease going forward and will perform this maintenance 4 times per season going forward.

Take your time, don't rush and enjoy the non squeaking result.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Not a terribly difficult job. If the bearings are real bad the swingarm bolt can get tough to pull out.
I claim pressure washers are the number one bearing killer out there. As a result of this belief I don't ever wash my bike at all :lol:

The bearing needles are captive on the KDX; they won't fall out unless the bearing is really shot.

A well maintained linkage does wonders for steering and suspension :wink:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I claim pressure washers are the number one bearing killer out there
I use one and don't bother avoiding any spot. I've had the bike 3 years now, and had to replace 1 bearing on the swingarm this winter. I clean and grease every 6 months or so, it's usually time to be done, but the grease looked ok when I cleaned it.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

That's O.K., I make all kinds of claims.........

Wanna know what the Best 2 Stroke Oil is? :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

yep what is it? :lol:
I didn't mean it doesn't mess up bearings, just saying I personnaly haven't had much trouble because of it. On the other hand I have a cheap (80 bux or sumthin) electric and not very powerfull powerwasher... good enough to remove the dirt, might be a whole different story with a gas powered 200000 PSI :rolleyes:
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

did the job, was really easy, i did not remove my shock though, seems pretty much impossible to do so.

Everything was fine, there was red grease in there, i used white grease i had bought at an autoshop that is water proof so hopefully that's good enough. No more squeak!
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L