Picked up a new shift lever....

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220PILOT

Picked up a new shift lever....

Post by KDX220PILOT »

Happened by chance to find a really nice Forged aluminum MSR shift lever the other day at my local Kawi shop, adds a nice touch to the ole girl, It looks pretty trick, if anyones interested the part number from MSR is 34-2138 perfect replacement for the stock if you can find one, fits 220's and 200's, late 90's until 06. Ive got some new wider pegs comin, should be here in a day or so. heres a pic or 2... Did I mention that my 2000 KDX could very well be the worlds perfect dirt Bike? :pop:

krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

better buy a spare and carry it with you, them The MSR shifters tend to strip out pretty darn easy.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

I cleaned the splines really good before I put it on and went back and snugged it up a couple different times after riding, seems to fit really well, I'll carry the stocker along just in case....
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I use RED LOCKTITE on the SPLINES. Keeps the lever from LOOSENING & YES YOU CAN GET IT OFF....
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Shifter looks nice along with that FUBAR'd chain and sprocket :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Better get yourself a real skid plate (aluminum) and a pipe guard (e line makes a pretty good carbon fiber one). If you ride some rough stuff your pipe and engine case will be smashed in no time.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Gezzzzzzzzz the guy comes here to share his info and people start hammer'n on him.
Come on, we see people mount'n alum shifters from other yr/bikes on KDX's so I say thanks for the tip. :prayer:

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

I didn't mean for my comments to sound like I was ripping on this guy. I know nothing of MSR shifters and wouldn't comment on them either way. I did see something that could cause this guy to have to make some costly repairs though. I was just trying to be helpfull and save him some grief. You should see my skid plate and pipe guard....they are really battered!
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
rdsrf wrote:Better get yourself a real skid plate (aluminum) and a pipe guard (e line makes a pretty good carbon fiber one). If you ride some rough stuff your pipe and engine case will be smashed in no time.
The new E-Line stuff is crap. They moved their manufacturing stuff over to china, quality control is WAY down.

Check with Eric at P-3 Performance. They make nice carbon fiber pipe guards, not sure if they make one for the KDX, they just started not too long ago and will allow you to send your pipe in (if its in perfect shape) and mold one so they can start producing it, and you get your pipe back and a free pipe guard. They are also cheaper than E-Lines.

I agree, you need a new front sprocket and maybe a chain.

Shifter looks fly though. :supz:
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

Thanks for the comments fellas, :butthead: (jokeing) I actually put that quiky skid on there just to keep rocks from slammin into my crankcase off of the front tire, I ride nothing but really mild trails and open farm roads so nothing serious like rock or log crossings, cant seem to find a skid that I like that comes up close enough to the fat pipe were it mounts to the jug, all the ones I see look as if they leave a big gap between the pipe and the skid. I once happened to trade a guy for a yz 250 that had mud all over the bottom of the motor and when I got home and cleaned it off found jb weld smeared all over the busted cracks in the crank case, and a huge chunk missing right in front of the drain bolt, that wouldnt tighten and was leaking, I almost vomited, so now I atleast make some kind of guard for the block until I can find a nice one I like.
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

About the sprocket, this bike has less than 200 original miles on it, I guess I hadnt really looked at it good, the chain just has white lithium sprayed over dirt, Right after I get new front fork seals replaced and some sealsavers on my ktm 450 sx (eat's em for breakfast) I'm gonna order a new chain and sprocket set.
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Contact info for P-3 Performance? My pipe guard is really busted up so I'm going to be needing another one. Bummer that the E-Lines are crap now.
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Check out their website. It is:

http://pirieperfprod.com/
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The MSR shifter works fine. There is a write-up in the eval section of this forum.

The key is what has been done: Install, tighten, check, retighten.

I've run mine for a couple of years now, it's fine. The first time I checked it for tightness after s short ride it was very loose and would have certainly stripped that ride had I not re-tightened it.

The e-line products have been spoken of before. They didn't make a KDX pipe guard then...they don't now, either. At least they don't list it.

Someone know of a x-ref that works on FmF pipes?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

They didn't? I have an E-Line on my bike. Says so plain as day on the pipe guard and seems to fit perfectly.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They made 'em... I bought one.... sold it shortly after 'cause it was for the wrong pipe... Well, it was for the right pipe but FMF decided to stamp my pipe wrong. TARDS!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
rdsrf wrote:They didn't? I have an E-Line on my bike. Says so plain as day on the pipe guard and seems to fit perfectly.
Post a link, please?

I went to their site, they did not list a guard. Or...if listed I didn't see it.

That doesn't mean they don't make one that fits...it means their site doesn't list one.

Do you have a part number?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They USED to sell them.. before they moved their operations to where else... CHINA! Bastages!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I use the IMS shift lever and Moose Pipe guard. Real pipe protection.

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Yeah, I have the same gaurd on my pipes. have had my bike resting on rocks, supported mostly by the guard, with no damage to the pipe. Pretty sturdy.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220