help jetting!!! please read (YES, I have searched!!!!)

Got questions? We got answers....
danbra

help jetting!!! please read (YES, I have searched!!!!)

Post by danbra »

Hi everybody, I am trying to get my jetting dialed in but no luck!!!!

My bike ran fine last year with the gnarly woods pipe in it, however this time I switched it to a rev pipe, and since then I can't get rid of the bog on the 1/4 to 3/8 throtle.
Its a 2005 220
no snorkle
no toil air filter
fmf rev pipe
clip on the 2nd position
148 main
I had my dealer jet it when I put the gnarly in, and he told me that he went one size bigger on the main .....
I have a lot of gas coming out of the hose thats conected to the bowl when the bike is on the sidestand, THATS A NEW ISSUE!!, and the choke doesn't seem to be doing its job, that also new issue, more smoke coming out of the silencer, funky to start also, used to start on 1st or 2nd quick always, now its hit or miss, the A.S is apparently more than 2 1/2 turns out, I know this is wrong, but I need a litlle help fixing it!!
What size main should I start ???? and IS that all the reason of my problems??? please I need some advice!!!!! thanks and sorry for the long post
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...
...until I found this forum!!!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Then you have read this is still can't get it?

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1156
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
danbra

Post by danbra »

Yes, sort of , it seems like I have to go down on my pilot jet, from 42 to 40 ?? what you think? what about my main jet...is that good?? I'm going to buy some jets tomorrow and see how that goes!!!
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If I had a 220 I could try to help you out but they are jetted differently than my 200.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out... but in the meantime, you can view others Bike Profiles to see how they measure up with yours. :wink:

From what you describe, you need to set your float height a tad lower to stop the peeing.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Check to make sure the PIN that holds the FLOAT in place DID NOT FALL OUT. Possibly the Float needs adjustment or the VALVE that the FLOAT FLANGE presses against is bad & needs replacement...
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
danbra

Post by danbra »

I adjusted the float today and will see how that goes tomorrow...
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:From what you describe, you need to set your float height a tad lower to stop the peeing.
You mean the peeing when the bike is leaned over isn't normal on the KDX? I guess I need to do that too.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Your jetting sounds pretty good for a stock 220. the 148 main IS what you have, right? Not one size bigger that your dealer installed? Right away an alarm rings in my head hearing your dealer messed with the carb. My grandma can do anything to a bike better than a dealer. And she's been dead for about 10 years!!

If it were me, I'd grab a factory service manual and take the carb off. Then carefully disassemble and inspect everything. As far as you know, the dealer screwed the thing up; cross thread the main jet, stripped it, didn't seat the needle back in with the slide correctly, didn't set the float right. BTW search n setting the float, it's not right what the manual will tell you. It will pee if you set it by the book.

O.K. so take that carb off and let us know when you've got the bowl off. Also, run to a hardware store and replace those bowl bolts with allen head bolts. You can thank me later. They are cheap. Just take one in and ask them to match it to a stainless steel allen and you should be good to go.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
danbra

Post by danbra »

thanks guys!!........Ski, I adjusted the float by these guidelines:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2262

I will pick some allenbolts for the bowl today, very goos idea!!
Now as far as the pilot jet, Should I go down to a 40 or 38?
I'll see if my parts guy have something in stock, now I know i'm going to sound stupid but, ONE TURN on the air screw means a 360degrees turn with the screwdriver right. RIGHT!!?? :shock:
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

I think the main jet is too big. I have a 2004 220 with the stock exhaust and I have never run a main jet bigger than a 145. I live in your part of the country (New York) so the climate is similar. As it gets closer to summer, and it warms up, I start to go even lower on the main jet. In the middle of the summer I put in a 143. I think I even had to use a 140 once during a race when the temp was around 100 degrees. If I ran a 148 my bike would be smoking and I would be fouling plugs. I would also have tons of spooge out of the tail pipe. You know it ran well last year with the stock jetting. I think you should go back to the jetting you ran last year. This advice is if you ride your bike in the woods. If you are doing speed runs, in 6th gear for long periods of time I can't promise the smaller jets won't melt your engine. Good luck.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

How does it run with the air screw @ 1T out? On any given day it will need adjustment....Even with the correct pilot
Last edited by fuzzy on 12:20 pm Apr 08 2008, edited 1 time in total.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I agree with hockeyboy, I ran 140/40 on a relatively stock '02 220.

That does not mean it is right for YOU, but 148/42 would not have worked for ME.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I ran a 138/38 two years ago during the fall but when it was still hot - before I installed RB mods - and the plug chop depicted a well-jetted bike. I'm not implying that others are NOT well-jetted, only that I ran it leaner than what most come up with: that's the beauty of the plug chop, tells you how to size the main based on current conditions.

I moved to a 40/140 as the weather cooled . . . but by the time the weather warmed back up last year I was RB'd and THANGS CHANGED!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'My bike ran fine last year with the gnarly woods pipe in it, however this time I switched it to a rev pipe, and since then I can't get rid of the bog on the 1/4 to 3/8 throtle.'

Is that the sequence of events?

Ran fine last year.
Changed pipe.
Bog.

Old gas? Did you run it fine THIS year with the woods pipe?

Besides the points already made that you are likely quite a bit too rich..don't waste your time jetting with old fuel.

Yes. 'One turn' means a 360º movement.

Leaving unconditioned fuel in the bike over the winter can likely be responsible for this:

'I have a lot of gas coming out of the hose thats conected to the bowl when the bike is on the sidestand, THATS A NEW ISSUE!!,'

If adjustment of the float doesn't take care of it (a 2mm lower level will help the peeing part..and won't hurt anything else), clean the float seat. Ask if you are unfamiliar with that process.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

Drop the pilot jet down to a 40 and if that dont work drop it down to a 38, mine did the same thing, i'm at sealevel here in nc, that should do it. Mine is a 40 pilot with the needle on second down clip, and 145 main, for perfect crisp jetting with the snorkle in place. :supz:
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Clean your carb and set the float level 1 or 2mm lower than factory specs.

I don't see the reasoning for one size bigger mj. That is just making it run richer.

As for your bogging off idle. Lean the needle out one clip position, and install a 40pj and see if that takes care of it. Go ahead and buy a 38pj while you are at it just in case.

If the gas is old, drain it, add fresh gas and premix
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

... make sure the carb is truly verticle as well. A simple twist on my carby got it to stop peeing on it's stand.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
cwereley

Post by cwereley »

Just recently did some similar modificaions to a 2003 220, and here are my results FYI....

Setup
40:1 Amsoil Interceptor (with premium 91 oct new gas)
Freshly cleaned air filter
Gnarly Desert
Turbine Core II silencer
Air Box Mod - no snorkel + extra holes
Wiseco Piston
Evans coolant
Boyesen Power Reeds - 607
10 deg C (50 deg F)
1100 feet above sea level
Stock needle
Stock carb
Float set just about stock, but it pees a little if on side stand and bike is disturbed a little. I may adjust a little.

I started out a bit rich to be safe, a 42 pilot, 148 main, 3rd from top on needle. I was rich right through and was 2.5 turns out on air screw.

Now with 40 pilot, 145 main, needle on 2nd clip from top, and am ok with airscrew 1.25 turns out. As things warm up, I know I'll have to lean out. Still have to do some plug chops once I get out in the wilds.... people on my street frown when I tear up and down....

Thanks to all the info on this site and reading up on this stuff, was I able to get a good starting point. Thanx to all for their input on this site!

Chris
2003 KDX 220
2006 Hayabusa
danbra

Post by danbra »

Hey guys, thanks for your help, I have ordered some different size jets, and A CEL needle from mxsouth, should see it some time next week, first time buying from them, everybody has given me some good starting point and I"ll let everyone know how it will go next week, it was my mistake to let my dealer jet my bike, but now I know not to let them mess it up again, !!!!
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...