Front suspension questions, 2001 KDX220

Got questions? We got answers....
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

I have no idea what my preload is lol. None. I think i was aiming for 3-5mm when i did my spacer. The suspension guy did say to remove 3-5mm and see if that helps. That would mean no preload hmmm...

I agree that too many things at once is bad, but i was bored yesterday, it was too hot to ride and i've heard nothing but good things about the shim mod.

If the bike sucks i'll take it back to him and make him fix it! :)

I doubt i'll be able to ride tonight, gotta pick up the kid from daycare this week as my wife is studying for the CPA exam. :neutral:
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

i went out today during my lunch hour... i just took an extra hour :)

BIKE FEELS GREAT!!!!!! The front end stayed planted the entire hour i was out there riding, now the rear is a different story :lol:

The suspension is still plush and comfy but grips much nicer. I gotta now find a way to put down the power and keep that rear in line.. if there is such a thing!
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

Nobody seems to care but for searching reasons i will finish up the thread...

I took the bike on a real ride today, it's completely transformed! The removal of the two washers in the valve made a huge difference today, the same bumps that would get me off balance on tight single track steep hill climbs i just rolled over without incident. The front tire also gripped really well!

The back i'm still working on. What he did was basically max out the compression and completely back off the rebound, my rear end comes out very easily and had me on my butt once today, i put in about 8 clicks and it was much better, but i'm still about 12 clicks out, so i'm going to keep playing with that.

:supz:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

How does your '90 KDX compare?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

it's a mess too :lol:

But until last week it handled better!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

You had the fork compression adjusters turned full on, but removed a couple of shims?

A "pro" set your shock to minimum rebound? (That kind of setting can do MAJOR damage - to you - when landing from a jump or other kinds of drop-offs BTW)

Holy twilight zone, Batman! :?

Well, at least you're getting the hang of how suspensions work...you'll be dialing it in in no time! :supz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.