Cylinder Stud

Got questions? We got answers....
motorider200

Cylinder Stud

Post by motorider200 »

I recently had the base stud on the front left snap off. I needed a quick fix so I went to lowes and bought a nut and bolt, cut the head off and used it. I went ahead and ordered the proper nut and stud from the dealership. My question is do you guys think it will be ok to leave the makeshift stud in until my next topend(probably next winter) or should I tear it apart again and replace it with the proper one?
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

As long as you check the torque, it should be fine. But do use a torque wrench, you just might strip out the case and then there would be problems.

BTW, ever read a book called "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?
There's a part in there where a guy's handlebars won't clamp down in the brackets, so he askes his friend to help him repair it. His friend uses a piece of beer can as a shim around the bar so the clamp will tighten and the bars will stay tight. Well the guy gets all out of shape over it. The repair shop has shim stock and he would have no problem with that, but the beer can is not made for repairing handle bar fittings and he can't deal with it being used as such. Of course, the shim stock and beer can are both aluminum and of equal thickness, but the guy just won't listen to his friend's explaination.
Anyway, I always remember that story from the book when I hear of folks improvising a motorcycle repair.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

So does that mean I can use a Fosters can to make my top triple clamp shim ?? Cool !!! :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

If your going to waste a Fosters can to make a shim at least make sure that you have a lifetime supply of shim stock. I bet there are some forum members that would help empty those cylinders of shim stock. Australia is a little far for me to go though!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine