Solid Rotor for the Rear?

Got questions? We got answers....
N8Strine

Solid Rotor for the Rear?

Post by N8Strine »

Iam looking at getting a new rear rotor for my bibe, should I go with the FRP solid or get a stock or some other aftermarket one? How much heavier is a solid vs. stock?
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

I've run a solid but only in extremely muddy conditions. For gen purpose I go with a vented rotor.

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've never understood the point of a solid rotor. Supposedly it's good in mud which is completely contrary sense-wise to me.

Besides that, I've used solid rotors..and am of the personal opinion that they suck.

My BRAKING (brand name..maybe Bra-King?) drilled rotor has performed very well. I have a Titax rotor still in my box-o-parts..but that thing is so UGLY I can't bring myself to use it.

Yeah...being UGLY is SO important in a rotor, 'eh? :wink:

It was cheeep!!!! We all know good lookin' costs $$$$!!!

Wave rotors are cute..and I suppose they're worth something, but as long as it's ventilated (holes or slots) I don't need no steenking hot rod rotor on my bike.

I've not measured solid/vented. Different I'm sure...but hardly enough to sweat over, imo. It's not like you need to shave ounces in order to drop .0001 off an ET... or reach earth orbit!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
plb

Post by plb »

I run 2 years with the stock disc.... change my pads 2-3 times a summer... Since one year, I ride with a full disc and I only change my brake 1 time.

It's the same thing for all my friend who give me the advice to change my rotor... I agree with now!

You have a better control with solid disc. You can feel and adjust the braking.

With the stock, it's only «on/off» feeling.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Maybe the reason pads last longer with a solid rotor is 'cuz they aren't DOING ANYTHING!!!....'eh?

That, and changing pads that often sounds off. I've ridden lot'sa lot'sa miles in a 'season' and not replaced them that often. $$-to-dogturds says something else was wrong..divots in the brake pins, a dished out rotor..a poor choice of pad material...something.

OK...that was all obviously biased blab..but that's what I'm good at! :wink:

Here's a btw for y'all: I get FAR better use out of KAW pads than any aftermarket pads I've used. Considering that aftermarket pads do not come with backing plates and buffer pads (yes, you can take them off OEM pads and clip them onto aftermarket pads a few times before the clips break) I've simply gone back to KAW pads.

You know what they say! Opinions are just like *ss^%$&...everybody's got one!! :lol:

ME TOO!!

Consider the source

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Take a look at the EBC HD Rotor......
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
plb

Post by plb »

«The FRP Solid Brake Rotor is stronger than stock and provides improved stopping power in muddy riding conditions. Also increases brake pad life 3-4 times longer

http://frpoffroad.com/catalog/details.aspx?ProdID=1

« MOOSE MUD-PROOF SOLID DISC ROTORS
Used by professional off-road racing teams around the world
Made from high-carbon content stainless steel, which offers greater friction than standard discs
No-holes design greatly prolongs brake pad life in muddy conditions
Cut with a CAD/CAM laser machine, not stamped like stockers
Perfect for muddy conditions, off-road, or on the track
Made in the USA
$109.95 »

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp? ... up_id=5382

I agree with Moose and Fredette :mrgreen:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Maybe the reason pads last longer with a solid rotor is 'cuz they aren't DOING ANYTHING!!!....'eh?
As much as I hate to say it in public, I agree with CC :lol:

Seriously, dounno what the fuss is all about anyway, the rear brake doesn't do much, the only time I use em is in brake/slide turn.
I can say that on my worn out and grooved rear stock, my pads didn't last long (and as stated above I don't drag the brake). I fried 1 set in less than 10 mile in very SLOW (not much need for the brakes) muddy conditions :evil: . Then i replaced the rotor with a KX I had laying around that looked in a far better shape. (had to drill the mounting hole just a tad but very easy). Anyway, I've rideen the same place in very muddy condition with 1/2 worn pads, and: THEY LOOK LIKE BRAND NEW! (well you know what I mean)
My point is, if you change pads that often, maybe there is sumthin not right, pins, or rotor, you dragin the brake I donut, in any event: sumthin ain't right!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

You know what they say! Opinions are just like *ss^%$&...everybody's got one!!
well me too :roll:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I agree with Moose and Fredette'

I'm sure you do. I don't. :wink:

Not to pick too closely..but if I agreed with everything Mr. Fredette thinks and setup my bike accordingly...it wouldn't be running 'fer CRAP!!

I understand what 'they' say. I also don't give a whit. I've used solid rotors...I don't like 'em.

Another subject maybe, but I have yet to see anything from Moose that's much good, either! The fork sleeves I just got 'fer example. They're junk compared to SealSavers.

I'm glad you like solid rotors and the improved braking you get out of 'em. You are more'n welcome to 'em!!

Hey!!! It's not THAT bad to agree with me!!!

....I think there's a pill or shot or something you can get for that. :rolleyes:

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Gotta be sumpthin wrong if you are wearing out pads on the rear

I think I've changed my rear pads once since 2003

I've done the fronts twice since then
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
plb

Post by plb »

Hummm... I think you ride a lot in the sand like California style riding.

Here, we ride 90% of the time in the mud/rain/hard condition, it's hard on lifetime brake pads;)

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

No sand here

Just good ol Pacific Wet dirt
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
plb wrote:
Hummm... I think you ride a lot in the sand like California style riding.

Here, we ride 90% of the time in the mud/rain/hard condition, it's hard on lifetime brake pads;)

Not sure I'd post that and show a pic of a spot big nuf to turn a semi around in :lol:

We try to keep it like this:

Single Track :supz:

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

We try to keep it like this:

Single Track :supz:

[/quote]

I'll bet $'s that pic's from a race, I've seen it like that hell, I've raced on stuff like that.

Tell you what, send 3-400 bikes up that trail on your pristine lil pic ad I guarantee it wont look the same. :mrgreen:

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

My rear brake is used a lot, hard - I don't understand people who say they don't use the rear brake much - I flat absolutely rely on both ends for stops big-time. Here in cal, where deep mud is hard to find and most of the riding is dry stuff or just wet w/o deep mud, the semi-solid rear rotor lasts diddle due to overheating and galling of the metal. I learned to drill out the stocker to make it a full vented. Then it lasts and the brake pads stay cool enough to do some stopping without the premature fade that can sneak up on you right before that high-speed downhill turn. Whoa mama! :shock:

Where I ride, that kind of pristine trail would stay pristine. We carefully line our single track with copious amounts of pretty red poison oak plants and manzanita (iron wood to some), vertical side drop-offs littered with small plastic bits, lever tips, and the occasional human body part. You can't find 300 guys who'll ride together on that kind of stuff - thank God. :prayer:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Tell you what, send 3-400 bikes up that trail on your pristine lil pic ad I guarantee it wont look the same.'

Why would you want to do that?

Re: 'You can't find 300 guys who'll ride together on that kind of stuff - thank God.'

Good!! Why wouldn't you keep it that way?

People are generally stupid. Riders being mostly people, are not exempt. I've never understood the 'race' mentality. What the hell is the point of tearing the snot out of everything, riding with a 'the more wheelspin the better' mentality? It's easy to ride fast enough to have fun AND test your skill without tearing things up.

Then there's the complete morons that get hung up on a bit of root and proceed to dig a hole 2' deep..throwing mud, dirt, and rocks for 50', leaving an eroding mess that no one else can get past.

Of course, they are the same insufferable asses that ride on one wheel through, or try to break the sonic barrier, or both, in staging areas.

Re: 'I don't understand people who say they don't use the rear brake much...'

Ha! Ain't that the truth! That's when you do the kind of riding that gets you the same view every minute or so, I guess. More power to 'em!

Consider the source

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: Then there's the complete morons that get hung up on a bit of root and proceed to dig a hole 2' deep..throwing mud, dirt, and rocks for 50', leaving an eroding mess that no one else can get past.
And they always seem to prefer big bore bikes, don't they? At least when you see the broken brush mess later on the trail side, you know it was probably the same dope enjoying a major get-off! :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Fredette had solid rotors on his bike at the Last Man Standing. It wasn't particularry muddy, but he came with the bare essentials. Maybe he had them on just in case and didin't bring any others.

Speaking of single track, I've just progressed to the point where I can outrun my riding buddies on the really tight, twistey, technical stuff (they can still beat on the faster, more open trails). Ha ha. Oh what a great feeling. One of them has been trying to convince me that I shouldn't spend any more money on my KDX because it is old technology and that 4T's are the future of the sport, blah, blah, blah, meaningless drivel... He has a new CRF250X. I had to wait on him all morning. Usually he has to wait on me. When we got back to the truck I praised my KDX, as I usually do. Only this time he didn't say much to dispute me. :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'And they always seem to prefer big bore bikes, don't they?'

...at an easy 110+db, too.

They are SO cool, I can barely keep from wetting myself every time they ride by. 100% pure studliness 'fer shure, you bet'cha!!
:prayer:

Consider the source