Trials Tire?

Got questions? We got answers....
fLyNbYu

Trials Tire?

Post by fLyNbYu »

Anyone run/ran one on their KDX's? If you do/did, pros and cons of running one and your personal experience and type(s) of terrain you rode through. I'll be needing a new rear tire soon and was interested in trying a trials tire out. A brand and model # would be helpful also.
'01 KDX 220R
'01 XR650R SuperTerd
danbra

Post by danbra »

I just put one on mine....dunlop 803.......all I can say is I'm never going back to knobbies, excelent on loose rocks, big boulders, roots, even on powdered snow it did better than I thought it would, it is good on mud crossing streams....not good on ICE!!!! but I can takethat, it made me a better rider, we have one steep hill one the trail we go here, with a mixture of leaves, rocks, roots and a very big incline, I just putted my self up and down with hardly any spin, my buddies with wr450 and drz400 on knobbies couldn't make it up, sorry for the long post, just my 2cents.

or 2 dollars :supz: :supz:

I bought mine on rocymountainatvmc for 72.00.....cheapest I could find!!!!
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...
...until I found this forum!!!!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

What pressure and how long do they last compared to average knobbies?
I use to have a trial 15 years ago and the compound seemed really soft, the kind that would chunk really easy at high speed in rocks and wear out pretty fast on a kdx
danbra

Post by danbra »

I'm running 11psi in it.........it seems softer then the knobbies but still looking new after two 3hrs ride......
2005 kdx 220r
bone stock...
...until I found this forum!!!!!
rick albert

hey flyNbYu :

Post by rick albert »

look at my post on PRODUCT REVIEWS on trials tires !!!!!
JUST RIDE !!!
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I will never go back to knobbies either for trail riding. I run a Maxxis IT for desert riding, then mount up my 803 for everything else. I run 2 rim locks and a Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tube, I run 6-8psi. 6psi is a little squishy, 8psi gets plenty of traction. No flats yet. I have the 803 on my KTM 250exc now, talk about fun to hook up a 250 with a trials tire, hang on! There is very little wear on the trials tire after 10 days on it. I always miss the 803 when I get into tight desert sections.

However, I have heard they will chunk at higher speeds when they heat up, definitely a trail tire, not for fireroading at low PSI.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd love to see someone run one up at Quartz Creek!

Unless it's totally dry I don't see it much working up there

IRC M5B is the only way to go! :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Just don't plan on running any Endurocross events with it:

http://www.endurocross.com/raceinformation2008.htm

Apparently, it's bad-for-business for Maxxis. That just shows you how good they work. If/when Maxxis develops their own trials tire, then it'll be OK. But, they'll probably require you to run Maxxis only :lol:

Me? IRC Vulcanduro VE33 and VE35's. They wear well everywhere, even on pavement. And, they're inexpensive ($80/set).

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I did not like VE33, too hard of compound for around here, lasts long time but crappy traction
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Wibby, that's the biggest complaint from the wet-climate guys. I won't argue that point, for sure. I hated them in CT with wet loam, leaves, duff layers, etc. Work great and wear great for the hard stuff, including Utah sand and slickrock. I mentioned pavement only because my engineer friend (remember my brass-spacer post?) has run them for years on all his dual-sports, from XR650's to 2T ATK's, and says they last the longest, and are adequate for 80% of the off-road stuff we ride out here. For the money, we can't complain!

YMMV.

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yeah I dont remember ever wearing out the ones on my LT3 100

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Do a search on trials tires on this site. I did a review of a Michelin X-11 tube type on my 96' Kdx 200. They work great for my terrain. I had it transfered over to my Ktm 300, and after over a year on it, and many many miles, its still in great shape.
dmcc

Post by dmcc »

I use the Dunlop 803 on my 220. Rides great, very versatile, wears good and keeps working with some wear on it. I love it for all kinds of trails. The only place I have been where I didn't enjoy the 803 was a motocross track with DEEP sand. It still worked, just not the best for the situation. It does surprisingly well in slick mud. They will slide more than most knobbies if you lock up the rear tire on grass.
I run from 8psi to 12psi, depending on what I'm riding. At 8psi it sure soaks up bumps!
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Pirelli and Mitas both make a trials tire. They have stiffer sidewalls and will get rid of that squishiness and side to side movement at high speeds. Both are dot approved and are the most like a knobby out of all the trials tires, but still offer trials tire traction. I'm about to stick a Pirelli MT-43 trials tire on my KTM 300 Exc. Ill report how it does compared to the michelin x-11.
fLyNbYu

Post by fLyNbYu »

Thanks for all the help everyone, for the record i did do a search, but more that likely I searched the wrong section. :lol:
'01 KDX 220R
'01 XR650R SuperTerd