KDX Wiseco Piston Swap out.....

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220PILOT

KDX Wiseco Piston Swap out.....

Post by KDX220PILOT »

Howdy fellas, I'm expecting my new Wiseco piston to be arriving next tuesday, any thing I should need to know? I've changed many 2 stroke pistons, mostly Blasters and MX bikes, but not sure about the KIPS system on the KDX. Shes my all time favorite bike, a mint condition 2000 model with only around 8 hours on it total, I've decided to go ahead and change out to a Wiseco due to the horrifing stories ive read about the stocker snappin skirts and bustin the cases or the jug due to a really weak stock piston, couldnt live with myself if I let her grenade on me, Thanks in advance.
KDX220PILOT

Re: KDX Wiseco Piston Swap out.....

Post by KDX220PILOT »

>|QBB<[/url]
KDX220PILOT wrote:Howdy fellas, I'm expecting my new Wiseco piston to be arriving next tuesday, any thing I should need to know? I've changed many 2 stroke pistons, mostly Blasters and MX bikes, but not sure about the KIPS system on the KDX. Shes my all time favorite bike, a mint condition 2000 model with only around 8 hours on it total, I've decided to go ahead and change out to a Wiseco due to the horrifing stories ive read about the stocker snappin skirts and bustin the cases or the jug due to a really weak stock piston, couldnt live with myself if I let her grenade on me, Thanks in advance.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

do you have the service manual?
If not it shouldn't be that bad since you've worked on 2 smokes before.
Don't forget to support the kips actuator shaft when you undo the reverse treaded nut. (and when you put it back on)
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KDX Wiseco Piston Swap out.....

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
KDX220PILOT wrote:I've decided to go ahead and change out to a Wiseco due to the horrifing stories ive read about the stocker snappin skirts and bustin the cases or the jug due to a really weak stock piston, couldnt live with myself if I let her grenade on me
Remember, forums are where the problems get discussed, so it might seem like all 220's has issue, but in reality, as a percentage of all the bikes, it's not that many.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

That's a sharp-lookin' 220 . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The % of 220's that have 'issues' may be small overall...but if it happens to YOU...that's a 100% failure rate...for YOU.

No reason the KIPS has to be touched if you're simply replacing a piston. A quick look at it when the cylinder's off will ensure it's properly working (correctly timed and such), otherwise disconnect the KIPS at the top of the governor rod (the LHT part), leave the rest alone.

Enjoy it!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PILOT

Post by KDX220PILOT »

Thanks for all the help, after a patient 2 and a half hour change out, all went together without a hitch, bike starts first kick every time, I can actually feel a power diffrence, or at least the RPM's shoot up faster creating the effect of more power! The ole KDX fricken RIPPS!!! I love this bike!!! :supz:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

When you start to crave more power go with the RB mods, talk about rippin' . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:The % of 220's that have 'issues' may be small overall...but if it happens to YOU...that's a 100% failure rate...for YOU
100% :bravo:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Everyone has their favorite...but there is a -35 pipe on your bike. You think it rips now...make that a -30 pipe (most 220's riders' choice)..and get that 33mm carby out'a there...

YeeHAW!!

Or....ride it like it is..spend the money on fuel..ride MORE!! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!