speedometers for pedal bikes on your KDX- suggestions

Got questions? We got answers....
race30

speedometers for pedal bikes on your KDX- suggestions

Post by race30 »

hey guys,

I recently went to Wal-Mart and picked up a bicycle speedometer from BELL...its wireless between the sensor and the handlebars so it should be pretty slick...HOWEVER----I can't find a good place to mount the magnet and the pick up sensor (they have to be < 2mm apart.

Does anyone have a picture of how they mounted theirs?

or at least a description?

thanks guys!!
rickSA

Post by rickSA »

I used an old hard-drive magnet which i glued in one of the small holes between the mounting bolts of the brake disk! I then found a good place on the front of the fixed piece of the caliper (the bit that bolts to the fork!)
Ran the wire up the break cable.

The reason for using the hard disk magnet was because they are allot stronger so the distance between the sensor and the magnet can be bigger!
It doesn't have to be a HD magnet, I'm sure some sort of hobby store or alike will have something for you!

It's also nicely tucked out the way there! Have only had one problem with it when i got a stick between the brake line and the wire. Have since heat-shrink'ed it to the brake line and have had no trouble since!!

Am now looking at using a Garmin ForeTrex101 though. Very helpful on all the new trails and Enduros! They upload all the waypoints to your GPS at the starts here is SA!! It's a great help! :grin:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

pics?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The problem with using bicycle type wireless odo's is that the range isn't strong enough to run the transmitter from your front brake area all the way up to the handle bars where the receiver will be mounted. Read the directions and see the max distance. Most are 22 inches or so.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
race30

Post by race30 »

well thats not good...I hope mine makes the stretch
I didn't see any specs about the distance in the manual?

we'll see