kdx 250d (1991)

Got questions? We got answers....
bozzwoldo

kdx 250d (1991)

Post by bozzwoldo »

Hi from the UK,

I'm hoping some of you guys can help out. I've just bought a 1991 kdx250d1 and am trying to find out some information about this particular model. The price of a workshop manual is £75.00 from my dealers!!!!
I have previously owned a 250SR which was awful. The 250d1 seems to be a proper enduro machine.
Has anyone got experience of them and any technical specification/ useful tips would be gratefully received.
Lastly does anyone know where I could get a workshop manual at a sensible price?

Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Welcome to the site with answers!

I would definitely suggest that you buy the proper manuals. They are a tremendous help. I am not familiar with how the UK model is, but I know that in the USA, one has to get the 1989 - 1994 KDX200 manual (part number 99924-1114-02) plus the KDX250 supplement manual (part number 99924-1143-52). I am not familiar with UK shops, but I know that in the USA, Bike Bandit - http://www.bikebandit.com, has the KDX200 manual for GBP $19.64 and the supplement manual for GBP $7.42. They offer international shipping.

If you want used manuals, then you can always check http://www.ebay.com. Maybe they have a UK site as well. I am not sure. I saw the KDX250 supplement on eBay USA a week or so ago. If you shop on eBay, you may want to ask the seller for the part number to make sure you get the most current version. Of course, any version is better than no version and they probably didn't change much in the manuals. I know there is little difference in the 1st and 2nd versions of the 1989 - 1994 KDX200 manuals, as I have both of them.

For parts diagrams, check http://www.buykawasaki.com. They have the diagrams for the USA version of the bike. Maye your UK version is similar.

As far as experience, I think you are the first person I have seen on this site with a KDX250. Everyone here has a 200 or 220. That didn't keep you from getting some information, though. :grin: You should be able to apply several of the good general service tips that have been mentioned on this site.

Good luck with your new bike and welcome to the kdx.woodsrider.net site! :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bozzwoldo

Post by bozzwoldo »

Jason,

Thankyou very much. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. The information you have given me corresponds to that given by the UK dealer in that I have to buy the KDX200 manual and an additional supplement. I will try the US company you mentioned as it appears £75.00 is evtortionate.
I am having a bit of a nightmare at the moment getting the rear shock out of the bike. I have stripped down the airbox, but can't get the damn thing out of the frame! The only other alternative seems to be to remove all the rear shock linkage points.

Rgards

Stewart Bosworth
UK
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You're welcome.

Maybe shipping won't be too high for two books.

I don't know if this would apply to your KDX250, but the last time I removed the shock, I had to remove the left frame sub-pipe and loosen one or two of the linkage bolts and swing the linkage out of the way to get the shock off.

You may want to check the http://www.buykawasaki.com parts diagrams to see if your bike is similar. If so, that method may work for you.

Thanks,
Jason
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

On my 95 model I took my shock out the brake side of the sub-frame. This after unbolting the rear side of the dogbones and dropping them out of the way. It come out real easy and went in the same way. Of course, this is all with the rear-end suspended and the rear wheel removed.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bozzwoldo

Post by bozzwoldo »

Guys,

Thanks. What would I do without you! The shocks out and I'm just relaxing with a beer!

Cheers!

Bozzwoldo (UK)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Awesome! Glad to here it! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

bozzwoldo wrote:Guys,

Thanks. What would I do without you! The shocks out and I'm just relaxing with a beer!

Cheers!

Bozzwoldo (UK)
Cool! I am glad to hear that you got it out.

Thanks for not asking too tough of a question the first time. :grin: