"E" series wiring question

Got questions? We got answers....
jeopardy98

"E" series wiring question

Post by jeopardy98 »

I have looked at the parts fiche and I cannot figure out how the wiring for my 92 should be hooked up from the regulator to the headlight and taillight. Where does the plastic plug coming from the regulator plug into? I looked at the wiring diagram in the manual as well but that didn't help. Can anyone shed some light on this?
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Obviously you didn't actually read my post but thanks anyway. That diagram doesn't even show a regulator much less what it plugs into.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

>|<>QBB<
jeopardy98 wrote:Obviously you didn't actually read my post but thanks anyway. That diagram doesn't even show a regulator much less what it plugs into.
Yea I know. The manual sucks. But I just went through this on Monday and I think I have it figured out. Ill let you know when I get to work tomarrow when I check the wiring.
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Any updates? I really just need to know what "plug" actually plugs into the regulator. Anyone have a picture? I'm just trying to decide if it's worth all of this or if I should just sell it all and run without lights.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

As I recall...some 'E' bikes didn't HAVE a regulator.

Where it will plug into is AFTER the switch, if that helps at all. So..with the lights off, nothing is regulated 'cuz nothing is 'on'.

Keep that in mind if you wire, say, grip heat or something. You don't want to tap into the 'hot' side of the coil with anything if the regulator isn't there, too!

Maybe that diagram has the regulator plug shown on the other side of the sheet........ :hmm:

I say...thass'a joke, son.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Ha Ha, yes I think the 89's didn't have a regulator and I think that is what that diagram is from. I do have a regulator and it has a white plug on it. I also have a headlight socket which is connected to the tail light socket and both of those are connected to the coil in some way. I can't really figure out what part of all that should have the other plug on it.

I'll flip the sheet over and check ;).
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Are you looking for an existing plug/socket...or looking to put IN a regulator where there was none?

How many wires on your regulator? And..do you know if it is DC or AC?

Consider the source

jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

I'm looking for the existing factory plug. I have a regulator which is factory. It is two wires and it is 6V DC IIRC and it has a white plastic plug on the end but I can't find the other end to that plastic plug.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

It wouldn't be 6v DC. If it is its from a 88 or earlier KDX. You should be using a 12v regulator for your 92. Like CC says wire it after the switch but before the light. And your good to go. The diagram thats above is indeed from a 89 manual. You can look a 95+ kdx as well the diagrams should be basically identical.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Wibby has a '92...but I've never looked at his wiring.

This whole endeavor may be barking up the wrong tree.

Your bike had no lights and you're fixing it? The wiring is OEM?

The wiring was ripped out and you're replacing it?

Is there any reason to think the receptacle you need to match the VR is even on the bike?

If the point is to find the recep the plug fits into...it's either there or it's not. No secret about it.

If the whole thing is a 'Who knows what THIS is!!??' re-fit, then the finding of the recep is a minor issue. What needs to be done is to wire the VR into the existing wiring whether there is a recep for the plug or not.

...right?

This is a kit you bought for your bike? Is that the 'Sell it, run without lights' part comes in?

So...why is the VR marked 6V? Or...the IIRC part somehow makes that 12? I'm sure the IIRC part means something. All I've found on the web about it is a reference to a pulse width modulating device.... :hmm:

Some basics for starters. You don't have a voltage regulator..you have a rectifier. The bike generates AC. 'H' models run on AC..and they do have voltage regulators. That your 'unit' says DC on it makes it clear that it is a rectifier device.

Nothing wrong with that approach..but it needs to have an AC input, and will put out DC. Depending on how the thing is configured, there will be some loss INside the thing...you won't put 3amps of power in and get 3 amps of power out.

Does your 6V IIRC piece have a metal tab/back with a mounting hole in it to act as a ground? Are there heatsinks (fins for dissapating heat) on the piece?

If this is a kit you bought, where did it come from?

Sorry. You were after a simple answer to a simple question. I think the simple question may not relate to the issue at hand.

**edit**
Missed m0rie's post. I understand the 6VDC IIRC is something ON the piece..a label or tag. So...why would you think it is not a 6V device? Granted, it's not supposed to be. Isn't the marking at least curious?

You could hook the thing up to an AC device and see what happens. LIKE YOUR BIKE! :wink:

Ground the tab to the bike frame. Clip the input (marked?) wire to the light switch. Measure the other wire with a voltmeter. If it's putting out 6VDC, somebody screwed up sending the wrong part. If it's putting out 12VDC..then wire the thing in!!

And it will look something like this:

Consider the source

jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Oh sweet baby jeebus...

I'm sorry to have confused everyone so. The regulator (yes that is what it is) is the stock part off of another 92 KDX200 parts bike SO it must be 12v AC. I thought I knew what the stock one was supposed to be. There is no tag on it stating what I had originally thought.

Yes, the bike had the wiring ripped out for the headlight and taillight part of the equation. Someone just clipped the original regulator at the base and got rid of everything attached to it. The coil, and kill switch were still wired in.

No, I do not have any reason to think that the plug I'm looking for SHOULD be there. I'd just like to know WHICH part of the original wiring SHOULD have the plug so I can go in search of that wire on ebay or the likes.

I'm planning on buying the UFO Ray headlight so the stock socket is out of the equation. I still have the taillight to wire in and the switch.

Canyn, your diagram makes sense and I think I'll just pull out my meter check the current that's flowing out of the regulator and splice it all together. Good to go, I think.

Nope, the regulator wasn't on the back of that page... :butthead:
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Nope, the regulator wasn't on the back of that page...

At least you checked for the possiblity!! :wink:

For the casual reader....

A notable difference between a regulator and rectumfrier....with the 'H' model (AC regulator), you can wire your load anywhere after the switch..just as long as the load and the regulator are switched 'on' at the same time.

With the frier, the load will be connected only to the output of the device.

Wiring for the two types of voltage control will be quite different.

What's left of your wiring may be a clue as to what was there. IF your device is an AC regulator, it will be wired differently. A regulator will be a parallel device, a rectifier will be a series device.

Nobody's confused. It's that leaving out little parts that don't seem to matter DO matter..a LOT. Your part having come off a '92 bike is a completely different kettle of fish than your part having come from your local bike store, the guy behind the counter saying, 'This is what you need to wire lights on your bike.'

Well, I AM usually confused...but not about this........ :roll:

Consider the source

jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

I'm still wondering if the wiring stayed the same through the "H" series? I found a wiring harness on ebay with that blasted plug I've been searcing for. It's from a 96.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

If you search the posts, there was someone who went through this process with all of us. I posted that same diagram and M0rie said there is no regulator blah blah. So jeopardy , YES i did read. been through it before lol
1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

No offense man but the 89's didn't have a regulator but the 90's and up did. When they changed the part number of the manual they updated the wiring diagram. The new part number manual ended in -02. Regardless that diagram doesn't help me figure anything out. I already have a manual and I stated that I had already looked at that. I do appreciate the input though. I didn't mean to come across as a jerk.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why the focus on the plug? Just wire the thing in...or if you want it plugged, go buy a 'plug' from your local auto parts/RV store.

Is the point to make it work...or make it 'original'?

Wiring is NOT the same in the 'H' series. It didn't stay the same within the 'H' series. I got a sparky box from Jag a couple years back..it wasn't plug-n-play, so I know they are not all the same.

Just fix it!!

:wink:

Consider the source

AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

>|<>QBB<
jeopardy98 wrote:No offense man but the 89's didn't have a regulator but the 90's and up did. When they changed the part number of the manual they updated the wiring diagram. The new part number manual ended in -02. Regardless that diagram doesn't help me figure anything out. I already have a manual and I stated that I had already looked at that. I do appreciate the input though. I didn't mean to come across as a jerk.
Understandable, however your post says E - series?
1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It says '92', too.

:wink:

Let's not fight, boys!

Besides it wasn't until somewhat later that I saved the day with the 'on the back' possibility...so EVERYBODY'S A WINNAH!!!

...or could have been!

I can't count the number of times I've misread/missed things...I don't think I'm alone in outstanding in my own field on that. I'd rather be set straight point-blank than not.

Cheers!!

Consider the source

jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Cheers for sure. I'm going to go check the back of that page one more time...
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200