Need a little KIPS / Motor help please..

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good deal! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

Ok,,, so i have cleaned the KIPS and the piston. Looks like its an OEM piston, don't know if its THE original or not. It has a forward arrow and a "B" on the crown.

Also this part is missing the last tooth on the right :mad:

Any one stop shopping ideas for :
1. Piston kit
2. Top End gasket Set
3. Main shaft gear
4. anything else i need?

Edited photo
Last edited by StickyTeflon on 07:50 am Apr 01 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Cyclepedia blocks crosslinking their copyrighted material. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Also this part is missing the last tooth on the right
me too, didn't replace it and have no problem so far
StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I am trying to search for stuff before i ask
but some things are still unclear.

So i have found and have read the threads about scotch brighting the cylinder to deglaze and what to use to torque the head blots with and about brake in but i can not find a definitive answer on piston size???

I have a "B" piston and it looks pretty good. If it wasn't OEM (stories of explosions) i would just use new rings, But since i have it apart i might as well do the piston too.

Can i just get the Wiseco Pro Light Piston Kit and wrist pin bearing and call it done??
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Look at the mark on the head...it's a 220.....

Do not reuse the piston. Buy a Wiseco for it.

Check the old piston for piston-to-cylinder clearance. What is it?

Ring gap? What is that (in the old setup)?

You are looking for a definitive answer regarding piston size... :hmm:

What is the question? That the piston has a 'B' on it makes it an OEM piston..and the topend that was 'done'...wasn't. Not very well, anyway. Putting an OEM piston back in a 220 is at the least an uninformed act.

There is no 'choice' from Wiseco. Buy a piston for the 220, that's it. They do have overbore sizes, but they are NOT the same as the A,B,C,D,etc. sizing of the OEM pistons. To use an overbore size from Wiseco would require you to bore and replate the cylinder.

Did you support the exhaust valve actuator shaft while loosening the LEFT HAND nut?

...just kidding.....

Re: carbon on the piston

Likely jetted WAY too rich!! That also relates to the gunky KIPS. I'm sure there is something notable about the carbon mark on the head...but I don't know what it is. Looks like a leak of some sort. Did you have any seepage at the head gasket? Lose any coolant regularly? Have odd overheating problems?

The missing tooth most likely is from wrenching the nut off..jamming the tooth against the subport drum shaft.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 01:38 pm Apr 01 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Look at the mark on the head...it's a 220.....

Do not reuse the piston. Buy a Wiseco for it.

Check the old piston for piston-to-cylinder clearance. What is it?

Ring gap? What is that (in the old setup)?

You are looking for a definitive answer regarding piston size... :hmm:

What is the question?

There is no 'choice' from Wiseco. Buy a piston for the 220, that's it. They do have overbore sizes, but they are NOT the same as the A,B,C,D,etc. sizing of the OEM pistons. To use an overbore size from Wiseco would require you to bore and replate the cylinder.

Thanks... I'm reading though 20 plus threads about pistons here and reading replies in the middle of post that, come to find out are for 200s

Like i said, its my fist tear down ever and i just want to be sure .

The only leaks I've ever had were the counter shaft (fixed) and the kips vale cover (which started this whole mess!!)

Thanks again everyone.. I know there are 40 plus "top end" posts here and you guys have been very help full.

Sean
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

General reading can certainly get you some info...and can get to be 'too much' information, too.

Having a manual and paying it some attention (re: the LHT part) says you're on the right track.

If you have a question, please ask. Forewarned is forearmed and all that junk.........

Oh...RonAyers is an online ordering site for OEM parts...complete with online parts diagrams. Prices are generally good..although shipping cost is always a zinger.

Keep in mind that a piston 'kit' isn't likely going to come with a top-end bearing. Check to be sure, but I don't think Wiseco comes with one. Get that ordered with your LH gear.

Another part to maybe consider...the 'packing' on the RH rod. It's an o-ring kind of thing..'cept'n it's not 'o' shaped. As long as it's apart and all...

It looks sorta like (meaning exactly like):

Consider the source

StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
Another part to maybe consider...the 'packing' on the RH rod. It's an o-ring kind of thing..'cept'n it's not 'o' shaped. As long as it's apart and all...
I was already looking at replacing that too.

I looked at Fiche on Bikebandit and at RonAyers and it doesn't show that seal part # just the RH rod as an item.

Any idea on the part #?

Sean
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes. I do have an idea.

Will that work? :wink:

The caption on the above pic (in my gallery..which I'm sure you have examined every pic IN there in excruciating detail!!) says:

43049-1076 RH KIPS ROD PACKING

Sorry. I should've included that info WITH the pic.

BTW...google that part number and you will find:

Upper top end bearing small 13033-1056; Rear master cylinder kit 43020-1094; (3x) Power valve O-rings 43049-1076; (2x)

Of course, to be fair, you will ALSO find:

Уплотнение, 88 рублей. Номер на рисунке:. 43049. Наименование детали: ... 43049-1076. Количество в узле

AND:

43 049 - 1 076 = 41 973

Hope that helps!!! :roll:

Consider the source

StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

Nice...!!! thanks man!

I will zap my credit card tonight and parts should show up next week.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

They get you for every dime they can on topend kits. I could only find one place for a 250 that was BTO, but even they had to get it from Western powersports and they even called to reconfirm the gaskets from their own dropdown menu. I think Dennis Kirk had kits but the gaskets were on open-ended back order so make sure they have everything or else you will have to wait for who knows how long.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oh yeah...I meant to blather something about gaskets...

I've used Cometic 'kits'..they have worked OK.

I have also separately purchased a head gasket and base gasket from the local dealer...cuz I have yet to use MOST of the gaskets in the 'kit'.

FRP will have cometic kits, I'd bet.

RockyMtn has 'em...$32 for the 200 'H' model. Orderable online with your zapped card.......

Consider the source

StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

I was going to go with monkeybutt

RockyMountain is out of stock on the piston and wrist pin bearings

monkeybutt
Kawasaki Top End Gaskets By Cometic (KDX220 97-05 #C7298) $34.49
Wiseco Pro Light Piston Kit -(KDX220 98-05 STANDARD#750M06900) $82.99
Wiseco Top End Bearing $12.99
Shipping $9.99

Total: $140.46

not too bad .. i know someone had a link to them cheaper on Ebay but i just don't trust Ebay :?
StickyTeflon

Post by StickyTeflon »

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!!!
Especially you canyncarvr!:partyman:

Got my piston kit Saturday and got a chance to get the motor back together today. I just finished up and it started second kick!!!! It's too late here (neighbors) to let it run up to temp, but so far everything seems good.

The whole top end thing really wasn't as difficult to do as i had expected.

Hardest part = getting the motor between the swing arm without bumping out the swing arm bearing seals and putting the swing arm bolt back in.

Thanks guys!!!

Sean

UPDATE--------

Took the bike out today to break in the new top end. It felt a little weak on the first short 10min ride. I was starting to worry i did something wrong. But after 3 more heat cycles and letting it cool in between the cycles...........Success!! all the power is back and better. cleaning that power valve has changed the bike.

So. 1 1/2 hrs on the bike now and no coolant leaks, no oil leaks, and all my power is back.

I'm so glad i did this project myself!!
Mine: '98 KDX 220R, '08 KTM 200xc-w
Wife: '06 CRF 230F
Daughter: '06 CRF 70F -- #209 VCHSS