Took the KX on it's maiden voyage today

Got questions? We got answers....
AwfulSmokey

Took the KX on it's maiden voyage today

Post by AwfulSmokey »

And all went extremely well. An hour into riding, i did wish that i was on the KDX. My back hurt like hell taking the same bumps that the KDX just floats over. I couldn't keep up with the KDX in the tight areas. That was mostly due to my front tire sucking in the sugar sand.

Here they are all cleaned up after a day of riding.

1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Your bikes are both purpose built- KDX: woods and KX: MX. It must be great to have both :supz: :partyman:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

What's your impression on the differences in power? What did you think of the way the KX handled in the tight areas?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:What's your impression on the differences in power? What did you think of the way the KX handled in the tight areas?
Sitting/Driving on the KX all i can hear/feel is the pipe (tinny) It consumes the bike. Side by side the bikes are the same height, only the KDX sinks down when you sit on it, the KX doesn't budge( i can't quite flat foot it and i'm 5 ft 11 )

Driving in 1st gear on the KX feels like 2nd on the KDX, it's kinda tall. I keep wanting to downshift the KX when i'm already in 1st.

The twisty/tight stuff was shockingly challenging for me. I need to find a good sugar sand tire. I can't trust the front end in any of it. I about dumped the bike 20 times when it won't turn. The KDX seems to have a much easier time.

Honestly, the only thing i like better about the KX as of now , is the frightening top speed ( i got it wide open alot today). and the ability to hit some small jumps i wouldn't tackle with the KDX. On takeoff the KDX gets me and then i have to play catchup.

If parts were readily available, i could almost see myself wanting a KDX 250 . I guess i will need some seat time on the KX to get used to it.
1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

The power is.... Awesome, but the gearbox isn't. Not for woods anyway. 1st on my 13/48 geared RM250 is taller than 2nd on my old KDX. My right hand gets TIRED in the tight stuff, but I love it :)

Dumped the bike 20 times because it won't turn? Don't know what that's about, must be a huge problem going on there.

The power of a 250 is downright fierce. From a rolling 2nd gear start, if I go WFO and use the clutch, I'll absolutely NEED to hold on. I'm 230lbs all geared up!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Also, you did the best thing possible by keeping the KDX. The KX will take Hundreds of dollars before it would even be worthy of replacing the KDX on any technical woods rides. Have fun and be careful :)
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:The power is.... Awesome, but the gearbox isn't. Not for woods anyway. 1st on my 13/48 geared RM250 is taller than 2nd on my old KDX. My right hand gets TIRED in the tight stuff, but I love it :)

Dumped the bike 20 times because it won't turn? Don't know what that's about, must be a huge problem going on there.

The power of a 250 is downright fierce. From a rolling 2nd gear start, if I go WFO and use the clutch, I'll absolutely NEED to hold on. I'm 230lbs all geared up!
It's the sugar sand. i can't hold a line, it swerves all over. The front tire isn't "steering". I need tires specifically designed for this stuff. Its light and you sink in it.
1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
Gionix

Post by Gionix »

Man this KX is awesome to ride in a MX track not in the woods. If i was you i put all the upgrades possibles to my KDX and keep it! But anyways I love KX bikes!
98 KDX200, Dyno Port Pipe, FMF Turbine Core II, Devol Radiator Guards. Pro-x Piston, N-Style Graphics and Seat Cover, Excel Rims.

My KDX Gallery: http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

The power of the 250 is nice, when in doubt throttle out you know. But a KDX 250 is much heavier than a KX 250. I ride my brothers CR 250 and it is great in the open but like you said 1st makes you want to find 1/2 gear in the woods. A little too much throttle in the woods will put you in the trees pretty quickly if you are not careful.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER