front wheel not centered 92 200

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I have installed the wrong spacer in the front wheel. Now where the one that is in there goes, I couldn't tell you yet.'

'Wrong spacer' meaning something in the wrong order? Where would the 'wrong' one come from? There is only one spacer on the outside of the hub. How wrong could one spacer be? :wink:

Where would a 'wrong' spacer come from? You got a 'grab-bag-o-spacers' you pick and choose from?

BTW...it don't matter if the rim came from Excel, Moose, DID or anyone else. It shouldn't effect the HUB spacing in regard to how IT fits between the fork legs...assuming (there's a big gamble) it was indeed laced up right.

How do the removed parts compare to the 'new' parts? While an old oil seal may be somewhat different looking than a new one..it's not going to be drastically different.

It doesn't help to have the bike not where you are.

Your next 'fresh' look at the situation will get it all sorted out!

Guaranteed!!! ...or your money back.

Good luck.

BTW..nothing wrong with allsballs bearings that replacing them in 4-6 months won't cure!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

'carver
I'm talking about the spacer in his hand...you can see the steel spacer (92027A) installed in the seal per his picture -that part seems OK. Yet, he needs more spacing to get the right distance between forks it seems. So what's up with that?
Maybe a hub from a different year model? If the rim is an excel, mebbe the whole wheel was fiddled with at one time.
One thing's for sure; that spacer in his hand is necessary - i.e., worked before he took it out... doesn't work now without it.

Don't worry, I'm only betting your paycheck on the "inner" spacer (92027A) relative to what I'm calling the "outer" aluminum spacer that was shown in his hand (not the spacer in the hub - which hopefully is still there) LOL. :wink:

jeopardy98, I bet the seal that's in there is the right one. That steel spacer (92027A) looks correctly positioned in your picture - isn't it in the seal? You have all the parts that were there originally, no?

My brain is starting to melt....this couldn't be that hard to figure out. :shock:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Oh well... Now I am confused.

Jeopardy, thanks for having asked me to give you some pictures. :blink:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Re: Where would a 'wrong' spacer come from? You got a 'grab-bag-o-spacers' you pick and choose from?
Actually it's more of a grab box and yes I thought I was replacing the one that came out but I'm thinking it was just a random that was in my grab box of parts and the one in my hand is the right one. :rolleyes:
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Carvr has it correct. Didn't we just go around Mary's house with another one of these wheels not lining up. It does not matter about the lacing because the hub will center even if there is no rim. Either you have a spacer missing or the odo drive is not installed correctly. These are the only things (assuming all the bearings are there) that can move the hub out of alignment. This one is probably the spacer on the left side. Since the brake is not lining up. Like Carvr said I'm sure the next time you look at it the problem will stick out like a sore thumb. Good luck.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I hope it does...stick out like a sore thumb, that is. MY thumb is certainly sore...having banged on it for awhile last night with a 2 1/2 sledge..taking that option for something to do as opposed to reading through this post again........

You are kidding about the grab-box part? No? No kidding...you took the parts off/out..put them in a pile or tray..then used that same stockpile to reassemble the front-end..right?

Is this:
yes I thought I was replacing the one that came out but I'm thinking it was just a random that was in my grab box of parts
a fact...or you yast yoking.

If the latter...let us do without the fun until the former is/are figured out...M'K? :neutral:

BTW...what picture am I missing this time? I don't see the 92027a spacer. I see an edge of something, but I can't tell if it's the 'same' as what KDXQ shows in his pic..which piece looks exactly like what's in hand.

No...this can't be that hard to figger.......so git-r done!

Consider the source

jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

I just don't know.

Here are both spacers that I have. The one is steel and one looks to be machined from aluminum. The one that I had in is the smaller of the two and the only one that is close to fitting in the seal. The old seal is the same size as the new seal.

My options. Run both spacers together butted up to each other (aluminum one between the steel one and the fork tube or try again with the steel (which I feel is the correct one) and see if I can keep the caliper from hitting the spokes.

As long as it rolls and stops without hitting anything, I don't care if it's in the center. Am I missing something that is very obvious because I feel like I've checked and double checked myself.

Steel on the left and aluminum on the right:

In the seal:

Not even close:
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Inside diameters the same?

By 'smaller of the two' I gather you used the one with the flange? That looks KAW-like to me. At least my 'H' spacers look like that.

That bearing looks funny. Why are there imprints on the seals? They look like they've been smashed..and that shouldn't ever happen.

In the bottom pics...the correct spacer should fit INside the bearing seal and fairly well match the inner race. The bottom pic looks like the better setup..but that's what won't fit?

It's the flange that faces the fork..the smaller part faces the bearing.

It still seems to me that the spacer should have a dust cap on it..that goes against the bearing seal to protect it.

Good grief. Something appears to be amiss, donut?

KDXQ...do your 'E' spacers have a dust cap on them?

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Remind me and we'll have a look at my '92 in the mornin
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

I know the rears have a dustcap on the "E" series but the fronts do not. Also, the imprints are not smashes but they are just indentions that are part of the design of the seal.

The setup with the smaller flanged spacer fitting into the seal is the one that puts the caliper into the spokes. I did have it with the flanged part against the fork and the smaller part against the bearing. Lastly, the inner diameter of the "Kawi looking" one is a little more precise on the axle then the one that appears to have been machined to replace the lost "Kawi looking" one. I think the PO did that.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Remind me and we'll have a look at my '92 in the mornin
That would be awesome. Thanks.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Measure the distance between fork centers at the triple clamp. That needs to be the distance between centers at the fork bottoms too. The forks will bind otherwise. It doesn't matter where the wheel sits between the forks as long as everything clears - but if that odo is right, it will set the wheel placement correctly to factory specs.

If the odo drive is set up correctly, the distance between the outer edge of the left side steel spacer and the fork tube should match the width of the aluminum spacer (based on the correct fork distance described above). If it doesn't, you need to trim or shim the aluminum spacer to fit. It really doesn't matter if there's a dust cap or not - dust gets in anyway but if you ride mud, just make sure it doesn't pack into the seal.

If you do the above it doesn't matter if something in the wheel is not to spec width-wise, such as a spacer, bearing or whatever. Just make sure the wheel bearings and hub spacer are tightly configured axially and the wheel spins freely.

Put it together and ride. :supz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Yes that is what I was thinking so I'm going to run both spacers if I can't make it fit otherwise.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Ok now my turn to throw a wrench in

one last look

Image[/img]

Might not be correct but it has worked for me so far :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

That sure looks like an old bearing inner race complete with seal gap-itis. this is like seeing an old stripper who shouldn't be stripping anymore..."put it back on, put it back on!". LOL... :wink:
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Well now I'm really confused. Okay I'm just going to try and squeeze them both in there and if they won't fit I'll have my dad machine me a spacer to work. This is the only thing holding me up (and the fact that I'm currently in Alabama) from riding the thing. Soon though... I can feel it.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

:pop:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Okay, one last request. Can someone with an "E" series take a picture from straight on so that I can see if it is supposed to actually be "centered". That would tell me if I should give it one more try with the spacer that I have in the bike already.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Bummer! My kodak is broken! :rolleyes:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine's centered

Gonna have to take my word for it though

Carvr can vouch but he's out riding the couch all week :neutral:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))