front wheel not centered 92 200

Got questions? We got answers....
jeopardy98

front wheel not centered 92 200

Post by jeopardy98 »

I tried putting my front end back together on my 92 and it seemed to go fine until I got it tightened up and I noticed that the wheel is not centered. The brake rotor is way too close to the fork tube and the caliper hits the spokes.

I can't see how in the world to get it moved over any though because the odometer pickup is against the other fork tube. I have the wheel assembled in this order. Odometer pickup-wheel bearing-inner axle tube-wheel bearing-dust seal-metal spacer. I just can't figure out what I have done wrong.

The second problem is that I can't figure out what the heck hold s the second brake pad in the caliper on the front. Can anyone assist me with that one? It just falls out. Lastly, can anyone tell me what the metal piece in my hand is?

I've included some pictures and I appreciate the help in advance.

2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

That is the spacer that goes on the brake side of the axle, look at the left side wheel bearing seal, it fits in there. Once in place, everything should be OK as far as alignment. Try depressing the brake piston some, then the pad should hold in place.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

It's not the pad that sits on the pins that won't stay in. It's the smaller one.

Also, I have a spacer inside the seal on the brake side but the one I'm holding in my hand doesn't fit inside the dust seal.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

That spacer in your hand has a dark line around its circumference which often can indicate seal contact, but in any case, you need more space between the fork and wheel...so? Try it there just outside the seal/spacer.

There is a stamped metal retaining clip for the brake pads - do you have that? Based on your picture I'd venture to say it's still in there and just needs to be properly positioned to hold the pad.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Yes, I know. I tried putting that spacer in the seal on that side but it doesn't fit "in" the seal. It will fit against it but that didn't seem right. Yes, I have the odometer bracket aligned correctly because that was one thing I double checked. What I don't understand is that the wheel needs to slide to the right but there is no room to the right because of the odometer pickup. A larger spacer on the right is just going to mis-align my left fork tube it appears.

Also, I do have the metal bracket thing and I think I have the brake pad part figured out. I just need to figure out how to get the wheel further to the right.

I do appreciate the help.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Either the forks are too close together or they are not. By adding or removing spacers one side doesn't hold in place while the other moves...neither fork has any advantage in that respect. If you are sure the odometer side is correct, and you have a left-over spacer....you might want to try putting it in place. The spacers that press against the inner wheel bearing race are steel, or aluminum with a steel insert. If that extra spacer is all aluminum it would go outside the spacer that presses against the wheel bearing through the seal.
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Okay, that is a possibility but the microfiche on ronayers didn't show two spacers and that was part of what was throwing me off.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Can I ask a stupid question???

The metal thing in your hand is the brake caliper...... :hmm:

I see two icons for missing pictures...did something get edited out?

The pads are held in place by the pins....both the pads.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

On "E" series the inner pad is not held on with the pins

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... KDX200-E4)

I think there's a clip that holds it in or something

I've had it fall out before when my pads were really worn
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My apology. I stand corrected.

**edit**
...and THIS time the collar picture showed up, too!

This may be another 'H' specific factoid..and having as much to do with the 'E' as the brake pin comment...but....

Is there no separate dust seal/oil seal on the 'E'? On the 'H' there is the oil seal that seats in the hub right next to the bearing..then the dust cap that is also a spacer. That fits against the oil seal (the plastic part) with the metal spacer part fitting against the inner bearing race.

Certainly no metal part is going to 'seat' against a seal/plastic part.

Note the part in your hand has different outer diameters..the larger of the two goes to the outside, I'd imagine. If the oil seal (the 92049 part) is new, I'd also imagine the spacer will be a tight fit especially with the new seal in the hub. Put some grease on it (the smaller end) and with a bit of twisting persuasion, it'll go.

Certainly, having leftover parts is a surefire way to not getting the best reassembled result.

This whole to-do has likely long since been sorted out...right?

Consider the source

jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Nope. I'll post up once it's sorted out. I'll try making that collar in my hand fit into the seal that is against the bearing. I really only work on the bike on Saturdays because it's at my dad's. I'll update next weekend or if I get a chance to swing by this week I'll see.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I'm not sure what exactly you have going on, but I too concur, that the collar/spacer that you show in your hand, Does go on the caliper side. It does need to go inside the oil seal. Just a guess on the wheel being off center, but you stated that the odo. pickup is against the fork, preventing the wheel from moving over any further? Thats normal. I believe it was stated that the odo. drive notches were lined up with the fork tabs? If so, are you sure the odo. drive is lined up with the wheel hub correctly? There are notches for the inside of the driver to sit in too. I know on my stock setup, you have to line up the drive in the hub just right, or it will stick out too far, thus moving the whole wheel over too far. Just a thought....... :hmm:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

jeopardy said:
Cleaned the rims up and discovered that the front is an Excel rim
Maybe this is the problem??
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

Nope, because that rim was on there before I took the front end apart and it fit fine. I'm thinking I just didn't try hard enough to get the spacer in there.

Could someone with an "E" series take a picture of each side of their front rim and forks and then one from straight on? I would appreciate it.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Maybe it was like this before? Who knows :wink:

:neutral:

Did you installed new wheels bearings?
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

For you, my friend.

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Looking at the picture that shows the left (brake side) ass'y at the axle, it looks like the steel collar IS in place that would penetrate the seal and properly set against the inner wheel bearing race. The picture of the collar-in-hand gives me the impression that it is made of aluminum. Steel doesn't look like that on an older bike, and I don't see an internal steel insert so it would not be used to press against the bearing.

I'd bet all of your paychecks that the spacer simply goes between that steel inner spacer and the fork housing. Whether that is the original setup or not; who knows....maybe the line around the collar's circumference is from a dust cap that once mounted there.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:Looking at the picture that shows the left (brake side) ass'y at the axle, it looks like the steel collar IS in place that would penetrate the seal and properly set against the inner wheel bearing race. The picture of the collar-in-hand gives me the impression that it is made of aluminum. Steel doesn't look like that on an older bike, and I don't see an internal steel insert so it would not be used to press against the bearing.

I'd bet all of your paychecks that the spacer simply goes between that steel inner spacer and the fork housing. Whether that is the original setup or not; who knows....maybe the line around the collar's circumference is from a dust cap that once mounted there.
Yep this is my idea too.

And Maybe the previous owner had to ADD a spacer because the exel wheel was not laced correctly?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Front hub. E4:

Re: '..I don't see an internal steel insert so it would not be used to press against the bearing.'

What's 92027?

You're referring to something else I presume?

If the 'in-hand' spacer came out of the assy..and if the assy was centered before it was taken apart..and there's an extra part..it obviously goes somewhere.

Where did the oil seal you used come from? What's the part number and what is its inside diameter compared to the OD of the spacer?

I s'pose, if the seal was replaced (as KDXQ asked) and it's the wrong part, that might be a problem.

Is it 'the same' as the one you took out? Does the spacer fit IN the seal you took out? I see a couple of things lying on the floor that are curious. IN the second pic..next to the white thing that looks like maybe a pull-tab from a grease cartridge is one. The other is in the 4th pic..in the middle of the RH pic edge.

What are those two things? Something that you replaced or reused?

Re: 'I'd bet all of your paychecks that the spacer simply goes between that steel inner spacer and the fork housing.'

I wouldn't bet anything on that...but only 'cuz I don't understand it at all. 'Between' the inner hub spacer and fork housing had better be a bearing!

Consider the source

jeopardy98

Post by jeopardy98 »

I am pretty confident that, after reading all of this and looking at KDX's pictures and the fiche again, I have installed the wrong spacer in the front wheel. Now where the one that is in there goes, I couldn't tell you yet.

Also, if after some more persuading I cannot get the spacer to fit into the dust seal I will order an OEM seal. The bearings and seals I used were from All Balls. :blink: Yes, I know, I read all the bad stuff after I had already ordered them. I know better now.
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200