how long do you keep your premix?

Got questions? We got answers....
jbroom

how long do you keep your premix?

Post by jbroom »

how long do you guys keep your premix before you dont' use it in the bike anymore? i hear that the oil breaks down the gas pretty quick, so i drain the tank and dispose my leftovers (in the truck usually) after a ride weekend. i don't always get out to ride that often though, so its an easy decision.

i mixed up a tank full a few weeks ago and didn't ride as much that day as i thought i was going to, so i have about a half a tank. i'm planning on draining it and mixing up some fresh stuff, but wondered what kind of time line you guys use for your gas.
Jon
KDX220, dr350 dual sport
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I really don't notice any difference in mine, but then again it stays in the tank no more than a month usually.
Shouldn't be a problem.
I'm sure wibby will shime in :wink:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I really don't notice any difference in mine, but then again it stays in the tank no more than a month usually.
Shouldn't be a problem.
I'm sure wibby will shime in :wink:
I was gonna pass on this one but since you had to bring my name up :wink:

A couple years back I messed up my neck and quit riding dirt for 1 1/2 years.
All that time my bike sat with a full tank of fuel. The day I pulled it out of the shop it took about a dozen kicks to get it running and it ran fine.

Back in '05 my bike had been sitting for 5 or 6 months when a bunch of guys came here to ride the State of Jefferson ride. I did not tell anyone at the time, but my bike ran 5 0r 6 month old gas on that ride

Maybe gas is better now or the oil? I dunno?

To save myself the confusion, I premix all the gas in cans around my house, even the stuff that goes in my lawnmower. I think this is why my mower always has started every season
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

My gawd, Wibbens and I do some things similarly - yikes.
I too use the mix for the lawn mower ....
And I too use 'old' premix - if its there, it is used; 8 mos or 2 weeks, never have had any problems. I do, however, drain the bike gas tank (because of the venting loss) if its been over a few months. But I just mix it back into the 5 gal gas can with the other stuff then use it again.
Most brands of premix contain fuel stabilizers.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

All my gas gets mixed with pre-mix. Otherwise I can't remember if it has oil in it. I run it in my lawnmower, my sons Yamaha TTR 90 4 stroke, my 50cc Honda Super Cub Chineese knock off, and my KDX220. I think the oil does act as a fuel stabilizer, and it also keeps the inside of the steel fuel tanks from rusting. I don't know if I would run pre-mix in a car that had to pass emissions testing. It might screw up the oxyegen sensors.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

I just have my own can for premix and I add the oil at the pump. No need to burn the good stuff in anything else :butthead: :lol:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I do not ever waste a drop... if it is too old to run in the KDX... it's lawnmower gas. :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dejovi22

Post by dejovi22 »

Like most of us... I don't waste any pre mix. Usually when I come back from a ride I don't remove any gasoline from the gas tank; I know that next time I ride I will put new gas and of course fill up the tank. I think the only problem might be the gasoline to loose octane, but since we are not racing AMA SX I don't really care. Just make sure to close your gas key and try to leave the carburator empty; that is where old gasoline might get gunky.
Dejovi22