newbie needs help !!!

Got questions? We got answers....
jaydollar
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

newbie needs help !!!

Post by jaydollar »

i bought bike (1999 kdx 220)back on 10-07.the first thing i did was install wiseco piston on advice from an old friend and ex racer.motor looked like new inside.rim locks never had a wrench on them. front and rears were original dunlop 490 frt and 695 rear. date codes 33 week of 98. any who,i just found this site and in the last few weeks have installed a set of 607 reeds.jetting is 42 pilot,145 main,1173 needle,clip second from the top,air screw out 1&1/4.i removed the snorkel and drilled six,5/8 holes in the air box lid. the bike seemed to run better with stock reeds.in the mean time my fmf gnarly woods pipe just got here friday3-7-08(motorcycleproshop.com)$192.00 in the door,whoo hoo!!!it is on the bike now but have not ridden it yet. i ordered a 38 and a 40 pilot along with a 142 and a 148 main as well as a cel and a del needle from pats small engine. i am around 500 altitude in texas and am looking for any advice to get it close before i go out.i have 3 new br8es plugs and will do a few plug chops when i get to my riding place on sunday.(30 miles away!)thanking you all in advance for any and all advice,JAY$
1999 kdx 220
rb carb, rb head pump gas mod. 607 reeds, airbox lid drilled
fmf torque pipe
fmf turbine core Q
trail tech endurance computer
13/49 gear
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

Welcome jaydollar! I have only been a member for about 8 months, but I think I can safely say we don't use terms like "any who" here. :lol:

I have a similar setup at about 760' altitude. No airbox lid. Happiness came for me at a 38 pilot and a 140 main . I was worried about leaning, but the plug looks good. Most of our riding is 2 and 3 rd gear tight woods. Once you get your jetting right you will love the reeds. I think it is one of the best $45 mods for my type of riding. But then again the R&B head is only $45 I have both and wouldn't give either up. Depending on the type of riding you do you may want to swap out for the Rev pipe. Most people recommend the Rev for the 220. I run the woods pipe, but I am old and slow and like the low end grunt.
Dewey
02 -KDX220
jaydollar
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

thanx dewey

Post by jaydollar »

i will try to tone it down!!,just snagged a 220 head off e**y,it is headed to rb-d tomorrow. do you know what needle you have by chance.im old and like the low down torque also and will keep the pipe,jay$.
1999 kdx 220
rb carb, rb head pump gas mod. 607 reeds, airbox lid drilled
fmf torque pipe
fmf turbine core Q
trail tech endurance computer
13/49 gear
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

The needle I am using is one from an OEM parts list (Ron Ayers, Bike Bandit, etc...). They list several different diameters. Mine is the R1175L/2AF I bought it before I learned of the CEL and so forth. It is a larger diameter than stock. Here is a link to some useful info. http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/jetneedles.html

If I remember correctly it retains he stock taper and is just larger on the straight section.

I'm not saying this is the best needle for everyone, but it is serving me well.

There are some people on here much more knowledgeable on this topic.

You'll love the R&B head. I don't have the carb mods yet. Right now I am pleased with the way my bike is running and don't really want to change anything, except suspension.

Good luck
:grin:
Dewey
02 -KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I don't own a 220. Any who.....

You're on the right track...namely intent on finding a jetting solution that suits you.

The torque profile pipe will take a bit leaner jetset than the rev profile does. Two bikes with the two pipes ridden the same in the same place won't have the same jetset...even if the two bikes are exactly the same.

..which they won't be.

The 33mm carby is a real stuffed up point on the 220. If bottom end is what you like...have no want to extend the top..the torque profile might suit you just fine. WITH a modified carb and head, the 220 will have enough of BOTH ends. Well...according to those that have that setup.

....any who.

:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!