HELP!! Save me from Pumpkin!!

Got questions? We got answers....
green_passion
Supporting Member

HELP!! Save me from Pumpkin!!

Post by green_passion »

Let me start off by saying that I have a love/hate relationship with my KDX 220r.

I love the nice bottom end power but hate not having the top end and a crisper throttle response to keep-up against my competition. (I do a *TON* of desert racing) Along with that, I have issues with my bike that I was wondering if anyone else was having so I could hopefully tell my mechanic that, no I'm not crazy and this is why. :grin:

Here are the upgrades I've done on my bike:

*FMF Knarly
*FMF Turbin Core 2 Silencer
*GPR Stablizer
*Re-wound the stator
*BRP triple clamps
*Front suspension re-valved & serviced
*Tranny refreshed and second gear replaced

Now here are the two problems I'm having:

First one is top end power. As I'm charging through the desert trying to pick-up speed, I push the bike into 6th gear only to have the bike bog down to where I have to keep it in 5th just to keep the RPM's up enough. It's fustrating as all get out because I want to go faster so I can keep-up with everyone. Anyone else have this problem with 6th gear?

Second one is stalling with the clutch lever completely pulled in. I've noticed that on my longer 40 plus mile races and especially now when the temps are warmer here, that if I slow down either rolling down hill or slow down period, holding the clutch lever all the way in, the bike stalls on me.
Any suggestions?

Oh and if you could yes please put any testimonials about the carb & head mods here too I would appreciate it so I can show the mechanic why I need them for my up and coming birthday. :lol:
:twisted:

Thanks a bunch!! :cool:
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress; no matter how slow." - Plato

2002 KDX 220-LONG LIVE THE KING!!! :supz:
My Gallery—Clicky!
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Just a guess here, but if you're saying that the engine bogs in top gear when riding in sand(desert riding), and comes back to life when you drop to 5th, it sounds like you don't have enough HP to pull top gear in soft terrain. I doubt there's a problem with 6th gear. Try a bigger rear sprocket, or for a big change, drop the front one by one tooth and see what happens.
Joe
'01 KDX200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

More top end or top speed, have you tried a rev pipe or equivalent?
Is your jetting spot on?
Joe may be right but I would also suggest doing the RB mods especially since you have a 220, it's suppose to give more top end.(amongst other things)
(please tell us you're not running the stock piston...)

Bike stalling with clutch in? Bad / old oil? worn clutch basket/plate? have you tried to adjust the lever play?
green_passion
Supporting Member

Post by green_passion »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:More top end or top speed, have you tried a rev pipe or equivalent?
Is your jetting spot on?
Joe may be right but I would also suggest doing the RB mods especially since you have a 220, it's suppose to give more top end.(amongst other things)
(please tell us you're not running the stock piston...)

Bike stalling with clutch in? Bad / old oil? worn clutch basket/plate? have you tried to adjust the lever play?
I havn't tried the rev pipe yet because I'm torn. I want the best of both worlds because with the desert races it can be a mixed bag of knarly technical stuff and wid-open, pinning it across the valley floor. I'll try changing the pipe later after I try out the carb/head mods.

Jetting may be a bit off because the bike it kinda feels like it's running a bit lean. Would running lean have an effect on the top end speed?

Oh no, I'm on my second Wiseco piston. We replaced the stock one as soon as we bought the bike because we knew about the faulty stock one.

Hopefully I'll have a nice birthday present in two weeks of a air striker carb and head mods. :D

I'll try changing the gears and with the additional mods in a few weeks and see how that goes.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress; no matter how slow." - Plato

My Gallery—Clicky!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I think you should buy one of Dez's bikes, it would be perfect! .... and it's green. :wink: :cool:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

feels like it's running a bit lean
Do a plug chop test to be sure.
the 220 should have enough low end grunt even after a swap to a rev pipe (guess it's a matter of choice though) lots of riders actually use the rev to get a bit more top end.
Last edited by scheckaet on 10:37 pm Mar 10 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

So what is your jetting?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
plb

Post by plb »

REV PIPE!!!!!!!!!!

I rode the Woods and the Rev and the Rev is AWESOME for the top-end power!!!

Put a 35mm carb from a KDX200 or do the big mods with RB -Designs carb and head mods. It helps too.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

RB Mod's totally transform the bike into an amazing machine!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Is there a reason to be riding a KDX 220 in desert races? Serious question. I would have thought you would want to be on a KX 500 or at least a KTM 300. The 220 outfitted as you describe is mighty pokey, but mine would do about 72 mph in 6th gear, with stock gearing and just the torque pipe. With all my mods, now it does a whopping 73-74 but with 12-47 gearing, and a rev pipe.

You could do all the good mods, but I still think you're on the wrong bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
green_passion
Supporting Member

Post by green_passion »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:Is there a reason to be riding a KDX 220 in desert races? Serious question. I would have thought you would want to be on a KX 500 or at least a KTM 300. The 220 outfitted as you describe is mighty pokey, but mine would do about 72 mph in 6th gear, with stock gearing and just the torque pipe. With all my mods, now it does a whopping 73-74 but with 12-47 gearing, and a rev pipe.

You could do all the good mods, but I still think you're on the wrong bike.
*sigh*

I'm seriously begining to wonder.. :?

I'm so attached to my KDX because it's my first bike but I'm starting to feel like I could better compete on a 300.

I just don't want to pay the hefty $8k price tag right now when for a few hundred bucks I can improve mine and keep me happy for a tad bit longer. :mrgreen:

Besides even if I got a 300, I don't think I could part with the 'ole mighty KDX. That bike still kicks butt in the rocks. :supz:

My Gallery—Clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

There are lots of 250 2T around for pretty short money, no need to go $8K, I'd think. You are at a HP disadvantage with the KDX
I'd be scared silly running the KDX in the desert at those speeds, especially with the stock front end!

Why not try the $45 RB head mod and a jetting adjustment to see if it will then pull 6th? I suspect if you're getting it to 45-50 mph now in 5th, you may find 65-70 mph kind of twitchy.

I have a nearly stock 220 and a RB modded CR/KDX 220 hybrid.

The motors are different as night and day; the RB mods make the hybrid motor feel ALMOST like a 250 MX 2 stroke
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
plb

Post by plb »

Fact: You don't have the good pipe for what you do (Woods vs Rev)
Fact: RB Designs can improve a lot
Fact: You can change the gearing for a faster setup

Question: Add more speed/rev/top to an inapropriate bike for Desert Racing is a good things?

The KDX is an AWESOME WOODS MACHINE when you ride single track on second/third gear in very wild terrain/mountain/hill/woods/rocks.

Doing desert race with? Maybe any stock MX 250cc 2strokes or 450 4strokes will do a better job than modified KDX.

I agree with the others. If you give some top-end to the bike and ride fast with, you NEED the front conversion to enjoy the power of the motor.

But, if you like your KDX, you can give these modifications and have a lot of fun with.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Too bad you're so far away....I'd sell ya my WR to use in the desert.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

I say keep the KDX and buy a used mx bike for the desert, that way you have style of bikes and a bigger smile on your face :mrgreen:
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you can't pull 6th gear...you do have a problem.

Assuming a couple of things...like you're not trying to short shift into 6th, say at 30mph.

While a bigger bore and better suited type bike will take care of some of your complaints..it will exacerabate others.

It'll cost squat (compared to another bike) to make the 220 run as it should. Fix the head, modify the carb, ensure the jetting is correct.

You're likely running the OEM needle? That's an error that getting your carb modified will take care of.

You've got your bike all stopped up...and don't like that it runs like it's all stopped up.

Tune the dang thing!!
:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
green_passion
Supporting Member

Post by green_passion »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:If you can't pull 6th gear...you do have a problem.

Assuming a couple of things...like you're not trying to short shift into 6th, say at 30mph.

While a bigger bore and better suited type bike will take care of some of your complaints..it will exacerabate others.

It'll cost squat (compared to another bike) to make the 220 run as it should. Fix the head, modify the carb, ensure the jetting is correct.

You're likely running the OEM needle? That's an error that getting your carb modified will take care of.

You've got your bike all stopped up...and don't like that it runs like it's all stopped up.

Tune the dang thing!!
:wink:
:lol: That's my plan! I'm going to hopefully get the boyfriend/mechanic to buy me all the goodies for my birthday in two weeks and go from there. :grin:

I post a report about it once I hopefully get everything done. :boogie:

On another note, we were talking about getting a YZ250 but I'd still have to tweak it to less pipey for me. Besides I think that I'd rather have the bottom end torque for the technical than too much top end that I can't control. I just want to be able to pull 6th gear when I need it. :D

Also the new KTM 300's have that niffty e-button that I sooo want but I will have to wait for. :cool:

My Gallery—Clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
green_passion wrote:
:lol: That's my plan! I'm going to hopefully get the boyfriend/mechanic to buy me all the goodies for my birthday in two weeks and go from there. :grin:

I

Boyfriend? :? :shock:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
green_passion
Supporting Member

Post by green_passion »

Boyfriend? :? :shock:
:lol:

Oh yes, did I mention that I am a rare species of female that loves to race/ride dirt bikes every weekend, dragging, begrudgingly the boyfriend along too. :mrgreen:

(That really is me poping a wheelie at a race earlier this year in my avatar. :supz: )

My Gallery—Clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

:grin: Wheeeeeeew! Cool!

Thought we were having another Broke Back Mtn. moment! :wink:

***edit***

not that there's anything wrong with that :neutral:

****edit****

Not that I have any kind of personal experience with that :shock:
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 04:19 pm Mar 11 2008, edited 1 time in total.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))