Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Seat height?

Post by Indawoods »

what the... #$%!@
I sat on my bike tonight and it's like 3 foot taller! :shock:
Well... maybe not 3 feet but it is definately taller. Must be the rebuilt shock and KX frontend that is making the difference.

38 and 1/4" high at the lowest point on the seat. Is this what everyone elses measures?
Did I shrink over the winter? :?

I wear 32 inch inseam britches but the ol KDX don't give much with me on it... and yes I just set the sag and it right. Maybe I will have to add some soles on the ol Alpines.... :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That measurement is with the bike on its wheels (own weight)?

Maybe it's the four quarts of oil in your shock.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 01:54 pm Mar 30 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup! That's right.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"Maybe it's the four quarts of oil in your shock."

HA! I work too cheap to put that much oil in there, even it it would hold that much. :mrgreen: Shock oil is 'spensive like!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... just went to the dealership and got some chain wax and air filter oil.

Sat on the 05 220 they had and my bike is definately taller by maybe and inch or two.
Sat on a KX250F and KLX300 too... I hate to say it but the KLX was pretty nice and felt better than the KX. The KLX had inverted forks... when did that happen? :shock: The KX had a real aggressive profile and little bitty tank. Put the KX motor in the KLX frame... it'd be nice.

For the folks following the fork grail... My 03 KX forks felt pretty close to the KX's... but the KLX's felt softer...proly rides nice.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You should have asked them what weight rider the bikes' sag were set up for... HUH??! :grin:

The KLX has had inverted forks since it re-emerged in 1994. They had the KLX250 in 1979 and 1980, then the KLX250R (notice the R) from 1994 until 1996, then they bumped it up to 300 for 1997 and newer. For just 2003, they had the KLX400, with one being off-road and one being street and trail. It was a lime green Suzuki DR-Z400. YUM! :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry. I forgot to measure mine last night. Maybe tonight...

Gotta remember...38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"38 and 1/4"...

Consider the source

kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

ouch :neutral: :grin:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This just in:

Mine is 35 5/8". Keep in mind I have a set of Devol pull rods set to 'long'. That adds 1.5mm (I think it is) to the rod length. When installed, I measured an approximate 3/8" drop from the oem rods.

So...call my bike 36" with stock rods.

38+?

Whoa. I couldn't handle that.

Ha! Re: tumors All last night at home I was thinking...'36 1/4" isn't so bad!' I'm starting to frighten myself............ :cry:

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... Kawasaki's site says 36.2 for the seat height. I'm only 2" over that! :lol: I'll re-adjust and see what I get....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

38"?? maybe you can enter it in some Monster Truck events, and cruise around with Big Foot chasing you.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

think thats rough try sitting on a 250
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Man... there is no way to get 2 inches out of the height... and i mean..no way. I can't even get a 1/4 inch out of it. I'll just think of it as extra clearance! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'd love an extra 2 inches !!! :lol:

So what is causing this ??

Was it the shock service or reassembly ??

While sitting on the bike I can reach down and pick something up off the ground, so any height increase will help me out. Good luck finding the culprit.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

From the pics in your gallery it looks like your foam is way cut down.... that's proly what the problem is! :neutral:

I have no idea what could be making it ride so high... guess I just gotta get out and beat it down...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

eat some wheatys spelling :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yep the foam has been shaved down by the previous owner. I have a new one sitting at Ski's house (or bike) waiting for its friend Mr Airstryker to come over.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Maybe you should send me your seat! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Your seat is safe wtih me Trev.

I just measured my bike:
With the sag lifted, meaning zero sag, suspension fully extened and measured from the ground with the tape measure running up from just behind the footpeg on the rider's left side, I measure.......(drum roll please......)
38 1/2 inches!!!!!! I win!!!
As a side note: I have the tall seat foam on my saddle and the KX forks have 1/2 inch sticking out of the top of the upper clamp. I also have a new M5B rear tire and a new M12 on the front. (The M5B is a soft terran tire with TALL knobs)

Also, with the bike resting on the ground and the sag removed, I have 14 3/4+ inches clearance measured from the bottom of the frame just under the left footpeg.

BTW I'm going to have a few KDX items on eBay if anyone is interested; a tall seat foam kit with gripper cover and a RB carb. (Use the "buy-it-now" feature and shipping is free!)

Just kidding!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yeah me wants !! How much ??? Oh DOH !!! :lol: :razz: