Want a FREE TRAIL TECH VAPOR ? Read On

Got questions? We got answers....
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Want a FREE TRAIL TECH VAPOR ? Read On

Post by TWMOODY »

If you want a FREE VAPOR contact Geoff at Trail Tech.

Here is my e-mail to support at Trail Tech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:59 PM
To: tech_support@trailtech.net; geoff@trailtech.net
Subject: Vapor Support

Geoff,
It has now been over two months sense I called in for support due to problems with my new Vapor mounted on my 2005 KDX 200 and with power hooked up to the magneto the tach more than doubles.
You were going to get a KDX in your shop for testing and get back to me.
Do you have an update ?
I purchased the Vapor and the $50.00 mounting billet and so far can't even use it.

Here are a few threads from KDX rider that show others with the same problem.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=55459#55459
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ight=vapor

I have been trying to get one in here - so far no luck. We can swap you out with Vector or you can return it for a refund. It is also acceptable if you put a post on the KDX forum that we will give a free unit to anyone who brings in a KDX for us to put Vapor on.

Best Regards,

Geoff Wotton
Trail Tech R&D
1600 SE 18th Ave.
Battle Ground, WA 98604
Ph: 360-687-4530
Fax: 360-687-8164
http://www.trailtech.net
Last edited by TWMOODY on 09:41 pm Mar 24 2008, edited 2 times in total.
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

Wished i lived closer
1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

>|<>QBB<
AwfulSmokey wrote:Wished i lived closer
+1

Oh, wait. I already have one. C'mon Washington, help us out!
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
september9

Post by september9 »

Nice people to deal with. I am a little too far away, but if somebody closer can help them, they would be doing everybody a favor. Even if you don't want a Vapor, maybe you could be convinced to let them borrow your KDX for a day or two?
1998 KDX 200
- 2000 KX 125 front end.
- Bills Pipe
- RB Head and Carb !!!
1987 Husqvarna 430XC
- Up-Tite Pipe
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I had problems powering up my Vapor as well until I hooked it to the the light side of the light switch.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
DougB
Supporting Member

Post by DougB »

C'mon Washington, help us out!

Took my 200 in to Trail Tech in Battle Ground WA yesterday Tues, 3-25. Responded to a thread on Thumper Talk "Free Vapor'. My understanding was that they didn't have a current KLX "package" and they were going to be fabricating one. In reading this thread I may have misunderstood the intent. Well, in any case I will report back with how it went and possibly they will be using my bike to address the problems you all are having. They do seem like good folks and have a very impressive machine shop and lab from what little I saw.

Doug
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Thanks, Doug! Can't wait to hear what they say.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
september9

Post by september9 »

Cool, thanks.
1998 KDX 200
- 2000 KX 125 front end.
- Bills Pipe
- RB Head and Carb !!!
1987 Husqvarna 430XC
- Up-Tite Pipe
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Did you take in a KDX or KLX ?
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Here is the post from TT, looks like someone from Trail Tech is asking
for a test bike !

Trail Tech Vapor computer

Have a KDX 200 or 220? Live near Vancouver, WA? Want a free Trail Tech Vapor computer? We (Trail Tech) are looking to borrow a KDX to check fitment for our Vapor computer (http://trailtech.net/vapor.html). We would only need to use your bike for a few days and we will let you keep the computer when we are finished. If this sounds like something you can help us with then send an email to arin@trailtech.net. Or you can give us a call at 360-687-4530. Thanks!
Last edited by TWMOODY on 08:44 pm Mar 28 2008, edited 1 time in total.
DougB
Supporting Member

Post by DougB »

TWMOODY- I took in a KDX 200.

Got it back today. I was in a hurry but, I spoke with Arin at Trail Tech briefly.
Seems the problem some of you are having is due to where you are hooking up the power source(causing erroneous RPM readings). It has to be from a regulated voltage source. I don't have time to take it apart today, but if you guys need something from me let me know. Maybe pics where he hooked things up? Let me know and I'll try to help. You should be able to call them Monday with Q's as well.

Doug
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Good to hear someone cashed in on the FREEBE !
What year is your bike ?
I have hooked in to all power sources including the regulator
with the same results.
Does your headlight have to be on to have power to the Vapor?
DougB
Supporting Member

Post by DougB »

TWMOODY,

No, headlight doesn't have to be on to work, but it was wired so the backlight doesn't come on till you turn on headlight tho'. Makes sense to me.
I'm going out to take the tank shroud off and look around and maybe take a pic or two this morning to see how it's connected. Arin says all was working fine, I have yet to verify, been too busy.

Looked into connections- power is connected to red wire in headlight area and grounded at coil. Everything looks pretty straight forward. From the Vapor unit there's one wire to the speedo pickup, one to temp where a connector was spliced into radiator hose and one to sparkplug for RPM pickup. Kinda funky the way you just wrap pick up wire around sparkplug. I tie wrapped it.

They just wrapped the power lead around the red wire in the headlight area and pushed it back together. I will change that in the future. Here are some pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US
DougB
Supporting Member

Post by DougB »

Sorry about the quality of the pics. I wanted to add that my tach fluctuates about +-500RPM.
I want to thank Trail Tech. I think I will be pretty happy with this unit.
And the price was right! :supz:
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<[quote="DougB"]TWMOODY,

No, headlight doesn't have to be on to work, but it was wired so the backlight doesn't come on till you turn on headlight tho'. Makes sense to me.

Having the headlight on is the only thing that comes close to stabilizing
the tach if the unit has power from the engine.
Does the RPMS go wacko after about 6k when it's powered by the headlight ??

That's cool they even gave you the mounting billet
DougB
Supporting Member

Post by DougB »

"Does the RPMS go wacko after about 6k when it's powered by the headlight ??"

Can't bring myself to crank and hold it that high-got close and it seemed OK. The tach doesn't seem to be the strong point on this unit. The graph readout works well, but the numerical readout is (I think) too sensitive. When I stated earlier the I was getting +-500 rpm that was on the numerical tach "screen" not the main or "normal" operating screen.
I haven't been able to even get the bike out of the garage since I got it back. The weather here has been incredible, snow, hail, wind, rain you name it. I was hoping to do a good road test and report back , but it will have to wait.
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

>|<>QBB<
DougB wrote:Sorry about the quality of the pics. I wanted to add that my tach fluctuates about +-500RPM.
I want to thank Trail Tech. I think I will be pretty happy with this unit.
And the price was right! :supz:
DougB -

Which mount is on your Vapor? I have a KDX with Renthal bars and the stock plastic mounts won't clear the factory bar clamps. I need to get the Vapor farther forward in order to clear the bar clamps. I have a feeling that the TrailTech mounting bracket that they used on your bike plus a custom bracket will make it work for me. If you don't know the model number of the mount a photo of it with the Renthal cushion off would help me.

Thanks!